• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Anime Gets 88-Hour 'Endless Eight' Streaming Event

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limmaestro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:16 pm Reply with quote
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
halo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Hell is real.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
But why, though? I’d bet the only thing many folks would even consider partaking in this if there was a special announcement at the end of it, but I find the possibility of that happening to be slim, unfortunately.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd compare it to the Groundhog Day marathons they have... but then I remembered how much it angers me... even after all these years...
catbot158

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
:O

oh noes...
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
"Japanese otaku are mostly masochists" theory-confirmed. xD

Quote:
But why, though?

Maybe they were bribed for a chance to win a Yuki dakimakura? :'D
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Your marathon is over four months late! Penalty!
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
But why, though? I’d bet the only thing many folks would even consider partaking in this if there was a special announcement at the end of it, but I find the possibility of that happening to be slim, unfortunately.

If there is a special announcement, it’d better be season three. Either way, though, I’m not interested; even though this is my favorite anime and I got through Endless Eight twice, I’m not so crazy that I’d follow along with this marathon.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
There is likely no expectation that anyone will actually attempt to watch the marathon for any particularly lengthy period - maybe see a single run, possibly two. It is a plain-old, relatively low-budget, PR stunt. Despite how many years have passed, Haruhi is still a money pot, so stirring attention will get them more donations to the pot. Plus, for some fans at least, it is a clever bit of meta-humor to marathon for 88 hours, Endless 8.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...the first seven of the "Endless Eight" episodes (12-18) of the anime will each stream for 88 consecutive hours. Therefore, the project will have a total of 616 hours of streaming content.

If the streaming event is 88 hours long, how will there be 616 hours of streaming content? or is the plan to air each episode for 88 hours, which then adds up to 616 hours?
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Quote:
...the first seven of the "Endless Eight" episodes (12-18) of the anime will each stream for 88 consecutive hours. Therefore, the project will have a total of 616 hours of streaming content.

If the streaming event is 88 hours long, how will there be 616 hours of streaming content? or is the plan to air each episode for 88 hours, which then adds up to 616 hours?

I can't tell if they mean EACH episode loops for 88hrs straight or if the first 7 eps stream CONCURRENTLLY before the 8th? The article communicates it REALLY poorly.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Epic troll move x8, this is.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Well played.
ly000001

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Quote:

I can't tell if they mean EACH episode loops for 88hrs straight or if the first 7 eps stream CONCURRENTLLY before the 8th? The article communicates it REALLY poorly.

They explain the math on the NicoNico site: there's 7 simultaneous streams you can watch the marathon on, so 7 x 88 hours = 616 hours.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
What are the chances of a season 3 announcement?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2