• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seven Senses of the Re'Union

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Thought it was a decent popcorn show but beyond that it was average across the board. The fact that it was trying to slap me across the face with Anohana's story didn't exactly endear it to me much.

I actually liked the fantasy game world setup even if it's really unoriginal by now, at least by some degree it put a spin on things. I found the character dynamics and unresolved angst were what kept me interested for the most part, even if the outcome was (painfully) obvious. Would have given this a 10 out of 10 if Haruto had actually picked Satsuki (best girl!) instead of Asahi (worst girl). Haven't heard a character voice that has annoyed me that much since Asterisk War.

Subverting my expectations would've gone along way in helping this show stand out for me but in the end it didn't really try. If this eventually got a sequel it might be worthy of a pick up and re-watch..
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The twelve episodes apparently animate most of the novel content to date, so a sequel necessary for completing the bigger picture of the story will be a long time off if it ever happens.

I, um, wouldn't hold my breath for a second season. This show has the unfortunate distinction of being one of the lowest-selling anime ever, with just 58 copies of the first Bluray sold in Japan.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Quote:
The twelve episodes apparently animate most of the novel content to date, so a sequel necessary for completing the bigger picture of the story will be a long time off if it ever happens.

I, um, wouldn't hold my breath for a second season. This show has the unfortunate distinction of being one of the lowest-selling anime ever, with just 58 copies of the first Bluray sold in Japan.

Wow that's surprising, I though having an Isekai/trapped in mmo show would guarantee a decent amount of sales. Maybe the trapped in mmo crowd people got scared by the anohana stuff and the anohana crowd got scared by the mmo stuff and so no one watched it. I was surprised by just how little people talked about it last season.
StrayCat45

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
It's not that surprising, really.
So far I've watched all 12 episodes of Subaru and most of the joy came from dismantling it in reviews rather than watching it.

It's an anime where not only game settings and plot, but also even the basic character motivations (for non-Subaru members) seem to change randomly by each episode. And even for Subaru members, are we supposed to believe that a guy who carried a torch of unrequited love for 7 years just suddenly decided to have another crush after exactly 3 episodes?

The first season has introduced too many contradictions (wth is sense anyway) that another season won't save it. In fact, it would only make things worse, if anything else. There's also the fan impression that it's a poorly done copy of Anohana and SAO (why is it not .Hack, seriously?). Nope, Ousama Game would have better potential for a second season compared to this mess.
Phrunicus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The twelve episodes apparently animate most of the novel content to date

Feels like maybe they should've waited for more then, and then either tightened it up, or had enough that they could flesh it out properly for say a 2-cours that gets somewhere.

To me, it felt like they either didn't do *enough* world-building, and/or didn't do the RIGHT world-building.

Like, I didn't mind the concept of not having as many action sequences in favor of more mystery/drama... but then they totally fell down on the mystery/drama parts. I don't really care how all the game mechanics worked, but a little more about Senses (in game) would've been nice. And why did Haruto sign in with seemingly his old account, with his Sense (or in part his Sense, I think it was sorta locked away or something like that?), but no equipment.
Crimson_Dragoon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside the mess was this story's world building and the bad game design, it was the central romance that bothered me the most. The story completely glossed over the fact that Asahi, who "died" in elementary school, woke up unaware that any time had passed. Mentally she would have been the same age she was when she died, and she certainly acts it. So we have these 16 year old boys fighting for the romantic affections of a 10 year old girl, and its just creepy.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:50 am Reply with quote
To me, 'Not brilliant, but always fun' seems like a fairly accurate encapsulation of this show. This is a show which seems to ooze potential, yet in my mind it repeatedly failed to make the most of it. I wished it would have delved more deeply into matters like what exactly Asahi has become, what the Pleroma corporation is up to, Todoroki's willingness to spend his life in a virtual world, etc. It seemed highly reluctant to do that, but the characters are likeable, the jokes are OK, and there was enough to the story to keep me interested. Indeed, it was my favorite anime of the season (Summer 2018 seemed a pretty mediocre season to me) and the first one I watched (sometimes twice) each week. Given how it was seldom unquestionably brilliant, I sometimes found myself wondering why it was as much fun as it was. Perhaps we get to know Asahi and Haruto and the others well enough that we absolutely must have a happy ending for them. We never really get a definitive answer to the question of how Asahi's mind has survived within Re'Union, but that's okay because the story has a definite charm to it nevertheless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1