• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Animators, Researchers Develop Automated Technique for Coloring Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This technology will either offset the excessive workloads of certain staff in anime studios, or else it will further increase the industry's output without any improvements to working conditions. The slightest of hunches suggests that one of these outcomes is more likely than the other...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
A reminder that art requires a soul to do right and automation is not the solution because automation lacks a soul.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a waste of money, it's not like colouring in is really labour intensive.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
This pretty awesome as the automaton future will enable faster development of animes and lead to a more sophisticated and higher workforce. Consider the degrees needed to software development, maintain and enhance sophisticated backbone based infrastructure and data centers, as well as the innovation needed to improve and enhance AI.

The day will come when anime stories will even be created by AI themselves as well.

Hoping for the best in 2020.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
A reminder that art requires a soul to do right and automation is not the solution because automation lacks a soul.

A reminder that those might just be fancy words in the future.
micah007

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for progress and technological advancement in the industry. At least some elements are changing even if on a micro level, meaning total stagnation has not taken root and methods of increasing efficiency are being discussed. Best case scenario more advancements like this could lead to better working conditions from the crap ones we always talk about.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I'm not convinced this is going to work out without a lot of human input. Ignoring the artist's specific vision for a scene, I'm not convinced in an AI's ability to consistently recognize 2-D character models and properly color and shade them to fit the appropriate lighting of a given scene. It seems simply too complicated by itself. The demonstration will have to really go in-depth to prove their tech.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
The day will come when anime stories will even be created by AI themselves as well.

Yeah, when said AI bear Reploid/Solo Net Navi Megaman styled personalities akin to like that of a human's.

If you want to say "anime sucks nowadays", you can say it. I doubt it that most anyone outside of those who have legitimate cultural experiences and a want to understand gets what makes anime in all of its forms and media what it is though. Giving it to an AI is not going to make it better either.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
^you can google paintschainer or s2p.moe and try them yourself

Most recent version of Clip Studio Paint also added similar function with better accuracy (since you're the one who choose what color goes where) and HD.

They're pretty decent for base color if your style is soft watercolor esque, or if you're too lazy to color doodles (and just want to see how it looked like colored).
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

Crafters been saying this for generations as their trades become obsolete with the advancement of technology. Carpentry, masonry, metalwork, and more. For this generation, Cel Animation giving way to CGI and AI. I believe this is what Miyzaki was referring to with his comments.

But there is a glimmer of hope, traditional animation will surely not die, just like how there are still carpenters, blacksmiths, masons. Technology may make things more efficient, there will always be someone carrying the torch of the original craft. And someday people will look back to see old methods and see the foundation as valuable for a new stage in the evolution of the art.

At the same time, AI could help blossom soloist animators who don't have huge budgets or access to businesses get their works noticed on Youtube and such, and their ideas making it on TV or the big screen. So it's a rather interesting time with animation.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
This really doesn't seem like it would be that hard to pull off, honestly. You'd basically need to assign a different code to each color and then code each segment of each frame with its assigned color (which they do already), and then just have a computer plug each color into its assigned space instead of a person doing that by hand, which would speed up the process significantly, but you'd still need a person to assign the codes in the first place. This seems like a pretty reasonable progression of technology, unless they're planning on doing something different and I just didn't catch that.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:25 am Reply with quote
Coloring in anime is often a pretty thankless job, and takes a lot of time to do. It has less artistic input (in most cases) than the other steps in the process, so it makes sense to hand it off to automation and then spend fewer hours fixing it up with a human hand than doing it all from scratch. Since automation won't be perfect, the work it produces won't go unsupervised.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It was a big deal when digital animation meant no longer having to work with oil paints, since it obviously reduced the work load and cost. There was a period where digital animation definitely looked weirder and less "warm" and good than cel animation, but I think the hurdles causing that were eventually sorted out.

Something like this, similarly, is a tool that may be beneficial. I also believe it's likely going to require a good deal of human input and tweaking regardless, but it could potentially be a great help in a similar manner to that last big leap. If, and only if, it ends up being a worthwhile tool for artists.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

A reminder that the future may become (even more) grim.

In fact, the lack of soul in manga and specially in anime, is a thing that has worried me since 10 years ago. I still remember when the manga/anime art-style looked absolutely wonderful in my eyes. Now, I find it very dull.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:50 am Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

A reminder that the future may become (even more) grim.

In fact, the lack of soul in manga and specially in anime, is a thing that has worried me since 10 years ago. I still remember when the manga/anime art-style looked absolutely wonderful in my eyes. Now, I find it very dull.

Maybe you have gotten old? Or simply do not bother to find more manga or anime with less mainstream style. I still find manga with style/feel like those published 20 years ago from time to time even in magazine like Shonen Jump (even discounting long-running stuff like OP or HxH).

This automated coloring stuff isn't always bad, especially considering "coloring" in anime is even less regarded than in-between. Heck, even in comic/manga scene colorist barely got recognized and that's usually only the ones who do complete coloring rather than someone who do just flats.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2