Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Government Aims to Impose Penalties for Downloading Illegal Books




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 13094
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
OK, prosecuting people for on-line piracy as difficult that pirate can find legal loopholes or use different account names. That said, say we do start prosecuting more people. For those that pull the false copyright cards, will Japan implement the same penalties had the accused actually pirated a work?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Asaaaasd



Joined: 07 Nov 2018
Posts: 48
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
For those that pull the false copyright cards, will Japan implement the same penalties had the accused actually pirated a work?

Obviously not. Piracy is seen as theft to most governments, and you a false accuser isn't punished as severely as a thief.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crosswithyou



Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 2844
Location: California
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Japan's Agency of Cultural Affairs revealed on Friday that it plans to instate a penalty for anyone who pays to download

Um, so this doesn't apply as long as you're not paying to download it? Or does paying for an internet connection which is then used to download illegal stuff constitute as paying to download?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Just Passing Through



Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 266
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
Japanese prisons must have a real undercrowding problem...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Firefly251



Joined: 14 Jul 2018
Posts: 318
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Quote:
Japan's Agency of Cultural Affairs revealed on Friday that it plans to instate a penalty for anyone who pays to download

Um, so this doesn't apply as long as you're not paying to download it? Or does paying for an internet connection which is then used to download illegal stuff constitute as paying to download?


this is what i understood it as.

payign for internet is for using net. it wouldnt be applied to WHAT you download.

so any F2R (free to read) would effectively slip through cracks of law.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kadmos1



Joined: 08 May 2014
Posts: 13094
Location: In Phoenix but has an 85308 ZIP
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Asaaaasd wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
For those that pull the false copyright cards, will Japan implement the same penalties had the accused actually pirated a work?

Obviously not. Piracy is seen as theft to most governments, and you a false accuser isn't punished as severely as a thief.

Be it a violent crime or piracy, I think a false accuser of said crime should get the same sentence as someone who committed the crime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
digidragon
ANN Past Staff


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 173
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys, just wanted to point out that there's been a correction to the article. The bit about paying to download was a translation error. It's more like "downloading things you should pay for." Article is updated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group