• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sega's Panzer Dragoon Game Gets Remake in 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
They should also consider remaking Panzer Dragoon Saga, the infamous RPG entry in the series that costs a fortune to buy secondhand since Sega allegedly lost the original source code for the game (and could no longer print more copies beyond the first run).
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If i'm not mistaken the source code for the first three panzer dragoon games where lost in a fire which is why the older games have never ported to any modern hardware. Regardless this is very good news & i'm looking forward to these remakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
While original fans might enjoy, I suspect these games won't hold up to modern audiences. Like every game now has a huge open world. Who wants a rail shooter where you don't get to actually control the dragon?
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:04 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
While original fans might enjoy, I suspect these games won't hold up to modern audiences. Like every game now has a huge open world. Who wants a rail shooter where you don't get to actually control the dragon?

It's called retro gaming. Also the kind of game Panzer Dragoon is at least utilizes their format to their advantage.
Drowsy_drowzee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I always wanted to play one of those games.
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I am looking forward to this.

Uhh… every copy should have the source code....

Sega must be lying and could be holding a grudge I think.

You can copy any game as it is. The RPG Panzer is no different.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Wrong Dragoon game that needs a remake. While this is nice I still am eternally waiting for a Legend of Dragoon remake on a next gen system. One day maybe.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Remington Steele wrote:

Uhh... That's not how games work. The finished copy you own on disc or in your console digitally does not have the source code in its data. What you have is code that is (ideally) optimized for the console/computer that you are playing it on. The source code is not really meant to be played, and really is only truly playable on a computer, since that's what video games are actually developed on. That's why such a big deal was made earlier this year when a fan came across the "gold disc" for Starcraft, which was effectively the source code that Blizzard somehow lost, and Blizzard got in contact with that fan to get it back. If Starcraft's source code was simply on every single physical copy, then there'd be no need for a gold disc, not to mention anyone with a knowledge of how to work code could illegally port any old game to any system, theoretically. Source codes exist partially to make sure something like that doesn't happen.

Going by your logic, any movie you own on DVD, or at least just VHS, has the original master on it, so you should be able to remaster any movie using any old home video release. No, just like movies, games have their own original "source", and they can be lost, damaged, or downright destroyed. Similar to how movies sometimes become lost over time because the original masters either got misplaced or were destroyed in some fashion, on purpose or by accident,, the same happens to video game source codes, and the Panzer Dragoon series (especially Saga) is one of those incidents.

Now, to be fair, could Panzer Dragoon Saga be technically ported over to other consoles by using the code on the finished Saturn CDs that saw release? Yes, technically, but that would be even harder & time-consuming than it would be to work off of the already difficult Saturn source code. The team that ported Panzer Dragoon 1 to the PS2 tried doing just that in order to include a "Saturn Mode" , but even that wound up being different from the original Saturn version.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
When folks bring up Panzer Dragoon I start fondly remembering The Legend of Dragoon ...
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
Huh, so this is happening. Can we get remakes of Sakura Wars next?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
Not being made by the original creators sort of puts a damper on the whole thing, I know the people who made it don't work for SEGA any more, but still these people do not bring confidence
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
If i'm not mistaken the source code for the first three panzer dragoon games where lost in a fire which is why the older games have never ported to any modern hardware
The source code for the 3rd game was lost, not in a fire though, I think they threw away some old computers and one just happened to have the source code on it.
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:22 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Remington Steele wrote:

Uhh... That's not how games work. The finished copy you own on disc or in your console digitally does not have the source code in its data. What you have is code that is (ideally) optimized for the console/computer that you are playing it on. The source code is not really meant to be played, and really is only truly playable on a computer, since that's what video games are actually developed on. That's why such a big deal was made earlier this year when a fan came across the "gold disc" for Starcraft, which was effectively the source code that Blizzard somehow lost, and Blizzard got in contact with that fan to get it back. If Starcraft's source code was simply on every single physical copy, then there'd be no need for a gold disc, not to mention anyone with a knowledge of how to work code could illegally port any old game to any system, theoretically. Source codes exist partially to make sure something like that doesn't happen.

Going by your logic, any movie you own on DVD, or at least just VHS, has the original master on it, so you should be able to remaster any movie using any old home video release. No, just like movies, games have their own original "source", and they can be lost, damaged, or downright destroyed. Similar to how movies sometimes become lost over time because the original masters either got misplaced or were destroyed in some fashion, on purpose or by accident,, the same happens to video game source codes, and the Panzer Dragoon series (especially Saga) is one of those incidents.

Now, to be fair, could Panzer Dragoon Saga be technically ported over to other consoles by using the code on the finished Saturn CDs that saw release? Yes, technically, but that would be even harder & time-consuming than it would be to work off of the already difficult Saturn source code. The team that ported Panzer Dragoon 1 to the PS2 tried doing just that in order to include a "Saturn Mode" , but even that wound up being different from the original Saturn version.

Actually, many remasters have been done off of copies. In this digital age, a copy should be more than sufficient to port any game over as a game designed for the SNES or N64 or even the PS1, can be digitally altered on the coding level to make it playable. I honestly don't see the issue. Emulators do this same exact thing.

I honesly think Sega is holding a grudge.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1