Forum - View topic
Writer Kinoko Nasu: Fate/Grand Order Story to End After Arc 2


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HoboSoup



Joined: 06 Aug 2017
Posts: 241
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
I remember reading about this recently. I'm genuinely curious to see how things end and where they go from there. I also still want a Fate fighting game from Arc System, maybe one day?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jl07045



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 1440
Location: Riga, Latvia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
Nasu when he was writing Fate/CCC: "This is the last Fate thing I will ever write".

Nasu when Fate/Extella was announced: "Remember when I said that I'm done with Fate? That was a lie."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverTalon01



Joined: 02 Apr 2012
Posts: 1910
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'll believe this when I see it (not that he said it, but that it happens). The game makes way too much money for them to want to stop. Nasu might stop writing for it, but I don't see it ending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FlareKnight



Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Posts: 108
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:58 am Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
I remember reading about this recently. I'm genuinely curious to see how things end and where they go from there. I also still want a Fate fighting game from Arc System, maybe one day?

Well I think we go straight to Arc 3. Just with a different writer. With the money that game is bringing, it isn't going to end with Part 2. Though I can see Nasu being a bit tired with FGO. Taking a step back to do other things would be sensible. It just isn't remotely believable that the story ends with Part 2.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mad_Scientist
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 2693
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I'll believe this when I see it (not that he said it, but that it happens). The game makes way too much money for them to want to stop. Nasu might stop writing for it, but I don't see it ending.


Yeah this pretty much. FGO is such a big cash cow I can't imagine that the devs will want to give it up till they've milked it dry, or announced and launched a successor. But maybe Nasu will move onto other stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Animorphimagi
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 29 Oct 2015
Posts: 118
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
I love his mention of Undertale and FFIV, two series that I think he has surpassed and I can't wait for arc 2.
I just hope anime adaptations for his works focus more on his previous works rather than the arc 2 of FGO. I'm excited for the Camelot movies and Babylon series, but in the future I'd rather see Fate/Prototype.
Also I have high hopes for the animation of Sir El Melloi and Friends; the first episode was more or less exactly what I wanted.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jl07045



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 1440
Location: Riga, Latvia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 am Reply with quote
Case Files is not his work and Prototype is not even a thing unless you mean Fragments, which is also not his work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smokeyjoey8



Joined: 04 Aug 2014
Posts: 83
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:39 am Reply with quote
It’ll be interesting to see how this game does financially now. I can’t imagine people will be eager to drop cash on it knowing the end is coming now. Sure, Aniplex can keep it going, but hearing the main guy say that he intends to end it could really hurt it over time, causing Aniplex to decide to end service.

It’ll be even more interesting seeing it’s international version after this. Can’t imagine western whales being too thrilled about throwing hundreds or thousands at waifu jpegs when the game could be terminated in a couple years, maybe even sooner.

Honestly, Nasu shouldn’t have been allowed to make this announcement. Wait until it’s actually the end, not a year or so beforehand, otherwise you risk tanking the game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavenDaRogue



Joined: 03 Jul 2017
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:29 am Reply with quote
Wait, this story is already 2 weeks old. Wasn't he telling people that arc 2 will be the last HE's working on, and not the end of the game?. F/go has at least 4 other writers other than Nasu. They could also ask let's say Urobuchi to write the next arc. Game doubled it revenue this year. You don't kill such a milk cow.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
natchu96



Joined: 03 Jan 2014
Posts: 183
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:40 am Reply with quote
Nasu honestly doesn't even write most of the stuff, only the bigger and more important bits. There's plenty of non-main-story content to go around anyway, and the string of waifus isn't likely to end.

They could easily put this game into eternal Epic of Remnant + holiday meme event state until Nasu inexplicably wants to write something again. If he ever does. Either way works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
XerneasYveltal



Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 507
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 am Reply with quote
Those who have been waiting for a remake of the Tsukihime visual novel that is still in Type-Moon's development pipeline are apparently rejoicing by the time this news broke out.

But whatever Nasu says is to be taken with a grain of salt. If I'm not mistaken, he once claimed that the PDF for Babylonia was short, only to admit that it ended up being too lengthy by the time he turned it in.

Nasu isn't the only scenario writer involved in Grand Order, so there's a possibility that he may be in closer touch with other writers who also took part like Hikaru Sakurai to keep the story going. It is noted that Gen Urobuchi returned as a scenario writer for the SIN episode of the Cosmos in the Lostbelt arc.

And lastly, I don't think it makes sense for Grand Order to hit the end of the road while it is enjoying financial success from a business perspective given that it is one of several things that kept Aniplex afloat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrizy



Joined: 30 Aug 2018
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
It’ll be interesting to see how this game does financially now. I can’t imagine people will be eager to drop cash on it knowing the end is coming now. Sure, Aniplex can keep it going, but hearing the main guy say that he intends to end it could really hurt it over time, causing Aniplex to decide to end service.

It’ll be even more interesting seeing it’s international version after this. Can’t imagine western whales being too thrilled about throwing hundreds or thousands at waifu jpegs when the game could be terminated in a couple years, maybe even sooner.

Honestly, Nasu shouldn’t have been allowed to make this announcement. Wait until it’s actually the end, not a year or so beforehand, otherwise you risk tanking the game.


I'd say little to no impact. The game revolves around the characters. We drop our money in hopes of getting the characters (waifus husubandos lol). The story is just a bonus.

I don't see any reason this game will be terminated in a couple years, based on the fact alone that it is a top earner in both Japan and Worldwide.

Heck they don't even need Nasu actually. The current arc has various writers, most notably Urobutcher.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AksaraKishou



Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 1062
Location: End of the World
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
Chrizy wrote:
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
It’ll be interesting to see how this game does financially now. I can’t imagine people will be eager to drop cash on it knowing the end is coming now. Sure, Aniplex can keep it going, but hearing the main guy say that he intends to end it could really hurt it over time, causing Aniplex to decide to end service.

It’ll be even more interesting seeing it’s international version after this. Can’t imagine western whales being too thrilled about throwing hundreds or thousands at waifu jpegs when the game could be terminated in a couple years, maybe even sooner.

Honestly, Nasu shouldn’t have been allowed to make this announcement. Wait until it’s actually the end, not a year or so beforehand, otherwise you risk tanking the game.


I'd say little to no impact. The game revolves around the characters. We drop our money in hopes of getting the characters (waifus husubandos lol). The story is just a bonus.

I don't see any reason this game will be terminated in a couple years, based on the fact alone that it is a top earner in both Japan and Worldwide.

Heck they don't even need Nasu actually. The current arc has various writers, most notably Urobutcher.


Tbf most of the whole thing belongs to Type Moon, not Aniplex and not DW and with TP being co owned by Takeuchi and Nasu... Yeah.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jl07045



Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 1440
Location: Riga, Latvia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:32 am Reply with quote
If you read the interview, Nasu says himself that DW has the final word about what happens in FGO.
And I'm pretty sure that if Sony says that it must continue, it will continue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dark_bozu



Joined: 03 Sep 2012
Posts: 131
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
There's already news about hiring a third game director that would probably work on 3rd FGO arc. So I doubt that Aniplex and TM plan to kill FGO after part 2 end. I bet on another EoR-like fillers and part 3 with another writer(s) and new game director.

I just hope that Nasu would work on old titles and won't start another "fate". Tsuki remake, mahoyo 2, DDD, heck - he could even work on angel notes, it is too awesome to be just a short story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group