• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Taku Kuwabara's Drifting Dragons Manga Gets Anime in January 2020 by Polygon Pictures

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alconnow_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
I love food anime so I will definitely be watching this. I’ll also buy the manga at some point.
Airiiin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
Another beautiful story ruined by fugly CGI animation. Japan is so great at 2D animation, why do they have to do this. It saddens me.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am Reply with quote
I figured that there would be CG elements involved just given the mechanics of the ship they're on and possibly the dragons... but man if there was any manga I didn't want to see be made into a full on CG show it was Drifting Dragons. Oh well, as long as it helps boost the manga's popularity so it can run as long as it needs to I'll live I guess...
Ajc228

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:34 am Reply with quote
I was excited to see this manga get an adaptation and then I saw Polygon Pictures was attached to do the animation... Oh well, I can always read the manga instead.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
This has some potential but the CGI really hurts... Sad
db5007

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Airiiin wrote:
Another beautiful story ruined by fugly CGI animation. Japan is so great at 2D animation, why do they have to do this. It saddens me.

Actually this is a *VERY* good question. Here is why:
- Population shrinking in Japan, less talent coming into the industry
- Working conditions are not favorable for the artists-- very low wages. This is not inspiring people to go into the field
- New talent often just self publishes work on Social media since they have full creative control
- Smaller profit margins from shrinking market conditions in Japan are forcing studios to outsource. Hard to keep fulltime staff as a result.
- Drawing is a very specialized skill. CG is sort of an equalizer allowing a broader and more available talent pool.

I LOVE 2D animation, and want to see more.. but unfortunately conditions are such that its very difficult to make. I constantly am trying to think of ways to fix this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1