Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Made in Abyss Compilation Film's English Dub Trailer Streamed




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
#Synaesthesia



Joined: 30 Jan 2019
Posts: 21
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see this on a big screen. My speculation is that this will be eps 1-8.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meruru



Joined: 16 Jun 2009
Posts: 343
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:17 pm Reply with quote
These anime compilation movies are so pointless. The one theater by me that plays them doesn't even use real film. It's just projecting a feed off a DVD/blu-ray. It's really obvious too, because when the picture is blown up that big, you can make out individual pixels.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheAncientOne



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 1814
Location: USA (mid-south)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
The one theater by me that plays them doesn't even use real film. It's just projecting a feed off a DVD/blu-ray. It's really obvious too, because when the picture is blown up that big, you can make out individual pixels.

The resolution in most cinemas with digital projection (which is the overwhelming majority these days, as very few still use film) often isn't much higher than HD Blu-ray. In fact, depending on the aspect ratio, the vertical resolution is actually lower.

Most theaters are still 2K projection, which utilizes an image no more than 2048 pixels wide, regardless of the aspect ratio. The vertical resolution drops the wider the aspect ratio, so that for a CinemaScope presentation, it is only 858 vertical pixels.

There are 4K cinema projectors, but they aren't widely deployed (and an anime film would be unlikely to have a 4K master). Think of it as the film equivalent of 75mm vs. 35mm and how likely you were to have a theater with the the latter rather than the former in the old days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuuma_monou



Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Posts: 1537
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:08 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
These anime compilation movies are so pointless. The one theater by me that plays them doesn't even use real film. It's just projecting a feed off a DVD/blu-ray. It's really obvious too, because when the picture is blown up that big, you can make out individual pixels.


Would recent anime movies even have film prints?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GeorgeC



Joined: 22 Nov 2008
Posts: 735
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:56 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:


Would recent anime movies even have film prints?



Nope.

They're trying to save money.
That's why virtually every production company has gone done digital.
It's cheaper than having to pay to process 35mm film stock.
Oh, 35mm film stock is STILL being produced but fewer productions use it and most studios push digital because it's cheaper not because it's better.

Most anime isn't being done at 4K resolution, either.
They're still producing primarily towards the 1080p/Blu ray resolution level and even then a lot of those TV productions if I've read correctly were bumped up from 720p/1080i resolution.
It's all about time and economy.

On the live-action side, many films are STILL being film at 2K resolution. When they get released on 4K Blu ray discs, THOSE are actually upscaled and many times not much better than the previous Blu ray releases BUT the home video companies WILL CHARGE MORE for the 4K discs!

Both Deadpool and Captain America: The First Avenger were 2K films upscaled to 4K resolution.
The results are still nowhere near as bad when they try to upscale ANALOGUE standard definition video. That looks awful at least 85% of the time.
Upscaling from digital video sources generally works better if 16mm or 35mm film prints aren't available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MarshalBanana



Joined: 31 Aug 2014
Posts: 3355
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:


Would recent anime movies even have film prints?



Nope.

They're trying to save money.
That's why virtually every production company has gone done digital.
It's cheaper than having to pay to process 35mm film stock.
Oh, 35mm film stock is STILL being produced but fewer productions use it and most studios push digital because it's cheaper not because it's better.
Would there even be a film print for a digipaint film? When it was done on cels they were shot layered frame by layered frame onto a film reel. But for a digipaint show there is no film, so could you even copy the digital files onto a film reel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
TheAncientOne



Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Posts: 1814
Location: USA (mid-south)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Would there even be a film print for a digipaint film? When it was done on cels they were shot layered frame by layered frame onto a film reel. But for a digipaint show there is no film, so could you even copy the digital files onto a film reel.

A digital file could be "printed" to film, but there is little reason to do so unless it is needed for presentation in a film-only theater.

The technology for this has existed for quite a while, as it was a necessity back in the days when theaters were still film-only, but digital effects were not uncommon in big budget films.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group