• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movie) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:38 am Reply with quote
A lot of backstory this week, yet I actually really like how they are telling it. I feel that it is organic to share information about yourself because the big/final fight is upcoming and people will likely die. What demon slayer usually does is have lots of flashbacks in the middle of a fight in order to tell you about a character (usually shortly before they bite the dust) and that formula has gotten a little stale for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:17 am Reply with quote
I kept waiting for Tanjirou to tell Giyuu that Sabito had trained him. Is that a forever secret or something? It would have been an interesting scene.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:46 am Reply with quote
2:

Survivor's guilt. Such a classic motive for The Emo.

It's pretty clear that Demon Slayer is a shounen series, so you have your usual array of character archetypes. No reward to guess the kind of archetype Giyuu is, but there is something pleasant I noticed about Demon Slayer: the amount of angst is less than I thought. See, usually The Emo is driven by a lot of angst in a shounen series. Just look at Todoroki from My Hero Academia or Megumi from Jujutsu Kaisen.

Tanjiro was expectedly persistent, but I was expecting Giyuu to put up a lot more resistance. Before I could roll my eyes at Giyuu resisting, he caved in. Sooner than I thought. Personally, I'm not a fan of emo angst so this is a pleasant surprise, actually. Plus, the plot can progress now that that's over. Although I do wonder why Giyuu was selected to become the Water Hashira; is it really out of his merit or because he was the only survivor in the Final Selection?

Kocho is revealing the demon who killed her sister, and how to kill it. This is clearly foreshadowing. I might have heard this somewhere, but I read that the demon is spoiler[Doma.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:26 am Reply with quote
ACxS wrote:
Although I do wonder why Giyuu was selected to become the Water Hashira; is it really out of his merit or because he was the only survivor in the Final Selection?

He wasn't the only survivor. Sabito was the only casualty. So I guess it must be his merit!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
Good luck convincing him of that after everything that has happened though.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
He wasn't the only survivor. Sabito was the only casualty. So I guess it must be his merit!

Ah.

Come to think of it, Sabito and Giyuu were students of Urokodaki so it's only logical for the latter to be awarded the Water Hashira title when Sabito was killed. There is some merit to it, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11