• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Half [Omnibus] GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ooo. Time to collect! Thanks for the article.

Vol 1 out now.

Vol 2 in July.

Vol 3 in Nov.
Ladymage Samiko

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'll be hearing the theme song in my head for the rest of the day, now. Not quite sure how I feel about that. ;-P
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Complaining about “dated artwork,” really? Anime and manga ain’t video games.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

I don't see a difference, all media can be dated for various reasons and its personal taste if that affects your enjoyment of it. The reviewer was just stating a fact that its got dated artwork, she followed by saying "That shouldn't be a deterrent, however, once you get used to the style, because Mita uses it well in terms of humor, action, and fanservice."
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:51 am Reply with quote
I saw the OVA when it came out on Crunchyroll and was curious about the original story. Thanks for the delightful review!
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't for Bennett White, I'd never have heard of this story at all. I'm currently reading it and I'm enjoying every bit of it so far (even the short OVA is hilarious, and I'd say a small masterpiece, though it's not breaking ground or as famous as say, Ghibli or something. I wish it was finished).

Fluwm wrote:

What Rebecca means is it's 90's artwork, it's not bad or anything, it's still good and you can enjoy it, but more old-school, don't expect to see artstyles like it today. Dated doesn't mean the same as outdated, outdated would be something you wouldn't ever want to see again.

What I also found interesting was how we saw Mita criticize and even admit when she felt her own art wasn't that good, "Ugh, this picture looks bad!" or something. The only closest other equivalent I saw was when Naoko Takeuchi showed her original designs for the Sailor Team and said she didn't remember drawing them (it was a Tokyopop translation so I don't know if it's accurate or not).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
We finally got ours.

Glad to see this getting released. Never would've thought that some publisher would take a chance on this. Thanks to you Seven Seas. I hope you're able to do more.

Yeah, the artwork is dated but then what artwork isn't?

This comic was produced back in the mid to late 80's to early 90's. You can see where the art changes overtime from the very first inception to what Mink used to look like to what we've seen in the classic OVA that ADV put out years ago. I was surprised myself seeing old scanlations of the book. From what I got out of the little I have read, much of the humor is based around the whole fantasy game genre. So if you're not familiar with some of the Japanese fantasy game scene some jokes will fly over your head. The earlier volumes are going to be slow going, can't say much about later volumes but only those that are a fan of the books when they were in scanlations back in the early 2000's might be able to give you a better clue. But it really depends on your tastes. If you're a collector it's worth getting because it's a classic work and it's never been seen outside of scanlations or those who imported the Japanese versions. Then there's the libraries.

But definitely check it out but really give Seven Seas all the support they can get so we can see more old school stuff. With the release of Go Nagai's material I would like to see Cyborg 009 get re-released in the states. But I don't think they have the rights to that.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing the Cutey Honey manga, and I'm wondering if they might license some of his other works, like Mazinger Z or even, heck, Kekko Kamen.

I'm wondering if they'd also be able to re-license some older comics from Nora/Gakken, like the Voogie's Angel one, while the anime came over here, the radio drama it was based on (which is really good unlike the anime) and the manga never even came to the US (it can only be found by purchasing it on Amazon Japan and Japanese auction sites which I don't know how to do), and after seeing what I could of the former, I'd like to see it translated, I even offered that one to Seven Seas as a suggestion (a crappy anime could have a better manga).
arromdee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:23 am Reply with quote
I just bought this and I'll say it absolutely does try to "update" the humor. Chapter 3 has Vina summon a monster saying "Golem, I choose you!" The manga ended in 1994 before Pokemon, so this could only have been an update of the humor.

The reference to slices, dices, and makes julienne fries also sounds a little suspicious, although I suppose it's *possible* that those ads aired in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1