• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katsuhiro Otomo Works on 'New Movie Project'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:14 am Reply with quote
I can still remember all the excitement and hype over Steamboy back when that first came out a decade ago but then it never seemed to catch on when it was released even though I personally enjoyed it. Akira is one of my all time favorite anime movies and it's such an important classic. I'm excited to see what new work Otomo has in store for us.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:51 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I can still remember all the excitement and hype over Steamboy back when that first came out a decade ago but then it never seemed to catch on when it was released even though I personally enjoyed it.

I enjoyed Steamboy too, though I don't think it's anything too amazing either. It's definitely worth a look for animation enthusiasts. I often see people justifiably recommending Redline as an animation showpiece with an decent enough plot/characters backing it up. I feel the same way about Steamboy.

Redline is said to have about 100,000 in its 102 minute runtime. That's about 980 frames per minutes. Steamboy is said to be about 180,000 drawings in its 126 minutes. That's roughly 1,248 frames per minute! It's a crazy well animated movie.

I'm definitely interested in whatever his next movie ends up being.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:26 am Reply with quote
^^^Pretty much agree with you guys word by word. Loved Akira to bits (who doesn't?) and enjoyed Steamboy (even if the story's not that good, it looks absolutely gorgeous), so definitely pretty excited to see a new project by Otomo (I just hope he doesn't pull a Mamoru Oshii and makes a comeback with some awful looking moe comedy...)
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:33 pm Reply with quote
All the Steamboy hype definitely hurt it, since people were expecting something as shocking and revolutionary as Akira and...didn't get that.

My expectations are tempered, since while I'm assuming this is going to be a bigger deal than a CG remake of an old one-shot manga as part of a short film anthology or whatever, I'd rather assume the worst and be pleasantly surprised.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I hope it's another slavish work of animation like Akira and Steamboy and not some all-CG feature (Unless it's also very high budget and slavish, but I'd prefer the former).

Steamboy is an underrated film! Sure it's a standardly told 'superhero' origin story kinda deal and feels like something that was the start of more to come... But damn, if it wasn't an amazing visual feast worth taking.

Better than Redline in terms of story and character. But nothing on par with Akira and Metropolis, though most audiences would probably like Steamboy better than Akira.

I'm excited! Somebody needs to bring us another risky good looking venture!

Would not surprise me if streaming service money is also involved.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I first saw Akira many, many years after its heyday, and I was a bit nervous going in about how well it would live up to its legendary status. (For instance, I only saw the original Ghost in the Shell some time after watching Stand-Alone Complex, and I wound up enjoying the latter far more than the former.) But I shouldn't have worried, because if anything, I felt like Akira had been undersold. It was a jaw-dropping watch. I'm definitely interested in whatever Otomo is working on.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

Better than Redline in terms of story and character. But nothing on par with Akira and Metropolis, though most audiences would probably like Steamboy better than Akira.

Rather than Redline, I would compare Steamboy to Castle in the Sky as they both have a similar boy and girl on a wild chase adventure with steampunk influences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1