• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cool Japan Fund Invests US$30 Million in Sentai Holdings

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:30 am Reply with quote
There’s a write from Animation Business Journal that says the Cool Japan investment represents a controlling stake in Sentai, but I haven’t seen this detail mentioned in the press release or other reports, so I’m disinclined to believe it’s accurate. http://animationbusiness.info/archives/8230
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
Wonder if Cool Japan can do it success, i know it dosen't work very well.

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-37AE21PPk&t=49s
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:26 am Reply with quote
It sounds like "Cool Japan" has a problem with being tone-deaf, and not understanding their audience. Hopefully this is a good investment and they improve, but mostly I hope they don't mess up and end up destroying Sentai.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
You'd think that Sentai would be wary of japanese investment, after what happened to ADV.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
You'd think that Sentai would be wary of japanese investment, after what happened to ADV.
I thought ADV brought about their own doom by licensing too many shows, many of which sold poorly.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:53 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
I thought ADV brought about their own doom by licensing too many shows, many of which sold poorly.

In a sense, but the reason why ADV licensed so many shows in the first place was because it got into a deal with a Japanese company called Sojitz, which was where the money came from, in the first place. To make a long story short, when the anime bubble popped, ADV was left unable to fully pay back Sojitz, so Sojitz simply took away all of the shows ADV licensed during this deal, & eventually made a new deal with FUNimation. ADV then sued Sojitz, which is where we eventually found out just how much money was being spent to license shows during the peak of the bubble era.. Like paying just over a million for Kurau: Phantom Memory.

To be fair, ADV certainly wasn't the only company that was paying ridiculous fees at that time, but had the whole fiasco with Sojitz never happened, then ADV might have been able to survive & become nothing more than a holding company that controls the rights to literally only two shows now (Kino's Journey [2003] & Elfen Lied). I'm sure John Ledford made sure that this deal with Cool Japan can't potentially leave Sentai in a similar situation, because otherwise he'd be a fool of a businessman.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

Yeah, I'm hoping they learned enough from that experience to insist on maintaining a large degree of autonomy.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
Lately Sentai Filmworks started dubbing some shows into neutral spanish, but some fans complained that they chose to do it in Argentina instead of Mexico, since Argentina isn't well known for dubbing anime compared to Mexico. Some say they're being cheap.
Could it be possible that this funding by Cool Japan may make Sentai Filmworks reconsider to dub some shows in Mexico like Crunchyroll and most of the Netflix series do? I mean, I am not too familiar with Sentai
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Cool Japan Fund, I saw a report from NHK World early this week that it was "ineffective" and considers hiring celebrities and "influencers" to promote Japan.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20190729_17/

Jeezus, I don't think Korea's Hallyu wave did something like that!
What's with these grandpas? Laughing
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Cool Japan really doesn't understand its audience. They think that we're interested in stuff like Chibi Maruko-chan and that Dragonball is this hot new thing we've never heard of. Laughing
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:

Sojitz wanted to get paid back. Does the Japanese government expect the same? As a Canadian, I know of government media funds that are basically free money with no return realistically expected.

Silver Kirin wrote:
Lately Sentai Filmworks started dubbing some shows into neutral spanish, but some fans complained that they chose to do it in Argentina instead of Mexico, since Argentina isn't well known for dubbing anime compared to Mexico. Some say they're being cheap.
Could it be possible that this funding by Cool Japan may make Sentai Filmworks reconsider to dub some shows in Mexico like Crunchyroll and most of the Netflix series do? I mean, I am not too familiar with Sentai

Sentai's English dubs are produced at a very low cost. If English is their primary business, I don't think it's realistic to expect them to splurge on a side initiative.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Yeah, Cool Japan really doesn't understand its audience. They think that we're interested in stuff like Chibi Maruko-chan and that Dragonball is this hot new thing we've never heard of. Laughing

Also, it seems that when Japanese government imagine foreigners being immersed with Japanese culture, they want us to learn everything all at once.

Not just anime, Not just J-pop music... but also the Ukiyo-e, Kabuki, sightseeing spots, etc. All at once. Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:05 am Reply with quote
Japanese government is led by septuagenarians - leaving it to them to decide what's cool for other countries is unwise. Laughing
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:20 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

From my perspective, Cool Japan wants to cater Western and Eastern market. That's why we got kind of Chibi Maruko-chan that is extremely popular in South East Asia and East Asia.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I think those that are saying "Cool Japan" doesn't know the audience don't know the reasoning behind the investment. A lot of the other companies either are owned by major corporations (see SonyMation and WarneRoll) or have ties to Japanese companies already, but Sentai is independent and, if you count their ADV days, have had a long time in the anime localisation industry. Cool Japan probably sees this, and also sees it as another avenue of getting anime into the west, with them picking up some that others might overlook, including gems like Princess Principle and my third favourite Flip Flappers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2