• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seton Academy: Welcome to the Pack (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote

Seton Academy: Welcome to the Pack (TV)

Genres: Comedy, School
Themes: Animals

Plot Summary:
Quote:
At a school for animals, the students' curricula centers on the idea of "survival of the fittest." The lone human in the class (who hates animals) and the lone wolf girl in the class meet, and their nonsense academy life begins.
(from manga)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BSW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
I think you have to be very bored to watch this abomination. It's the lowest of any lows.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Against all seeming consensus, I actually was kind of into this, with the exception of things that came off a bit too sexual harassment.

I think that a such complain of the episode are the confusing elements of world building, but I think that is kind of looking at it wrong, rather than a literal idea of a setting, it is all kind of meta, such the fact teachers are dinosaurs. It is meant to be like a microcosm of the animal kingdom, this is why the animal at the forefront is a wolf, whose pack includes the humans. She is meant to be a sort of stand in for one of the first animals domesticated by humans, and even more so I think perhaps the less aggressive ones. Dogs come from wolves that humans bred to follow. If I was to choose any animal to join them, it would probably be a cat, but rather than one invited in perhaps she would instead scavenge for her own benefit before joining for her own benefit.

Looking forward though, my assumption is that the girl at the end of the episode, who has pigtails, is probably a koala. From the preview there also seems to be a girl with green stuff on her (also in the preview art), which my guess is a sloth, and she has algae growing on her. And clearly the last girl seems to be a panda, oddly I would not say these are animals that were domesticated by humans, but generally animals that are very slow and pose little threat to humans. But, they actually might have relevance to the club the humans were creating, the cooking club. Because I at least know that panda are meant to be carnivores, but eat bamboo which general theory is that it actually does a number on their body in making them, Koalas have a similar issue where they eat mostly eucalyptus leaves, which I have heard also have low nutritional value. If sloths also have a problem from their food I imagine their through line could be cute animals, that have awful diets.

Anyway, I think my favourite parts of the episode were where the wolf girl acts feral like her animal counter part. Also got a laugh when the blurb was saying that wolves have been known to fight bears, my response was "but only when they were in packs" followed by the show making that the exact punchline. Also, something special about the ED that is totally off key in singing, like listening to a canine "talking". Also, her making a whine like sound when she was hit. Maybe this will continue to be seen by others as trash, but I kind of like it so far.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually quite enjoyed the first episode, myself. Sure, it probably won't be a great series, but I think that it will still be quite entertaining.

The only thing that I do find a bit weird is the fact that the female animal characters appear mostly human with a couple of their animal features, while the male characters retain a purely animal appearance just standing upright.
BSW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:10 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

The only thing that I do find a bit weird is the fact that the female animal characters appear mostly human with a couple of their animal features, while the male characters retain a purely animal appearance just standing upright.

I want to understand why people find this weird, or even not obvious.
Anime usually have a target audience, and not like western media which is forced to have equal representation of all sex, gender and race at any given time.
This show targets males. It wants to sell with animal girls. The target audience would find animal boys a turnoff, if anything.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
BSW wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:

I want to understand why people find this weird, or even not obvious.
Anime usually have a target audience, and not like western media which is forced to have equal representation of all sex, gender and race at any given time.
This show targets males. It wants to sell with animal girls. The target audience would find animal boys a turnoff, if anything.

Really? Beastars and Dog Days beg to differ. The choice is distracting and obtuse. They should have either gone all animal ears or all anthro. It really makes it unfun.
BSW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
You know very well how Beastars is a completely different beast, and even that only bothered to cater to animal guy fans, while didn't bother making the girls appealing to anyone, by the way.
And as for Dog Days, there were only a few animal males, so it was alright. Anyways, they are certainly not the point of appeal here, so it was the obvious choice they're not going to bother with them.
The show is bad regardless, but this isn't what makes it unfun.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yep, I am quite enjoying this, I find it funny. Said in my previous post that koalas have a diet that mainly consists of the particularly non-nutritious eucalyptus, but was not aware that a koala gets the bacteria needed to digest it by eating some from their mother's anus (poo). Took me by surprise, but I did enjoy the humorous element of going there, by the food Ranka made being directly compared to shit, and that the koala girl, Komori, having a positive reaction to that. Would not be sure whether Komori afraid of fire just so happen to be when there are massive bush fires in Australia.

Similarly, liked Kurumi the cat kind of forcing herself in, references to cats being known to manipulate via different tones, I had heard that their meow with humans is meant to replicate a similar tone as babies. Also her skittish nature of being afraid to open up too quickly, making her tsundere. Was kind of wondering if at the end Kurumi would bring the food, a reference to cats bringing in their kills to pretty much show their humans how much better at hunting they are.

And Miyubi the sloth. My googling last week called the plant matter that grows on sloths as algae and not moss like I had thought at first, but they said moss in the subs. I know that jokes about a sloth being slow is like one of the most obvious jokes ever, but they did make me laugh from the likes of having to put her at 8x speed to have her even slowly move. And also all the jokes about everything being a threat of killing a sloth; moving too much, being in water and eating unfamiliar food.

And in general I am increasingly loving all the Ranka an energetic and silly pupper. I think they made allusions to timber wolves earlier, but she also generally seems like the sort of runt of a litter that might be abandoned by wild wolves, but taken in by humans, eventually breeding to the current kinds of dogs.

Oh, and almost forgot, a Food Wars reference with Komori eating the poop food.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Naked mole rats and lions. Both sets were enjoyable, from the naked mole rats having a queen, I thought the swapping of modesty was pretty funny. Her seeing all the other animals wear clothes as pixelated and perverse. And also how flippant the whole lion thing was about having a harem, the leader of the pack being a lazy male who barely did anything, while the lionesses were all over him. His whole part felt worth it when the president was accusing Jin of trying to get an interspecies harem, when the lion came in saying he would give advice on looking after a harem. I was kind of afraid that the lion character would be annoying as an antagonistic force, but so far he was likable.

Also things I notice, Hitomi seems to have a real habbit of taking pictures on her a phone, which I am thinking is meant to be some sort of comment, like how she took pictures of the food previously. And also learned after last week that Ranka is voiced by Hina Kino, who previously killed it in the voice acting of screechy Hanako in Asobi Asobase, bringing it again to this series where she makes an art out of being out of tune with the ED, and general energetic nature Ranka like a dog.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

After Interspecies Reviewers this week, the Hyena female reveal was not as surprising as it might otherwise be, that female hyena have a pseudo-penis. And while I know that this is all just for things like animal biology and stuff, but after Yena be so adamant as male, I think it would be insensitive to call them a her. Regardless of animal biology, with humans that is a transgender person, so unless otherwise declared by Yena after processing that they have a normal female body, he says he is a boy he is a boy.

I did like the bit about showing that against general ideas Hyena are not actually scavengers but are more successful than lions, where lions in fact often scavenge off of them. Also the reversal of expectations that of using the hyena only overpower lions when in a pack by Yena as a character overpowering them. I am pretty sure if memory serves that female hyena are actually often the bigger and stronger. I remember learning hyena are a far more interesting animal than say what they looked in the Lion King..

Also, giant wolf onee-san, she was fun, she is pretty much a dire wolf. The humour about them licking each other looking so wrong in terms of human sisters. There was a bit about the size difference being from affects of different climates, but I also wonder again about the domestication idea, the sister feral to Ranka's domestication.

And if we are going to go into urban legends for animal facts... beware the drop bear.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

New gag I like, characters suddenly falling asleep, like the cat kept doing, the Koala too but she did just slightly sniff a sleep drug.

I assume just for story purposes that the chimps got away with cheating with tools in the competition, but the humans could not. As mentioned in the episode, I have heard that humans are actually surprisingly good long distance runners, where animals can maybe faster than humans, but get tired more quickly.

A Magic the Gathering joke of all things.

But also plenty of Miyubi, so many deaths.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:48 pm Reply with quote
One of the reasons we're good long-distance runners is that we're able to sweat and can more easily shed excess body heat.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Did not really know much about Tarsiers, so Manako was pretty interesting. Also, that Miyubi slap. Looking forward to some Miyubi compilations after the series finished, like of every death, although I also wonder if Manako's could be added.

Jin seems to still be actively animal hating, his idea of being student president had him getting rid of all the animals. I wonder how this might work with the end of the episode introducing a red haired girl with no defining animal traits. Based off of her appearance in the OP with a bit of a caveman aesthetic, my guess is that she is a literal Neanderthal, which makes me wonder how she might stand for humans compared to homo sapien.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

The episode did not confirm it, An appearing mostly human, but a grudge with humans as apparently part of extinct species, I think it all points to her being a Neanderthal. Apparently does not have a bust, only humans having that, she also seems to have a huge appetite and passed out from being hungry despite how much she hate. I had heard before that apparently this is what put Neanderthals at a disadvantage to homo sapiens, that despite being stronger that despite being stronger, even larger skulls, they could not compete with our general human food needs. But at the same time with this conflict, I have also heard the general consensus is that most humans also have Neanderthal DNA from inbreeding, so from a certain point of view they are not entirely extinct. Apparently An's appearance, pale skin and red hair, are specifically traits in humans that exist even today that came from Neanderthals.

Also, the after ED bit with the lion guy quoting that when he dies he will become the grass for his impala girlfriend, is totally a reference to the Lion King.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:07 am Reply with quote
episode 12 (finale)

All the way up to the end I hold up this as one of my top shows of the season, that I would consider the lukewarm reception I saw near the start as making it a little bit hidden. Who would have guessed the last episode would be around Ranka in a boxing match with an also pretty small mammoth girl, the small stature a reference to mammoths being smaller than most people would think. Chibi mammoth was pretty cute and funny though, especially when she was still packing a wallop that poor Ranka was getting beat after single hits. Ranka did get some well deserved head pats for the good doggo she was.

I just generally found the show good fun of little animal facts mixed around funny little hijinks. I would even go so far as to say that even with all the jokes and silly setting, the emotional stuff had hit well. And not always just the same jokes seen elsewhere, such as most fictional honey badger characters are uber aggressive characters who start fights with everyone and cause pain. Teru here though was mostly really happy, wanting to join the strong wolves, and generally unfazed by any possible threats, a different kind of honey badger don't care. Yena was more of the aggressive character, a likeable hyena.

I would say that perhaps not always the most woke with something like gender, after all every animal male looked more like the actual animal while the females were animal girls. Especially in the whole Yena storylines, where rather than jokes about female hyenas being hard to tell from males due to certain traits, could come across a bit insensitive to transgender people. With a possible exception that her arch seemed to kind of end that she/he/they did not need to force themselves to act feminine or meet anyone expectations of gender and instead just be themselves. Yena was one of the coolest characters. She also seemed just as interested in Hitomi as Jin was, and I don' t think that was a mean joke.

I could probably talk about other things, like more of sloth girl Miyubi. Or that the cat girl does not act like a how you normally see catgirls shown, but as a stereotypical cat who was generally lazy and used her charm, things cats do, she even dislikes the panda suddenly deciding to join. Or some other bits like Ranka getting the trophy she wanted so much, and she chucks it into a cupboard that seems to have random junk in it, explained away as wolves and other canines burying what they treasure. I have not seen it really elsewhere, but I am pretty sure a sound effect they generally used to denote a sort of slapstick fail moment is very similar to the sound the dog from duck hunt where the dog laughs at you for missing, which feels like a good match for one of the main characters being very dog like.

Anyway, my enjoyment of this would have me rate it... I think that I will actually say Excellent (9/10). I just think that as a package of what it was it worked extremely well, at least as a season, and creativity for its somewhat silly premise. The animation was just right for the type of show, the OP and ED are something I keep repeating with great fun voice acting, and I could imagine watching random scenes again for a bit of fun. It might be on the low end of that sort of thing, I could point out some problems I have, and I think some people might have trouble with the setting that does not make sense the more you think about it, but my general feeling has me giving this rating. I would be totally up for another season, though I suspect I would not feel so generous with a second season... and the season ending with a possible hook of insect people from another school, that sounds a bit frightening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2