• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online: Progressive Manga Gets New Series This Month

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedram

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Sword Art Online: Progressive novels feature a revised retelling of Kawahara's original Sword Art Online novels.

This is wrong.

Sword Art Online Progressive is not really revising or retelling any story.

It's just a very well detailed prequel to the original Aincrad Arc.

It's filling in the gaps of Original Aincrad timeskips.

So many news sites or others saying it's a revision or retelling that now a lot of people think it's a separate story than main SAO by mistake.

There is already so many references and interlinked events between SAO Progressive and Original SAO Light Novels. they are confirmed to be in the same canon and not any revision or retelling.

in fact, SAO Progressive is not "retelling" any event, so far it's skipping any event that main SAO told and telling what Main SAO didn't tell, it's confirmed by a tweet from the author which I sadly can't find at this moment.

But I have another tweet for confirming they happen in the same timeline :

a tweet from back in early 2014 :
https://twitter.com/TUSF33/status/429656890851614720

Also, those inconsistency that reki kawahara mention is actually pretty small.

In Main SAO Light Novel, we never learn when they meet for the first time...

But we knew from Kirito's inner monologue... that he kept saying "this is the first time i party together with Asuna"

This was already contradicted a bunch of time inside the Main Light novels by themselves.

As Kirito's inner monologue mention partying up alone with Asuna for first time once in floor 74, then he party up with her in that murder story in floor 57 or something, then anime show us that he party up with her in floor 1 lol

but any Sword Art Online Light novel released from 2012 onward, meaning all of Alicization Arc and later Arcs,include SAO Progressive as the main canon.

Asuna mention being together with Kirito from floor 1 and even one of the main villains talk about some important stuff that happened in SAO Progressive, later Asuna tell the story of her first sword which is literally the plot of 2nd Arc of SAO Progressive and later we have a SAO Progressive's character literally come back and have a reunion with the group and join them for later events.

These are also included in the anime as well, so even the current SAO Alicization season take SAO Progressive light novel as canon and not any separate revisioned retelling.

Oh, I can also mention all the side stories or bonus stories they included in the Limited DVD/BD release of anime since season 1 or the side stories released at comitia most of which are canon and include progressive stuff.

TLDR : SAO Progressive is just a prequel or interquel kind of thing, that is not changing anything from the main SAO Light Novels but expanding them and filling in the gaps of the original timeskips.

btw, The SAO Progressive's manga is actually very different than the Light novels, at least the first one written by Kiseki Himura which I read, is not canon, as it changes all the character's behavior and even the plot completely just to make it more funny and sarcastic, take it as a loose adaptation or a parody of the Light Novels.

for actual well written or serious story, I suggest reading the light novels.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
Pedram wrote:
TLDR : SAO Progressive is just a prequel or interquel kind of thing, that is not changing anything from the main SAO Light Novels but expanding them and filling in the gaps of the original timeskips.

It's not a prequel. A prequel is by definition a work that precedes a given work, and this takes place during Aincrad arc...

A more correct term would be midquel(a work that is set during the timeframe of a previous work, rather than before or after it).

Or inquel(a story that takes place during a gap in some other story's narrative).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'll check this out when it inevitably comes stateside but the bar is set awfully high with Himura's adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1