• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yaoi Manga Artist Hatoko Machiyo Issues Statement on Scanslations

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adv193

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Personally when it comes to this I prefer buying the official manga, physically and digitally that is already available, it is my way of showing support.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:43 pm Reply with quote
on one hand, piracy is what what foreign anime culture was founded on and brought over countless licenses or things we would never see otherwise like most eroges that eventually became anime or legally brought over from piracy.

on the other, this very site and mainstream outlets and mangaka like to condemn you as an evil thieving bastard than being honored you like some work to pour resources into translating and font work.

so overall, is it evil or not??
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
on one hand, piracy is what what foreign anime culture was founded on and brought over countless licenses or things we would never see otherwise like most eroges that eventually became anime or legally brought over from piracy.

on the other, this very site and mainstream outlets and mangaka like to condemn you as an evil thieving bastard than being honored you like some work to pour resources into translating and font work.

I'd say it's a necessary evil because popular works in the west tend to be what licensors go for since they have an established/proven audience/appeal. but if a series IS licensed and people continue to pirate it and not buy all the volumes, it's basically a big **** you to the author.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:03 pm Reply with quote
It’s a reasonable request. Don’t support piracy financially without at least attempting to buy an official release.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
It’s a reasonable request. Don’t support piracy financially without at least attempting to buy an official release.

i dont get the financially thing. People PAY pirates?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Purchasing pirated works? Gross. Get it for free, buy the official release, or don't touch it at all.
Jefcat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I’ve sometimes sampled unfamiliar titles via scanlations, but if I like a manga series I’ll always buy it. I prefer reading a book to digital in any case. Support the artists!
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Romuska wrote:

Sadly. There are some pirate sites that have membership deals, like how some anime pirate sites have special premium membership stuff too.
Florete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
If people are actually paying for pirated copies, that's ridiculously stupid and I agree with the author.

Otherwise, if her works aren't legally available in English, this can be seen as an opportunity to get fans. There are franchises I'm a fan of and have put a lot of money into (legally) that I never could have if I had not been able to pirate them.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:
Romuska wrote:

Sadly. There are some pirate sites that have membership deals, like how some anime pirate sites have special premium membership stuff too.

that's super dumb, idk who is that gullible. From the POV of someone who has skirted both ends of fairness and legality and outlaw for 15+ years now
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
that's super dumb, idk who is that gullible. From the POV of someone who has skirted both ends of fairness and legality and outlaw for 15+ years now

Oh yeah, it's super duper extremely dumb. But there's a lot of dumb people in the world.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It continues to perplex me how people find a way to think they can justify piracy in any form. If you're going to pirate, don't bother making up excuses; you're stealing, plain and simple. The author or designated license holder have the right to distribute or not distribute their work however they want. The lack of availability in your language or at a place convenient for you to get it is purely irrelevant to the conversation. It will of course suck that you will miss out, but again, the only way you could know you're missing out is if you went ahead and pirated the work in the first place. Even schools are restricted in how much and how they make copies of the pages of a text book for use in a classroom. I'll repeat - if you're going to pirate, know that you are stealing, regardless of how you choose to try and justify it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
on one hand, piracy is what foreign anime culture was founded on and brought over countless licenses or things we would never see otherwise like most eroges that eventually became anime or legally brought over from piracy.

That's a canard. It wasn't pirates who made titles like Astro Boy, Kimba the White Lion, Speed Racer / Mach Go Go, Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets, Space Battleship Yamato / Starblazers, Robotech/Macross etc., Voltron/GoLion, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Digimon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyo, and many others available in English. At least in the US, far more people saw those shows on TV or in theaters than there were trading fansubs on 8th-generation VHS tapes.

Quote:

The thing is, the manga authors never asked "you" to do that translation, lettering or artistic editing. They don't want the kind of "free advertising" that only serves to advertise, "Hey, this stuff is free and abundant on the Internet! Go enjoy it as much as you want!" I won't get into "evil nor not," but at the very least, there's no big mystery as to how manga authors feel about the practice:

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-05-28/overlord-author-kugane-maruyama-expresses-frustration-at-fan-translations/.147182
https://kotaku.com/manga-pirates-are-having-trouble-going-legit-1796553894
https://youtu.be/cV0b8bEaT4I?t=25
https://twitter.com/mierihiranishi/status/1236051489417764864

harminia wrote:
There are some pirate sites that have membership deals, like how some anime pirate sites have special premium membership stuff too.
Or even without directly paying an illegal manga reader site, using them allows them to earn ad revenue. Even those using adblock software help the sites increase their traffic counts and wring more out of the ads that do go through to other users. And just as most anime piracy has shifted from downloading video files to watching bootleg streams, most manga piracy has shifted from downloading .zip/.rar archives to reading on illegal aggregator sites.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
The thing is, most people dont read fan-translation at the sites of the fan-translators themselves, who do the work and pay their own website with their own money. Most people just go to those mass-uploading pirate sites, which usually collect as much translated manga as they can and then offer them all for free while putting lots of ads all over the site.
So people aren't directly paying it, but they still financially support pirating while both, the actual fans who translated the work and the original artists, get screwed over.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
It continues to perplex me how people find a way to think they can justify piracy in any form.

I mean, just off the top of my head, there's... the frequently-cited study showing that piracy is neutral or beneficial to revenue for pretty much everything except blockbuster movies; the lack of legal availability of many things, especially outside North America and Europe; the splintering of streaming services making it increasingly and unnecessarily expensive to watch things legally...

I agree with the guy's statement about not supporting paid piracy, but even then, the real wrongdoers are the scammers making money off other people's work, not the marks falling for the scam. Ultimately, entertainment isn't the most important thing in the world anyway, and art has survived and will continue to survive much greater threats than people on the internet downloading things without permission. And the only reason piracy even looks like a serious problem is because we still haven't realized that our technology is already way past the point where we need to continue making everyone work for 8+ hours a day to earn the right to live. But blaming society's failures on people who can't tell the difference between Crunchyroll and [insert illicit knockoff here] makes for a good distraction from the real root issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3