• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NieR Replicant Action RPG's Remaster Launches on April 22

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that Nier Gestalt seems to have been forgotten in favor of Replicant.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes, adult Nier seems far more appropriate than young Nier. Maybe it's just me, but I could identify with him more as a father figure than as a brother figure.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:48 am Reply with quote
The game is releasing on its original April 22nd date back in 2010. Thats cool.

Naruto Guru wrote:
I'm sad that Nier Gestalt seems to have been forgotten in favor of Replicant.

There's nothing to be sad about. Replicant (Brother Nier) is the original version of the game as envisioned by Yoko Taro. It was western executives who told Yoko Taro to change his Brother-sister dynamic, which Japan loves, and turn it into a Father-Daughter dynamic (Gestalt), which the West loves, so that the game can sell in the West (and on Xbox; Gestalt is 360 & Replicant is PS3 in Japan). Oh, and the father has to be big and buff like a typical Western character.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Yes, adult Nier seems far more appropriate than young Nier. Maybe it's just me, but I could identify with him more as a father figure than as a brother figure.

Read my response to Naruto Guru. False. Brother Nier is more appropriate because he is Yoko Taro's original vision.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
There's nothing to be sad about.

Many people who played the Gestalt version of the game developed a strong emotional attachment to Father Nier, particularly adults who find it easier to sympathize with a parent-child relationship than a sibling relationship.

You might not be sad about anything, but it's incredibly dismissive and insulting to tell other people that their emotions are invalid.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1