• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Danganronpa 1-3 Games Get Smartphone Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artanis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:09 am Reply with quote
Hopefully in the next months they will announce a proper sequel/prequel to Danganronpa V3! We really need another main entry in this series! Very Happy
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:04 am Reply with quote
I kinda expected the whole trilogy to be ported to the switch, not that I was hoping for it. However, it would be great if more and more games get ported to the Switch. Then maybe Atlus will be more wiling to port Persona 5 to the Switch Wink
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:41 am Reply with quote
Artanis wrote:
Hopefully in the next months they will announce a proper sequel/prequel to Danganronpa V3! We really need another main entry in this series! Very Happy

Maybe you should play V3 again.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:
I kinda expected the whole trilogy to be ported to the switch, not that I was hoping for it. However, it would be great if more and more games get ported to the Switch. Then maybe Atlus will be more wiling to port Persona 5 to the Switch Wink

Seriously, everything about Danganronpa seems like a perfect fit for the Switch, but instead it's going to smartphones. It's so bizarre there hasn't been a Switch port of this game yet.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Sekaro wrote:

Seriously, everything about Danganronpa seems like a perfect fit for the Switch, but instead it's going to smartphones. It's so bizarre there hasn't been a Switch port of this game yet.

Yay to be sure absolutely. honestly the only thing I could see them doing with the series at this point, is animating the dangan ronpa zero (name maybe wrong) into a movie or something similar.

Or maybe a cross over non canonical game like the mini game in v3. where its just the characters all bouncing off each other.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Personally I want a fighting game. Seems like the logical thing to do after V3.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Artanis wrote:

Great job completely missing the point of the game!
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Sekaro wrote:

It's weird seeing these type of games skipping the Switch despite its success (specially in Japan where it overtook the PS4 in sales), although some developers managed to port more hardware demanding games like Doom, Mortal Kombat 11 and the recently announced Crysis, so I don't know if some Japanese companies have some sort of deal with Sony or just can't afford to port them. Perhaps some companies don't think a Switch version will sell well, but then you have some games like Bloodstained which sold better on the Switch despite the game running worse on it compared to other consoles.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:31 am Reply with quote
There is still potential for another game. V3's story didn't mean there couldn't be anymore.
Artanis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:43 am Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Artanis wrote:

Maybe you should play V3 again.

No need Smile That's why I said "sequel/prequel" (I didn't want to spoil anything to anyone).

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Artanis wrote:

Great job completely missing the point of the game!

I'm pretty sure the point was not kill all future Danganronpa games, despite what people think about the writer's feelings about Danganronpa Wink
scowler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:01 pm Reply with quote
This does not seem to include Ultra Despair Girls. That game should really be considered the 4th Danganronpa entry, it's a delight to play, even if it's a much different kind of game.
Artanis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:42 am Reply with quote
I've recently finished Ultra Despair Girls and I agree, it was good! However, I would prefer another main entry in the series first. A sequel for UDG would still be welcomed of course Smile
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Artanis wrote:

I'm pretty sure the point was not kill all future Danganronpa games, despite what people think about the writer's feelings about Danganronpa Wink

You're the one bringing "author intent" in here; the actual content of the game was a scathing critique of franchise stagnation that brought all of Danganronpa to its logical conclusion. The fact that people either read it as "the author just hates the series!", or "this was just a funny story, dangan4 when" is indicative that 90% of that game went through one ear and out the other.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The author's literally said that he would be just fine with seeing someone else continue the franchise so yeah, V3 was absolutely not supposed to be torching the series.

I do think if there is a next game it needs to heavily mix up the formula though. Pretty much every game follows the exact same plot structure spoiler[like all of them having two murders in the third case] and hits a lot of the same plot points spoiler[like their memories being erased] and that's the cycle they need to break out of. More than anything V3's pretty much a critique of repetition and falling into tired trends and of obsessive fandom than it is just of sequels in general.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1