• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Cat Got Your Tongue?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I've been looking forward to this, and I plan on seeing it later. This seems so cute! Very Happy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
She didn't think much about her sacrifice. She'd have about 8 to 9 years with him, if she has a healthy life, with no genetic issues. And then he would get another cat to replace her.

Or if he went to college or university and couldn't bring a pet with him. She'd be stuck with his parents or the local animal shelter. Or worse.

Hope it has a real happy ending.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was cute, but I was deeply uncomfortable with the way it resolved spoiler[the mom who abandoned Muge] and I did feel like it took the wind out of its own sails towards the end. The whole time, we've been told "You have to do X by this time or Bad Things will happen", and then the final scene gets super drawn out and loses all that tension. It was fun, but I think it needed a much tighter focus around the climax.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I really liked A Whisker Away.... Spirited Away with cats, I get it; "Whisk her away" Did I miss the pun in the dialogue somehow or did it pass by both of them?... and finding out it was Sato all along just goes to show that 1: I forget to look up who did this after watching it 2 I should have realized it was someone notable after the marvelous use of split screen 3 It's cats. Who else would direct this?

Now that I think about it, it keep reminding me of the use of cats in other Sato works, especially Sketchbook

But I don't see how it relates to Your Name. but then again, I really do hate that movie so
[tirade cut for time]

But yes, cats and girls, how they relate and how they always land on their feet. Also like a cat, Muge even manages to do the "I meant to do that" stance after a particularly bad move so either she always was meant to be a cat or she was a cat in another life.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
She didn't think much about her sacrifice. She'd have about 8 to 9 years with him, if she has a healthy life, with no genetic issues. And then he would get another cat to replace her.

You are really short changing healthy cats. I’ve had 8 cats live over 15 years each.

My husband and I really enjoyed the movie. I can still remember my lack of communication skills with my parents, running away was so easy. Also the mother never abandoned her, she left the marriage. Muge came across the mask seller, because she ran away from her mother asking her to join her in leaving the household. Children are never in control of their environment, it’s one of the skills parents are suppose to teach them.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:38 pm Reply with quote
MangaNeko wrote:

My husband and I really enjoyed the movie. I can still remember my lack of communication skills with my parents, running away was so easy. Also the mother never abandoned her, she left the marriage. Muge came across the mask seller, because she ran away from her mother asking her to join her in leaving the household. Children are never in control of their environment, it’s one of the skills parents are suppose to teach them.

I seem to remember pretty clearly that the reason Muge has her nickname was because spoiler[her mom abandoned the family when Muge was in elementary school]. I believe that's a separate event from Muge's mother asking her to come live with her in the opening.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Very cute film. Love Muge's expressiveness. The climax was filled with a bunch of conveniences however... but overall it was a nice ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1