• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Game's English Version Shuts Down on Septem

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:18 am Reply with quote
I'm sad about this I enjoyed the game. Crying or Very sad
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:53 am Reply with quote
That's a surprise, considering Magia Record had an anime to promote it. In fact, I think there's still a second season coming.

For what it's worth, I tried the JP version of the game and found it boring (for the same reason I bailed on the EN Revue Starlight game: the RPG battles are tedious). Still, I wonder if there just isn't room for more than a handful of mobage here, because of the time commitment (and money, for those who do the gacha).
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:30 am Reply with quote
The mobage market is just oversaturated. It doesn't matter if there's an anime adaptation to promote it or not. Games as a service (GAAS) is a mistake.
lilitu93
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:33 am Reply with quote
I never got to play it as they never put it out in Europe (and I was too lazy to use a US iTunes account), but I had wanted to at least for the story. At least there’s the anime to tell that. I wonder if they had put it out in Europe even just in English if they’d have lasted longer. Didn’t seem to hurt FGO, though, which also hasn’t been released outside the US.

And I also got bored with Revue Starlight - loved the anime, but the story wasn’t as good and didn’t get updated that often except for event stories that were more slice of life than plot, but usually average slice of life. The game play itself was OK but nothing special. It like other Japanese games also tends to be expensive even if you just wanted to be a minnow and not a whale. All the Chinese mobile games I play and some of the Western ones have monthly packs around $5/£5 whereas the Japanese games I’ve played a similar pack would be $10/£10. With the Chinese ones being as good or better, I never felt motivated to pay for anything in the Japanese ones even when I liked them, and I doubt I’m the only one.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:33 am Reply with quote
Why?! The English version was released not even a year ago! I just downloaded this on my phone two months ago! Why are they shutting it down?!
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:55 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Why?! The English version was released not even a year ago! I just downloaded this on my phone two months ago! Why are they shutting it down?!

That's the nature of gacha games like this one. If its not successful in its first 1 or 2 years, then it will immediately shut down.

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:55 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

I'd imagine money. The English version is probably not generating as much revenue as the Japanese. Probably there were not enough whales to support it or they're too far behind the Japanese in terms of event content. Though it is rather fascinating Fate/GO managed to last long in the U.S. despite lagging a few years behind Japan so it makes you wonder about the state of the Madoka Magica brand here in the States.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:57 am Reply with quote
Madoka was popular back in 2011 - 2013 when the anime exploded in popularity, and a handful of movies and manga adaptations were made. However, now its already too late to capitalize on Madoka franchise.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:10 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Madoka was popular back in 2011 - 2013 when the anime exploded in popularity, and a handful of movies and manga adaptations were made. However, now its already too late to capitalize on Madoka franchise.

The Japanese server for this game just had its 3-year anniversary and shows no signs of stopping (they're working through a sequel which us English-speakers will apparently never see, unless the anime gets that far). But it seems Americans are more into... uh... whatever the heck genre FGO is.

I knew this would happen eventually, but very disappointing for them to throw this at us out of the blue, right when I'd gotten back into the game, and when it's still far behind the JP version with the story. Never had any interest in other gacha games, but for whatever reason all of the alternatives are more popular, and thus last longer. As usual.
MetalGarurumon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:21 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

Magireco is one of the most popular games in Japan.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:28 am Reply with quote
Every time when I see the news about the English server suddenly lay down all support in a less of a year while the original mobile game is just going as usual, I slowly realize that Cygames GBF/Dragalia Lost model, where the game not have separate servers and versions, but have the English localization inside, is at least being fair to the customers.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
Does the game simply stop working on your mobile device when they shut the servers off?

Will you still be able to open the game on your phone and see all the artwork and characters you earn/have, just not able to play it?

If the game app is locked after closure, I don't see any merit in even playing the game, if you can't even keep anything from the game to treasure your memory of it.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

I'd imagine money. The English version is probably not generating as much revenue as the Japanese. Probably there were not enough whales to support it or they're too far behind the Japanese in terms of event content. Though it is rather fascinating Fate/GO managed to last long in the U.S. despite lagging a few years behind Japan so it makes you wonder about the state of the Madoka Magica brand here in the States.

Honestly, MR's problem was kind of the opposite. They attempted to catch the NA server up to the JP server as fast as possible, which lead to a lot of burnout either from the endless events without downtime (the duration of said events also being shortened compared to JP) or the multiple instances of highly sought-after limited banners being released back to back (which often was a result of them rearranging the order of the events for one reason or another).

Most of the NA players in the community I saw grew to view the "NA Tempo" as something to be endured rather than a celebrated, and wished that they had taken FGO's lead instead (and conversely a number of FGO players have looked at MR and see FGO's NA approach as having dodged a bullet)
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:10 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

That's the nature of gacha games like this one. If its not successful in its first 1 or 2 years, then it will immediately shut down.

Sometimes, they don't even get a year. The English Symphogear server had their cancellation announcement after less than three months and shut down in under six.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:13 am Reply with quote
I started the game after the anime aired, and while I have started to lose interest, I was hoping to stick around at least until the second season of the anime aired, so it’s unfortunate that it’s shutting down. This will be a first for me, the game shutting down before I leave it myself. I don’t regret playing through the story and I did like how their gacha system had a guaranteed 4 star every 100 you pull (though that kind of disincentivized rolling on event banners for free players). I’ll still play to the end to give it a proper send off. Not sure yet if I will replace it with a new game then, or just downsize to two games.

darkchibi07 wrote:
FireChick wrote:

While it might be nice to join the fun with those on the JP server, there are benefits to being behind them. Being 2 years behind means we can plan out which banners we roll for, both in terms of what Servants interest you and which Servants are most useful in the meta. F/GO also benefits from having more entries in the Fate franchise (and broader Type-Moon universe) to draw from than Madoka, which has resulted in it having more distinct characters than Magia Record (even though it is not limited to its own franchise in terms of collaborations, as F/GO is), though not as many as free gachas like Azur Lane.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4