• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inconsistency regarding DVD-only episodes

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Apologies if there's already been a thread about this. When I try to use the search function, I'm taken to a blank page. I tried it on different browsers with the same result.

Anyway, I've noticed kind of an inconsistency with how DVD-only episodes are entered into the encyclopedia.

An example of what I mean is Moon Phase 26 and Kasimasi ~Girl Meets Girl~ 13. Moon Phase 26, a DVD-only episode included in the last DVD, is simply tacked on to the end of the series in the episode list, and even added to the episode count, while Kasimasi 13, also a DVD-only episode included on the last DVD, is given its own entry and called an OVA.

Another example of DVD-only treated as part of the series is Kamichu!'s extra episodes, while Elfen Lied's DVD-only episode has its own entry and is listed as an OVA.

Why is this, and what is the correct thing to do with DVD-only episodes? Should they be included in the episode list and added to the number of total episodes, as was the case with Moon Phase, or should they be submitted as separate entries and be treated as OVA?

Last edited by cardcaptormanda on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this is a problem bugging me as well. In fact, in the case of Elfen Lied, we had a discussion among staff whether it should be listed as an OVA or just as an additional episode within the TV series like Love Hina epiosde 25 or (then nonexistent) Kamichu!. I'd say this problem will only get bigger and bigger because there seems to have a new trend to include more unaired episode on DVD, like the two Ah! My Goddess TV series.

The line is still blurry and ambiguous. In the case of Kamichu!, those unaired episodes has to be within the series, for their stories are between aired ones, instead of prequel/sequel after the series. The latter ones, however, fall into the "bonus / omake episodes to encourage DVD buyers" and "they can't be within TV series because they were never aired on TV" dilemma. Another notorious dilemma is "promotional theatrical premiere for OVA" and "home video of a movie." Guess we'll need more group discussions to give them better definitions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quote
It bothered me that Uta Kata episode 13 had a page all to itself just because it was a DVD exclusive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Asako

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like the .hack// ____ stuff but they actually have different titles, it seems according to the encyclopedia so I don't think it's quite the same thing Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1