• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
MAPS (movie) ID 693 should be MAPS (OAV)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
MAPS (movie) needs correcting to OAV since it was direct to video (even states this on the VHS cover).

Please note this is the 1987 release.

Here is my source:

AnimeNfo
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote
heh. With "original animation video" on the cover, there's not much arguing.

BTW I think this is the first time I actually see OAV being used on an official release. I see OVA all the time, but I was starting to wonder if OAV was simply an invention of american anime fandom.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
MAPS (movie) needs correcting to OAV since it was direct to video (even states this on the VHS cover).

Please note this is the 1987 release.

Here is my source:

AnimeNfo

That's odd, because the JMDB (which I believe does not list OAVs) includes it, but not the remake. Allcinema ONLINE also lists it as a movie, as opposed to an オリジナルビデオ (original video). Also, you only linked to the ANN Encyclopedia entry, not AnimeNfo.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:

Dan42 wrote:
heh. With "original animation video" on the cover, there's not much arguing.

The "OVA" was released on July 21st, 1987, merely a week after its theatrical premiere (1987-07-14). While it's a bit different from most movies (which usually distribute video months later), this didn't change the fact that it was first released as a theatrical movie. In addition to JMDb and Allcinema links provided by doc-watson42, here are several other sources. Each of them is more reliable than AnimeNfo:

Wikipedia Japan wrote:
1987年(学研)版

正式タイトルは『マップス 伝説のさまよえる星人たち』で、原作のACT.1をベースにした作品。1987年7月14日に松竹富士系にて劇場公開されている。併映作品は聖悠紀原作の『TWD EXPRESS』。OVAとしてのソフト販売は1987年7月21日で、ジャケットイラストは長谷川裕一自身によるもの。また、同時期に「アニメディア」誌上でフィルムコミックが連載された。

SF MOVIE Databank wrote:
原題:MAPS
製作年:1987年
日本劇場公開:1987年7月14日
上映時間:51分/カラー
製作:日本コロムビア株式会社(日本)
配給:松竹富士

Goo Movie wrote:
作品情報 - マップス 伝説のさまよえる星人たち

* 製作年 : 1987年
* 製作国 : 日本
* 配給 : 松竹富士

Basically, whenever you see company Shochiku (松竹), one of the oldest and most renowned movie distributors in Japan, you can be 99% sure the anime title would be a theatrical movie.

Area88 wrote:
Here is my source:

AnimeNfo

Pffft. Laughing This is comedy gold. Furthermore, the reason why ANN Encyclopedia acts slowlier than AnimeNfo was because we are more cautious and accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for clearing it up guys and correcting the page.

I'd love to actually see the original MAPS released, i heard it's superior to the remake.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Since I can't really read Japanese, those sources don't mean a whole lot to me. The only thing I can see is that it premiered in a theater before the OVA release, but it's not uncommon for OVAs to be screened at a few special events, as a way to drum up interest. One week before the release fits the pattern perfectly. More importantly, how do you explain that "original animation video" is written on the cover? To me that's a lot more authoritative than any site declaring whether it's a movie or OVA. The length is also more in line with an OVA production, and even the Japan wikipedia link you provided seems to classify it as an OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Since I can't really read Japanese, those sources don't mean a whole lot to me.

This is quite surprising to me. As long as I could remember, you have been in Tokyo for over two years.

Dan42 wrote:
The only thing I can see is that it premiered in a theater before the OVA release, but it's not uncommon for OVAs to be screened at a few special events, as a way to drum up interest. One week before the release fits the pattern perfectly.

I agree that those promotional screenings do exist, so I'll take it this time. However, screened by Shochiku means at least 11 theaters across Japan, not just "a theater."

Dan42 wrote:
More importantly, how do you explain that "original animation video" is written on the cover? To me that's a lot more authoritative than any site declaring whether it's a movie or OVA.

A crossdressing friend of mine has never been performed a single transgender operation. Therefore, no matter how many times he addresses himself as "herself," his male status, either genetic or lawful, would not change.

Just kidding (but the story is true).

This raises another question: how to you define OVA then? How long between theatrical screening and video release should the screening be considered as "promotional screenings for an OVA" or, on the contrary, the video should be considered "home video for a movie?" A week or two? A month or two? Now I wonder what Dallos Special can be: "special" in title, "OAV" in category, and "movie" in comment.

Speaking of OVA/OAV question you've mentioned:

Wikipedia Japan wrote:
OVA初期にはOAV(オリジナル・アニメーション・ビデオ)という表現もよくなされたが、アダルトビデオや家電製品の略称と間違え易いため、徐々に廃れていった。現在は学習研究社発行のアニメ雑誌で使用される程度で、かつてほどは使われない。

In the beginning OAV was even used in Japan. However, due to confusion with Adult Video and Audio/Video electronics this acronym was gradually abandoned. Only anime magazine by Gakken still uses the term. Not surprisingly, MAPS (1987) and its manga was planned and published by Gakken, respectively.

Dan42 wrote:
The length is also more in line with an OVA production, and even the Japan wikipedia link you provided seems to classify it as an OVA.

Length shouldn't be the problem. Tooi Sekai is only a bit over one minute long and is still a movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
Anime Jump calls it an OVA from 1987 in the first paragraph of this review.

All the signs seem to point to an OVA release (as already stated runtime is typical of the OVA standard). The title is made in 87, the peak of the OVA boom. I also wouldn't be suprised if it was made on your typical high OVA budget too.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
This is quite surprising to me. As long as I could remember, you have been in Tokyo for over two years.
I can read *some* Japanese, but I am far from proficient, and kanji is still mostly a mystery to me. Unfortunately I was working in a mostly english-speaking environment so my Japanese is not nearly as good as it could be.

dormcat wrote:
I agree that those promotional screenings do exist, so I'll take it this time. However, screened by Shochiku means at least 11 theaters across Japan, not just "a theater."

This raises another question: how to you define OVA then? How long between theatrical screening and video release should the screening be considered as "promotional screenings for an OVA" or, on the contrary, the video should be considered "home video for a movie?" A week or two? A month or two? Now I wonder what Dallos Special can be: "special" in title, "OAV" in category, and "movie" in comment.

I believe the difference between TV/OAV/movie is mainly in the intent. Was it intended for TV, video, or theaters? Most productions can be sharply classified in one of those categories based on release format alone, but sometimes the distinction is fuzzier. MAPS 1987 seems to be at the border between OAV and movie. Since it was released in theater(s?) and video roughly at the same time, we have to look at other factors like number of theatres, length, production budget, etc. Or maybe even ask the producer.

dormcat wrote:
In the beginning OAV was even used in Japan. However, due to confusion with Adult Video and Audio/Video electronics this acronym was gradually abandoned. Only anime magazine by Gakken still uses the term. Not surprisingly, MAPS (1987) and its manga was planned and published by Gakken, respectively.

Wow, that's an interesting bit of trivia and it does explain a few things.

dormcat wrote:
Length shouldn't be the problem. Tooi Sekai is only a bit over one minute long and is still a movie.

There are huge differences between short movies and feature movies. Let's not lump the special cases together with the general/common case.
cat_clan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I have seen that at that time (84 to 89 more or less) it was a common practice for OVAs to be released first in theaters (with a double feature with another OVA) a few days before. For example this happened with Vampire Hunter D, it was released at the same day at theaters (simultenous screening with Genmu Senki Leda) and in stores as an OVA.

I kind of agree with the idea that it should be the original intent which leds to classification, but the problem is that is not that easy to know which was the original intent. The only ways are either to ask the original staff or to find an interview that talks about it.

In the case of MAPS is kind of hard, but it seems that the theatrical release was in fact used to promote the OVA release. But the only facts we know for sure is that it was released in theaters before it was released as an OVA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1