Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shueisha Editor Reveals Top Countries for Manga Plus Service


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Amuro1X



Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Spy x Family is doing numbers. I seriously believe it will be the next big hit if it gets an adaptation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Telu



Joined: 08 Sep 2019
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how this app is so popular in Hispanic countries, do you want to read some manga? Too bad, there are only 3 or 5 chapters available, then there is a chapter jump to 1XX, with a message that says "Currently the chapters between are not available in this app". For ever and ever.

Maybe they are just counting the app downloads.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Morry



Joined: 26 Jun 2016
Posts: 705
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Telu wrote:
I don't know how this app is so popular in Hispanic countries, do you want to read some manga? Too bad, there are only 3 or 5 chapters available, then there is a chapter jump to 1XX, with a message that says "Currently the chapters between are not available in this app". For ever and ever.

Maybe they are just counting the app downloads.

Maybe it's different in the US, but if you are keeping up with a series week-to-week, you essentially read the entire thing for free. It's only latecomers who can only read the first and last 6 chapters, which is the incentive to be following it in the first place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ErikaD.D



Joined: 09 Jun 2019
Posts: 413
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Why the U.S. is #1 despite that Shonen Jump app and website exist in the U.S.

But unpopular opinion -- I think MangaPlus is not great because it has only 3 first & last chapters (6 first & last chapters for non-popular mangas), and I don't like that. MangaPlus is not great for latecomers and those who read mangas for the first time. Latecomers are forced to read the missing chapters on illegal manga sites. Sad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 5280
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He speculated whether the popularity of these new serializations on the MANGA Plus service can be attributed not just to the quality of the new Jump+ serializations, but also to the absence of pirated leaks.


Lmfao. of course he had to tack that BS on there despite there being dozens of studies that have shown piracy has ZERO effect on sales.


Last edited by Kougeru on Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Яeverse



Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 954
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Why the U.S. is #1 despite that Shonen Jump app and website exist in the U.S.

But unpopular opinion -- I think MangaPlus is not great because it has only 3 first & last chapters (6 first & last chapters for non-popular mangas), and I don't like that. MangaPlus is not great for latecomers and those who read mangas for the first time. Latecomers are forced to read the missing chapters on illegal manga sites. Sad.


Shonen jump app doesnt get everything, theres some mangaplus exclusive series.

I stil ldont know how mangaplus makes money, also they still haven't done like they said when they launched and gave us a way to buy the manga. Like everyones said, if you miss out you cant read but only the first 3 and last 3 chapters.

I want to read hinomaru zumou but well...sad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 2140
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Good, this is a great service if you're caught up. Don't have to deal with bad quality leaks anymore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 787
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Lmfao. of course he had to tack that BS on there despite there being dozens of studies that have shown piracy has ZERO effect on sales.


1) Gonna need you to site those sources bud because that's a heck of an assertion.

2) He's talking specifically about digital-exclusive series, aka manga that launch first and immediately on the Manga Plus/Jump+ apps, and thus can't be pirated or leaked days before street date. And yeah, it makes perfect sense that series that CAN'T be pirated before they're out on a free legal platform would see bigger readership numbers out of the gate than series where readers can get spoilers days before the magazine is out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kraz



Joined: 28 Aug 2016
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Telu wrote:
I don't know how this app is so popular in Hispanic countries, do you want to read some manga? Too bad, there are only 3 or 5 chapters available, then there is a chapter jump to 1XX, with a message that says "Currently the chapters between are not available in this app". For ever and ever.

Maybe they are just counting the app downloads.

They offer you a way to read legally and free the latest chapters of their manga, and you still find a way to complain...
But your point remain, like you I'm wondering why there's not a paid subscription or a link to buy a digital version of the manga...
I guess the publishing rights are a mess because they're sold separately in each country ?

It's popular in Hispanic countries because it's only available in English and Spanish, for now at least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Telu



Joined: 08 Sep 2019
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Kraz wrote:
Telu wrote:
I don't know how this app is so popular in Hispanic countries, do you want to read some manga? Too bad, there are only 3 or 5 chapters available, then there is a chapter jump to 1XX, with a message that says "Currently the chapters between are not available in this app". For ever and ever.

Maybe they are just counting the app downloads.

They offer you a way to read legally and free the latest chapters of their manga, and you still find a way to complain...


Man, your argument has one big flaw, and that is that you take for granted that everyone who downloads that app is already on par with the mangas it has.

Bro, the only manga I've read is Claymore, and that was years ago, I'm not so obsessed with the world of manga, but since a free app was announced I wanted to support it by looking for some manga that would catch my attention but there are so few chapters that it's not worth it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ATastySub



Joined: 19 Jan 2012
Posts: 208
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Telu wrote:
Kraz wrote:
Telu wrote:
I don't know how this app is so popular in Hispanic countries, do you want to read some manga? Too bad, there are only 3 or 5 chapters available, then there is a chapter jump to 1XX, with a message that says "Currently the chapters between are not available in this app". For ever and ever.

Maybe they are just counting the app downloads.

They offer you a way to read legally and free the latest chapters of their manga, and you still find a way to complain...


Man, your argument has one big flaw, and that is that you take for granted that everyone who downloads that app is already on par with the mangas it has.

Bro, the only manga I've read is Claymore, and that was years ago, I'm not so obsessed with the world of manga, but since a free app was announced I wanted to support it by looking for some manga that would catch my attention but there are so few chapters that it's not worth it.

I think we just found the real big flaw here and it's not the one you think it is. The main purpose of the app is for people that are following currently running series and want up to date access to them in in a form with official quality and consistency. Personally I prefer reading Jump titles through Viz, but Mangaplus makes plenty of sense. It's not really geared towards someone that read Claymore years ago and doesn't care about any currently running series. It sounds like something like Viz's version or Comixology is more what you're looking for.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Telu



Joined: 08 Sep 2019
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:26 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Telu wrote:
Kraz wrote:
Telu wrote:
I don't know how this app is so popular in Hispanic countries, do you want to read some manga? Too bad, there are only 3 or 5 chapters available, then there is a chapter jump to 1XX, with a message that says "Currently the chapters between are not available in this app". For ever and ever.

Maybe they are just counting the app downloads.

They offer you a way to read legally and free the latest chapters of their manga, and you still find a way to complain...


Man, your argument has one big flaw, and that is that you take for granted that everyone who downloads that app is already on par with the mangas it has.

Bro, the only manga I've read is Claymore, and that was years ago, I'm not so obsessed with the world of manga, but since a free app was announced I wanted to support it by looking for some manga that would catch my attention but there are so few chapters that it's not worth it.

I think we just found the real big flaw here and it's not the one you think it is. The main purpose of the app is for people that are following currently running series and want up to date access to them in in a form with official quality and consistency. Personally I prefer reading Jump titles through Viz, but Mangaplus makes plenty of sense. It's not really geared towards someone that read Claymore years ago and doesn't care about any currently running series. It sounds like something like Viz's version or Comixology is more what you're looking for.

Well, looks like this app is not for me, sad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kraz



Joined: 28 Aug 2016
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Telu wrote:
Kraz wrote:
Telu wrote:
I don't know how this app is so popular in Hispanic countries, do you want to read some manga? Too bad, there are only 3 or 5 chapters available, then there is a chapter jump to 1XX, with a message that says "Currently the chapters between are not available in this app". For ever and ever.

Maybe they are just counting the app downloads.

They offer you a way to read legally and free the latest chapters of their manga, and you still find a way to complain...


Man, your argument has one big flaw, and that is that you take for granted that everyone who downloads that app is already on par with the mangas it has.

Bro, the only manga I've read is Claymore, and that was years ago, I'm not so obsessed with the world of manga, but since a free app was announced I wanted to support it by looking for some manga that would catch my attention but there are so few chapters that it's not worth it.

I understand it's frustrating, but I don't think they really have much choice there, they're only providing the free version of shonen jump+, and still want you to buy the published manga.

From my experience only (I didn't read manga for a while before I discovered mangaplus through an ann news), they usually have the 6 starting chapters available, and the 6 latest one, meaning you can catch-up from those started 2-3 months ago, and they launched quite a few new series, it's not bad at all to try to catch new readers.

I believe the number of chapters has been negotiated, some series seems more restricted than others, I was curious and looked into "'Tis Time for "Torture", Princess", it seems the manga is not available in the US... and coincidentally the whole 71 chapters are available on manga plus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zalis116
Moderator


Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 6566
Location: Kazune City
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Lmfao. of course he had to tack that BS on there despite there being dozens of studies that have shown piracy has ZERO effect on sales.

Tell that to Geneon, Bandai, and Central Park Media, who all shut down in the late 2000s/early 2010s after piracy became easier and more widespread (as it went from hard/slow IRC downloads to moderately-difficult and fast torrent downloads to easy/instant illegal streaming), and sales collapsed. Something tells me those studies looked at more mainstream entertainment, and didn't take into account the uniquely self-serving "stick it to the man, Japanese superfans will keep the industry alive and keep the free stuff coming my way" culture of the anime fandom viewerbase.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Replica_Rabbit



Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 207
Location: Portland
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Why the U.S. is #1 despite that Shonen Jump app and website exist in the U.S.

But unpopular opinion -- I think MangaPlus is not great because it has only 3 first & last chapters (6 first & last chapters for non-popular mangas), and I don't like that. MangaPlus is not great for latecomers and those who read mangas for the first time. Latecomers are forced to read the missing chapters on illegal manga sites. Sad.

What non-popular mangas you talking about? The ones that just on Mangaplus have all the chapters on it. (like Hokkaido, Tis time for "tortue", Monster #8 and etc)
As a old school latercomer, they'll be fine. The first time I watch DBZ was the Buu saga on the internation channel and it took years to catch up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group