• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu Yu Hakusho Manga Gets Live-Action Series on Netflix

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh man! Oh God! Oh man! Oh God! Oh man! Oh God! Oh man! Oh God! Oh man! Oh God...
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Hang on, I think the combination of my meds is making me loopy. I can't be seeing this correctly.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Yu Yu Hakusho Evolution then. Togashi will have to green-light a anime movie sequel to wash the bad taste out.

Last edited by Zeino on Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Alright, who is it? Who keeps green lighting these things?
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
After seeing what they did the winx club; I have no faith in this.
gold12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Live action series inspired by the manga by Yu Yu Hakusho. So it will not be a faithful series but with various changes compared to the original work.
The poster already does not convince me.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
gold12 wrote:
Live action series inspired by the manga by Yu Yu Hakusho. So it will not be a faithful series but with various changes compared to the original work.

The visual in the article is from the 2019 stage play, not from the upcoming Netflix series.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
gold12 wrote:

That poster is from the stage play version.
gold12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:02 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
gold12 wrote:

That poster is from the stage play version.

Fortunately, because it didn't convince me.

However, considering that it's Netflix, which 50% does good series and 50% does bad series, or it will either be a good series or it will be crap, 50% chance.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I assume this is a Japanese production like Bleach and not a western production like Death Note.
UkiyaSeed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
capt_bunny wrote:
After seeing what they did the winx club; I have no faith in this.

It's being handled by the Japanese team and it is produced under ROBOT, the same production company behind Alice in Borderland. Heard good reviews about the show.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing how bad Younger Toguro looks in live-action Laughing In all seriousness,I have the same feelings towards this as the upcoming Cowboy Bebop live-action. I have zero expectations for it, and if it's terrible then I'll just go back to rewatching the original. A bad live-action isn't gonna make the original disappear.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the phenomenon that is live-action anime adaptations at all, especially as they often seem to focus on series that are fundamentally difficult to do justice to with real-world physics and living critters. I would get it if they focused on, say, romance shoujo or something, where the same story could reasonably be told in live-action and it's an established franchise so there's a sense of capitalizing on a fan-base that definitely exists, but that rarely seems to be the case (unless I'm just missing a bunch of stories about live-action adaptations like that).

Is this just an echo of the film/movie industries strongly preferring to recycle old ideas over developing new ones? Is there some other reason for it? I cannot imagine that any competent investor can look at a new anime-to-live-action adaptation and think, "Yes. That kind of thing has done well in the past and will probably work."

Or.. maybe I'm wrong? I've never actually looked; despite being generally atrocious, do anime live-action adaptations somehow pull decent profits, in some sense?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I don't understand the phenomenon that is live-action anime adaptations at all, especially as they often seem to focus on series that are fundamentally difficult to do justice to with real-world physics and living critters. I would get it if they focused on, say, romance shoujo or something, where the same story could reasonably be told in live-action and it's an established franchise so there's a sense of capitalizing on a fan-base that definitely exists, but that rarely seems to be the case (unless I'm just missing a bunch of stories about live-action adaptations like that).

Is this just an echo of the film/movie industries strongly preferring to recycle old ideas over developing new ones? Is there some other reason for it? I cannot imagine that any competent investor can look at a new anime-to-live-action adaptation and think, "Yes. That kind of thing has done well in the past and will probably work."

Or.. maybe I'm wrong? I've never actually looked; despite being generally atrocious, do anime live-action adaptations somehow pull decent profits, in some sense?

I would say it’s because -

1. It is much easier to hype people with an existing IP, no matter how small, than make something from scratch.

2. The comic property well worth adapting has been pretty much tapped. So go East.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
Bunch of pointless flame bait and troll posts, or responses to them, are gone. Nobody says you have to be a fan of the news, but simply posting "this is gun suk yo" type posts adds nothing to the conversation. It's the same crap posts every time a live action adaptation is announced. Either post some actual thoughts and discussion or just move on please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2