• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime's 5th Season's New Promo Video Reveals March 27 Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ETX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
The 1-A vs 1-B arc in the manga was an arc that I wanted to be over and done with quickly, reading it weekly felt like it dragged on but after binge-reading it again it's not so bad.

But Studio BONES really be going off with the animation for this arc it seems. What a lot of people would see as another generic tournnament-style arc looking real vibrant and flashy.

Bring on March 2021!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:43 am Reply with quote
Goddamn that Iida kick.

He turned into a COMET!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:44 am Reply with quote
Its great that they are starting season 5 but I wish someone would get around to giving an anime adaption to Vigilante. I have been enjoying that manga almost as much as I have been the original.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
I really loved this arc even if it ended up going on for around 5 months! They've been able to adapt the material faithfully while also having it flow a bit better for the last 4 seasons, so I'm sure this will be no different. Also, going back and reading this whole arc in a couple sessions likely makes for a better experience, as well.

They've been able to more or less fit multiple arcs in each season, so spoiler[there's a possibility they could do the Joint-class arc in one cour and then the Villain arc in the 2nd. But I really don't want the latter rushed. I've mainly read the manga once as chapters come out, then as I watch those arcs get animated I'm like "Wow, did things really go this fast?"]
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote
I never quite got the hate for this arc since it easily has some of the most fun battles the series has done (which is ironic given everyone says they want better fights in MHA, I mean, here they are, on a platter) I'm looking forward to seeing these animated especially the spoiler[team Todoroki fight] also I'm sure the audience reaction to the climax of this arc will be just fuuuuun Rolling Eyes
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't read the manga but I'm psyched to see more of the 1-B squad. May douche Rogue be punched many, many times. Laughing
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Its great that they are starting season 5 but I wish someone would get around to giving an anime adaption to Vigilante. I have been enjoying that manga almost as much as I have been the original.

id tie them both too, but the constant presence of shota and kayama makes vigilantes the clear winner
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder how they are actually going to start off the season, since it ended right in the middle of a chapter with more to show + the fact that they usually do a recap episode at the start? It would just be awkward to have the latter and then immediately go back to the Hood Nomu fight from S4.

I guess they could have a typical "anime-only" recap episode with the students that bleeds into everyone watching the news on tv with Endeavor? That way the first real episode can jump off without it feeling too disjointed.

And yeah I agree, the 1A vs 1B arc plays a lot better marathoned, and I believe the faster pacing of the anime (instead of weekly chapters) will help too.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Unlike some people I actually love this arc. I love it whenever a manga gives some of the side characters time to shine rather than running into the usual problem where the supporting cast is de-emphasized and only the main characters matter.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I never quite got the hate for this arc since it easily has some of the most fun battles the series has done (which is ironic given everyone says they want better fights in MHA, I mean, here they are, on a platter) I'm looking forward to seeing these animated especially the spoiler[team Todoroki fight] also I'm sure the audience reaction to the climax of this arc will be just fuuuuun Rolling Eyes

Lots of "fans" automatically hate and deride anything they perceive as a tournament, without necessarily paying attention to what is actually happening and the broader implications. The same "people" denounce any section of the story that doesn't focus on the main characters (or at least who they have decided are the main characters), without any interest in the broader world or shifts in the story.

And this arc very easily checks both of those boxes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:41 am Reply with quote
Looks like the class battle is going to be great, animation-wise.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:23 am Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Lots of "fans" automatically hate and deride anything they perceive as a tournament, without necessarily paying attention to what is actually happening and the broader implications.

And this arc very easily checks both of those boxes.[/quote]
The general consensus about this arc was that it was much better than the other school arcs, but that it felt like it took forever to conclude. This was mainly because we were getting less pages per chapter due to Horikoshi's condition at the time. Burning out on the weekly format is something that tends to happen with almost every shonen manga (Bleach being #1 on that list).

Other than the fact that the school arcs are often less interesting than the villain arcs for obvious reasons, and that Horikoshi is amusingly bad at transitioning to a new arc, it's really not that difficult to see why people weren't excited about it. I'm just glad Bones seems to be pulling out the stops to ensure fans will love this arc, because the best thing about this arc were that we got to spend time with the other characters for once.

Quote:
The same "people" denounce any section of the story that doesn't focus on the main characters (or at least who they have decided are the main characters), without any interest in the broader world or shifts in the story.

The most common criticism of MHA across the board is that the series mostly spend time with five of the students and no one else, so I doubt this was a problem for anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1