• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otherside Picnic Anime's Ad Previews CHICO with Honeyworks' Opening Song

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I picked up the novels on which this series was based this past weekend, and am halfway through the third. I'm finding them to be great reads. The scenes from the promotional videos have all be recognizable from the books, so I'm looking forward to this series.

Mike Toole's speculation on the ANN watch-the-trailers video is correct, the novels were certainly inspired by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky's Roadside Picnic which was loosely adapted into Andrei Tarkovsky's film Stalker (in the second chapter of the first novel the girls meet a character who refers to the Otherside as "the Zone" (the term used in Roadside Picnic), and uses the trick of tossing bolts ahead of himself to detect "glitches" (places of weird physics) in the Zone that was used in Stalker).

The novels are like Boogiepop (with its allusions to urban legends) meets Roadside Picnic with a little bit of the recent movie Annihilation mixed in.

Plus, hooray, they're not in high-school!

Last edited by dm on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
J Novel Club has also issued a physical Omnibus volume of the first two volumes of the novel. I picked up mine from my comic shop last Wednesday.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm still debating on watching this. If I'm curious enough, I'll just wait until a few episodes air and then try it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1