• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK Documentary Captures Hideaki Anno's Creative Struggles on Final Evangelion Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Glad he is alive, glad he finished it, and glad he seems to have made peace with anime.

As long as he still has the passion for it, I'll keep watch his stuff.
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Glad he is alive, glad he finished it, and glad he seems to have made peace with anime.

As long as he still has the passion for it, I'll keep watch his stuff.

Here here!
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
After the anime first became a social phenomenon, he encountered internet threads written by people debating on "the best way to kill Anno."

What the hell!? Why!? I know that when a content creator becomes famous, these kinds of things are inevitable. There will be awful people who are going to be awful to you for fun. It was true back when the internet was young, and it’s still true now.

But even so- what the hell!? I don’t blame Anno at all for losing interest in creating anime after that.

I’m glad that he’s found the will to keep going and finish the Eva movies how he wanted. I’ve heard that he’s been doing better since he married and had the support of his wife. Keep going and be strong Anno!
Lann

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:21 am Reply with quote
there was a documentary video about him during the pre production of Kare Kano I believe, where it shows him going through the motions of getting over his depression / post Eva life. It was really interesting.

found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGJ_Kq8qifQ
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess this would explain why '4.0' took awhile...

Poor guy. '3.0' really was channelling a lot of those feelings where Shinji was coming to grips with the depressing reality that set in. The sort of 'about-turn' that you wouldn't expect after '2.0.'

I found that really interesting in how it depicts a character at rock bottom after failing to achieve everything he was trying to accomplish in the previous film.

Undoubtedly there were a lot of people who hated the direction 3.0 took and took to the net to voice that and that no doubt contributed to Anno's issues.

I too think taking dumb random hyperbolic sarcastic comments on the internet is not really something to think of seriously, but if Anno is the sensitive creative sort at the time the net was coming to the fore then he and people like him might be hit harder by this kind of thing.

I can sympathise with the feeling where something you work on hard to do in the hopes it achieves something fails to achieve it and leaves you languishing and thinking the failure means you weren't cut out for doing something, which isn't true. But it's likely doubly tough when there are people who'll actively hate you for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the resolution of the Rebuild. I have a feeling it'll be more hopeful than End of Evangelion.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:29 am Reply with quote
Yes. This has been a known thing since the original release and it is great to see Anno overcome such an ordeal. Like Sawano's inset song in Aldnoah Zero says "Keep on keeping on!" Thank you Anno for all your hard work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1