• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hajime no Ippo Manga Gets Digital Releases on July 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:18 am Reply with quote
I hope Morikawa doesn't end up like Miura did recently, RIP. I really want to see Ippo and Miyata's decades-awaited rematch.
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
I would hope so. Kinda hard to tell where we are going since spoiler[Ippo is a second right now]. All we can hope for is George having a healthy but still livable life.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
First, a little correction:
Quote:
Morikawa launched Hajime no Ippo in 1989, and the series is his only manga.

This is completely false. Morikawa had two manga before Ippo, Nazuya Now & Signal Blue (both in 1986), as well as Ai ni Ikuyo! in 2012. It's just that neither are especially long, only 1-2 volumes each, but they do exist. In fact, Morikawa only wound up making Ippo because he decided that it was going to be his last attempt at being a mangaka, so he made a boxing manga like Ashita no Joe, which he had held off on doing at first.

Anyway, I seriously didn't know that, until now, Morikawa was up there with Takehiko Inoue (also until recently) & Naoki Urusawa (who I think still is?) as a manga who wasn't supportive of digital releases. Glad to see that he's changed his mind on things, so now there's maybe a 1% chance of Kodansha USA licensing the Ippo manga for English release (even if only digitally), instead of the 0% chance it originally had.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Morikawa Jōji also drew Silhouette Knight (1983, his debut) and Inside Graffiti (1984, serialised in Magagine Special).

Last edited by shosakukan on Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:20 pm Reply with quote
shosakukan wrote:
Actually, Morikawa Jyōji also drew Silhouette Knight (1983, his debut) and Inside Graffiti (1984, serialised in Magagine Special).

Traditionally, one-shots aren't counted when going over a mangaka's "debut work". A little weird, sure, but that's generally how it's done, probably using the logic of "You don't really 'debut' until it's serialized", since plenty of people can get one-shots published (especially people who are still working as assistants to other mangaka), but never actually get serialized.
shosakukan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Morikawa Jōji himself admitted that Silhouette Knight was his debut, and the editor for Kōdansha who dealt with early manga by Morikawa and the writer for Kōdansha said that Silhouette Knight was Morikawa's debut.
http://www.moae.jp/comic/howtobeamangaartist/15

And whilst you wrote, 'Morikawa had two manga before Ippo' and raised manga by Morikawa before Ippo, you did not mention Inside Graffiti, which had been serialised in Kōdansha's Magagine Special.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
. Glad to see that he's changed his mind on things, so now there's maybe a 1% chance of Kodansha USA licensing the Ippo manga for English release (even if only digitally), instead of the 0% chance it originally had.

0.1% chance, I'd say...it's a too long series and not too popular to even be considered by western publishers. The same problem of Golgo 13, by the way...
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Length isn't nearly as big an issue in the digital space, where they don't have to worry about the logistics of print.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:49 pm Reply with quote
But they have to worry about sales...it's not a series that could sell too well, even only translating 100 volumes has huge costs...
Adv193

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
What this article is not mentioning is that the digital release is for Japan only. Too bad though, as I had to check through another source since this is something that would sound too good to be true outside of Japan which was correct. I hope in the future Kodansha could put this on their digital firsts for digital releases outside of Japan just like with Rave Master which I bought all the volumes.

Source: ttps://otakuusamagazine.com/all-131-volumes-of-hajime-no-ippo-manga-go-digital-in-japan/
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Time to start begging Kodansha USA.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
But they have to worry about sales...it's not a series that could sell too well, even only translating 100 volumes has huge costs...

You overestimate how much these companies actually pay translators lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1