• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Does Piracy Affect Korean Webtoon Artists?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
I mean isn't this in the end a late stage capitalism tactic of pairing the exploited creators against the poor consumers while companies just get richer all around? Creators want to live doing the work they make, everyone else wants a reason to live. Capitalism forces the responsibility on the consumers while the exploiters siphon off everything else around them.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:47 am Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
The fact is people assume the creators lose money from piracy. That is not necessarily true at all. If the free webtoon is taken away there is ZERO proof the pirates would shrug and go, "Welp, guess I need to get that cash out." That's not the way the market for entertainment works. What ends up happening is that media just isn't used and it remains obscure. The creator still loses. Only if the entertainment us effective do people go out and purchase it. If the media is entertaining, the demand gives it worth. People will pay for it. I like the webtoons model for example. People will pay for future chapters of something they are hooked on. Those stories that aren't as good wont get that.

Fact is not all media is good. Not all is entertaining. Interestingly enough, piracy sometimes creates demand for hidden gems that other factors such as language barriers and distribution restrict.

Let the market handle this.

Which do you think a creator would prefer?
1) 10,000 people read one of their works, but all 10,000 people pay for it.
2) 10,000 people read and pay for one of their works, and an additional 90,000 pirate it.

The revenue is the same either way, but all the quotes from artists in this article indicate that they'd choose scenario (1). Because in scenario (2) those 90,000 are out in piracy-centric communities, telling themselves and others where to find and pirate that artist's past and future work, reinforcing ideas like "content should be free, it's just 'cultural sharing,' anyone who says you should pay is wrong and probably a company shill/sockpuppet, companies don't really pay artists that much - so you may as well pirate, and besides they censor and change every last line to fit their (nebulously-defined) 'agenda' ", and otherwise spreading anti-industry propaganda and lies, and nursing culture-war grievances against legitimate companies.

"The media sucked to begin with" is just a retroactive rationalization for freeloading. Sure, there are cases where pirates will read a chapter or two, decide it's not for them, and quit reading. Pretty much no harm, no foul there. But plenty will read hundreds of chapters / watch dozens of episodes over a period of months or years, then decide to pay nothing into the system with "Well it wasn't actually that good, I wouldn't have paid for it anyway, on to the next season Wink" If the "free advertising" and "exposure" generated by piracy actually helped sales, we wouldn't have seen the US anime market crash in the late 2000s, while the piracy-driven popularity of anime and convention numbers were soaring.

The fatal flaw in the conception of piracy as part of a capitalist/market system is that piracy is NOT a market behavior. It's not just another consumer choice among a range of options. Entertainment media are not some vague, abstract ideas being "shared" around -- they are commercial products that require skilled personnel (who have to be housed/fed/educated/etc.), physical spaces, equipment, money, and other resources to be produced. A consumer reaction to "this media is too expensive and inconvenient" would be to spend their money on other entertainment that provides a better value. To present piracy as a valid consumer choice means asserting that "consumers" have a right to enjoy those products, and benefit from the systems that fund and produce them, without contributing to those systems -- in other words, that they have a right to free stuff paid for by other people's money, if they don't feel like paying for entertainment themselves. Whatever "-ism" that is, it's not capitalism.

The decision to pirate it instead is a decision to engage in violence, in that it violates the artists' and companies' rights. (And it doesn't matter that nothing physical is being taken, as the action is still a transgression against another entity's rights -- your rights end where theirs begin.)

gRmLn wrote:
I don't think even the most prolific pirates would get upset because everything isn't handed to them for free. On the other hand, there are some creators who believe they are entitled to having their work accessed only through channels they approve, and that sharing should never happen unless they allow it. In other words, they believe they are entitled to a certain courtesy, that they deserve to be exempted from the world's rudeness. Sad to say, no human has ever enjoyed such a privilege.

Any other business would not be considered "entitled" if it had reasonable expectations that those who engage in violence and obtain their products/services without paying for them might be captured and punished by agents of the state. The rule of law, after all, is another fundamental part of free-market economies, but pro-piracy ideologues want to have it both ways. They insist that piracy can never be stopped via legal enforcement measures, i.e. that the rule of law holds no sway, yet still insist on applying a market framework to describe the media landscape. As the article says,
Quote:
Because piracy sites can distribute any IP and monopolize the revenue, Lezhin does not consider them as “competitors.”
Competitors that gain unfair advantages over others by not following the rules are better known by another term: "cheaters." And again, the anti-industry crowd wants to have it both ways: extolling the virtues of free-market
competition, while cheering for cheaters.

gRmLn wrote:
Such examples of exploitation is by no means exclusive to CR. You can't always unionize your way to sustainability, but in this instance you can vote with your wallet. The high seas also offer a far better experience and much greater selection.

Complaining that CR's translators aren't paid enough by going to bootleg sites and enjoying CR's translations for free is not a principled pro-labor stance. Same with all the crocodile tears shed for "The Animators" by those who have no reservations about enjoying those animators' work for free. Voting with one's wallet would be spending one's money on other kinds of entertainment instead of watching CR's subtitles and/or anime in general. Piracy is not free-market consumer behavior.

gRmLn wrote:
How many pirate sites have a better web player and wider selection than CR and Funi? Paid services have no excuse for not being superior or at least on par with services that are free, yet we live in a reality where some things are just backwards and people are expected to just take it and be happy they get anything at all.

Piracy is definitely a service problem, especially when you're expected to pay a higher price for an inferior service.

How are legal sites supposed to have a wider selection than pirate sites? Barring the ideal scenario of all the rights getting sorted out for the many old/obscure/"too cheap to bother licensing" titles out there, the pirate sites would still have a better selection... unless the pirate sites are forced to take certain titles down. Sure, legal sites could stand to improve their players, but that doesn't really move the needle. If pirates are pirating because they think "not all anime for not-free" is a worse deal than "all anime for free," that means piracy is a pricing problem, no matter what Cult of Personality Leader Gabe Newell said about an entirely different industry a decade ago. If Steam were judged the way anime viewers judge anime services, it would've been burned to the group by piracy for not letting gamers play any game they wanted for a few bucks a month.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:37 am Reply with quote
I fully understand creators getting upset about piracy, and I would never suggest that they shouldn't be able to express those feelings. At the same time, though, piracy is an incredibly complicated issue, and I think reducing it to a simplistic us-vs-them mentality doesn't do anyone any favors. The line about people not stealing computers or phones reminds me of the most cringe-worthy MPAA anti-piracy slogan: "You wouldn't download a car, would you?" Um, you're goddamn right I would if I could! Who wouldn't? The point being that analogies like this utterly fall apart when faced with fully-digital goods that can be infinitely duplicated without requiring any resource expenditure. If I copy a JPG or MP3 and send it to a friend, that doesn't magically remove the file from my possession, as it would if I gave them a physical object. It's frustrating seeing these erroneous arguments that should have been put to bed two decades ago continue to be floated today, because there's so much more to this topic that needs to be discussed by all sides.

It's funny seeing this article led off with the infamous Gabe Newell quote, because what never seems to get discussed is the context behind it. The PC gaming world pre-Steam was...kind of a complete Wild West, and I could get into great detail as to why, but suffice it to say that getting games installed and properly patched could be very intimidating for a neophyte. Steam changed all that: now you could buy games digitally, have the installation completely handled, and receive patches automatically. It required substantially less effort to simply buy a PC game on Steam than it did to pirate it, and thus people were more than willing to spend their money. Perhaps most importantly, as Steam grew and evolved over the years, it essentially became a one-stop shop for PC gaming as a whole, to the point where almost anything you'd ever want to play gets released there. Even what are ostensibly Valve's direct competitors play ball in Steam's court, because they know where the money is: EA has Origin but wound up bringing some of their notable titles back to Steam recently, Ubisoft has Uplay (lol) but still publishes their titles there, Microsoft has had its own store for years yet brought such notables as Halo(!) and Forza Horizon to Steam, hell even Sony got into the PC game and released a flagship like Horizon: Zero Dawn there. The fact that so many people made such a big stink about Epic's artificial exclusive period is because we were so used to the convenience of having everything at our fingertips in one place.

Now obviously the anime/manga industry has made great strides over the past decade or so in making anime far more accessible, but there are still certain systemic issues. Some of them are rights forces outside of anyone's control, others are self-inflicted, but whatever the case they do represent genuine negatives in a lot of people's eyes, and there's nothing at all resembling a Steam-like service out there. Streaming services are ephemeral, with older titles regularly vanishing without warning, and not everyone is into shelling out money for what is essentially a rental. Digital distribution might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned, as there is literally no one out there willing to sell you a straight download of an anime episode in the same way that you can buy an MP3 or FLAC of a song. And I'm sorry, but the digital service being described in this article seems particularly odious. Purchasing some sort of artificial premium currency, and then using that to buy individual chapters of a long-form work? Woof. It reminds me of various streaming libraries selling anime series per individual episode...yeah, not in this lifetime buddy.

(In this particular case, I also wonder if there's something of a cultural gap too. At least in the West, there's an incredibly long tradition of webcomics being completely free to read, originally entirely ad-supported but now supplemented/supplanted by Patreon and the like. I have to admit that the thought of paying per chapter of a fully-online comic isn't a concept that's ever come across my radar before.)

At the end of the day, I will occasionally download things, or even rarely dip my toe into a shitty illicit streaming site that probably gives me e-herpes, but I make no bones about it being some sort of ethical crusade or whatnot. I do it for probably the same reason most people do: it exists, and it's convenient. I'll never pretend otherwise. At the same time, I also buy a lot of physical releases, and I will absolutely go back and purchase anything that gets a physical release over here, because why would I not want to own something I like? (Hell, I've imported a nice little handful of UK/AU releases when certain titles didn't get a decent release here.) I say that not as an excuse or a free pass or anything, but given how much money I've poured into this industry over the years, I'm not exactly losing any sleep over the occasional torrent.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
fully understand creators getting upset about piracy, and I would never suggest that they shouldn't be able to express those feelings. At the same time, though, piracy is an incredibly complicated issue, and I think reducing it to a simplistic us-vs-them mentality doesn't do anyone any favors.

I doubt anyone who works in the industry is going to openly encourage or support piracy , even if we all know most of them do it themselves. That's why these discussions never go anywhere. Nobody who wants to keep their job or stay in good relations with official companies is ever going to relent or even give credence to any talking points about piracy. Even if they, say, host illegal watch parties on the side with their friends on certain live-streaming websites or Discord every week, they have to maintain a an anti-piracy stance on all their official channels to stay professional. If people are hoping to actually change people's minds or find some middle ground, then I'm afraid it's never really going to happen. When it comes to discussing industry issues and topics, is generally is an 'us vs them' thing a lot of the time.

Quote:
If I copy a JPG or MP3 and send it to a friend, that doesn't magically remove the file from my possession, as it would if I gave them a physical object. It's frustrating seeing these erroneous arguments that should have been put to bed two decades ago continue to be floated today, because there's so much more to this topic that needs to be discussed by all sides.

You basically described the "copying is not theft" song, which I always found catchy.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:11 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
I doubt anyone who works in the industry is going to openly encourage or support piracy , even if we all know most of them do it themselves. That's why these discussions never go anywhere.

Can't remember where well enough to cite anything, but I thought some ANN staff had argued that piracy was not really a major problem for some non-anime industries (e.g., videogames & Steam), but that they think the evidence is different for Anime/Manga? From my brief discussions with a few ANN staffers here before, it also seemed to me the evidence of piracy being costly with little upside to creators seemed somewhat more one-sided for Anime/Manga (i.e., that the evidence ANN staff pointed to mostly seems to indicate piracy is a significant net negative for Anime/Manga as industries). If I'm not misremembering (hopefully ANN staff will correct me if I am, of course), that seems a more nuanced take than "Piracy is always and everywhere an overall net-negative financially, and fundamentally immoral to boot".

Although -- more than anything -- it just seems to me there's very little systematic, transparent evidence in general, and not much careful research (or, maybe there is but in Japanese-language academic publications that don't make their way into mostly English-language forums?).
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:40 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
I mean isn't this in the end a late stage capitalism tactic of pairing the exploited creators against the poor consumers while companies just get richer all around? Creators want to live doing the work they make, everyone else wants a reason to live. Capitalism forces the responsibility on the consumers while the exploiters siphon off everything else around them.

This is a good way to shift the blame from the consumers to basically anything else...let's blame it in capitalism, let's blame it on companies that exploit other's people work, let's blame it on society...but in the end people should be aware that if they pirate something they can cause an economical damage to the original artist: if you pirate "One Piece" the damage is neglectable, since it already sells millions of volumes anyway, if you pirate for example "Asper Girl", which probably sells only thousands of copies, the damage is much more extended.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:51 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

I doubt anyone who works in the industry is going to openly encourage or support piracy , even if we all know most of them do it themselves. That's why these discussions never go anywhere. Nobody who wants to keep their job or stay in good relations with official companies is ever going to relent or even give credence to any talking points about piracy. Even if they, say, host illegal watch parties on the side with their friends on certain live-streaming websites or Discord every week, they have to maintain a an anti-piracy stance on all their official channels to stay professional. If people are hoping to actually change people's minds or find some middle ground, then I'm afraid it's never really going to happen. When it comes to discussing industry issues and topics, is generally is an 'us vs them' thing a lot of the time.

Yeah, like I said, I don't expect any creative types to share my viewpoint, and that's fine, but it would be nice to be able to have a more nuanced discussion that doesn't devolve into "this is awful never do it" vs. "lol I can get everything for free." What's frustrating are the situations where the creator wants to make a living off of what they're creating, and the audience wants to purchase that creation, but there are obstacles or complications placed in-between, some of which may have nothing to do with the creator themselves.

NeverConvex wrote:

Can't remember where well enough to cite anything, but I thought some ANN staff had argued that piracy was not really a major problem for some non-anime industries (e.g., videogames & Steam), but that they think the evidence is different for Anime/Manga? From my brief discussions with a few ANN staffers here before, it also seemed to me the evidence of piracy being costly with little upside to creators seemed somewhat more one-sided for Anime/Manga (i.e., that the evidence ANN staff pointed to mostly seems to indicate piracy is a significant net negative for Anime/Manga as industries). If I'm not misremembering (hopefully ANN staff will correct me if I am, of course), that seems a more nuanced take than "Piracy is always and everywhere an overall net-negative financially, and fundamentally immoral to boot".

Although -- more than anything -- it just seems to me there's very little systematic, transparent evidence in general, and not much careful research (or, maybe there is but in Japanese-language academic publications that don't make their way into mostly English-language forums?).

I could definitely see piracy playing more of a role in the anime/manga world than it does/did on the gaming side of things, though the counter-argument could be that there doesn't really exist any sort of true Steam analog that would help to dissuade this. You're absolutely right that there needs to be much more concrete research, as much as that is possible.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
The online manga providers sound extremely expensive from what folks have said in this thread so far (I've not tried any of them, so no idea), but Crunchy/Funi (and to a lesser extent the various other streaming platforms) seem like they fit in roughly the same niche as Steam for anime? Subscription for streaming isn't identical to buying and downloading a digital product, of course, but it is pretty similar in being extremely accessible and very cheap per episode viewed, on average, I think.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
What do people consider too expensive?

That is the one thing I'm not clear about.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
The fact is people assume the creators lose money from piracy. That is not necessarily true at all. If the free webtoon is taken away there is ZERO proof the pirates would shrug and go, "Welp, guess I need to get that cash out." That's not the way the market for entertainment works. What ends up happening is that media just isn't used and it remains obscure. The creator still loses. Only if the entertainment us effective do people go out and purchase it. If the media is entertaining, the demand gives it worth. People will pay for it. I like the webtoons model for example. People will pay for future chapters of something they are hooked on. Those stories that aren't as good wont get that.

Fact is not all media is good. Not all is entertaining. Interestingly enough, piracy sometimes creates demand for hidden gems that other factors such as language barriers and distribution restrict.

Let the market handle this.

Which do you think a creator would prefer?
1) 10,000 people read one of their works, but all 10,000 people pay for it.
2) 10,000 people read and pay for one of their works, and an additional 90,000 pirate it.

The revenue is the same either way, but all the quotes from artists in this article indicate that they'd choose scenario (1). Because in scenario (2) those 90,000 are out in piracy-centric communities, telling themselves and others where to find and pirate that artist's past and future work, reinforcing ideas like "content should be free, it's just 'cultural sharing,' anyone who says you should pay is wrong and probably a company shill/sockpuppet, companies don't really pay artists that much - so you may as well pirate, and besides they censor and change every last line to fit their (nebulously-defined) 'agenda' ", and otherwise spreading anti-industry propaganda and lies, and nursing culture-war grievances against legitimate companies.

"The media sucked to begin with" is just a retroactive rationalization for freeloading. Sure, there are cases where pirates will read a chapter or two, decide it's not for them, and quit reading. Pretty much no harm, no foul there. But plenty will read hundreds of chapters / watch dozens of episodes over a period of months or years, then decide to pay nothing into the system with "Well it wasn't actually that good, I wouldn't have paid for it anyway, on to the next season Wink" If the "free advertising" and "exposure" generated by piracy actually helped sales, we wouldn't have seen the US anime market crash in the late 2000s, while the piracy-driven popularity of anime and convention numbers were soaring.

The fatal flaw in the conception of piracy as part of a capitalist/market system is that piracy is NOT a market behavior. It's not just another consumer choice among a range of options. Entertainment media are not some vague, abstract ideas being "shared" around -- they are commercial products that require skilled personnel (who have to be housed/fed/educated/etc.), physical spaces, equipment, money, and other resources to be produced. A consumer reaction to "this media is too expensive and inconvenient" would be to spend their money on other entertainment that provides a better value. To present piracy as a valid consumer choice means asserting that "consumers" have a right to enjoy those products, and benefit from the systems that fund and produce them, without contributing to those systems -- in other words, that they have a right to free stuff paid for by other people's money, if they don't feel like paying for entertainment themselves. Whatever "-ism" that is, it's not capitalism.

The decision to pirate it instead is a decision to engage in violence, in that it violates the artists' and companies' rights. (And it doesn't matter that nothing physical is being taken, as the action is still a transgression against another entity's rights -- your rights end where theirs begin.)

The creators' preferences aren't going to change a variety of realities, so you asking the question is beside the point. Although according to the article itself (as well as these discussions in general) it always is about the money. The starving creator put on the street. I actually disagree with your premise regardless of how irrelevant it is. What the creator feels about people reading the creation for free is likely a much lower concern to the creator concerned about his/her living conditions.

You didn't include my full quote, but I started by saying that trying to crack down on piracy was futile. We all know if you really looked, you can find any entertainment on the web for free, despite years of various tactics to stop piracy. So even if creators dont like it, the world of media cant get away from it. But also secondly that even if you could destroy all piracy, revenues are not likely to change. There have been studies on this - I cant off the top of my recite them for you, but the idea is at the very least logically sound.

Piracy is not part of the free market, but it is indicative of a failure in the market. My theory is that the media is overvalued, and even though I'll sound crass for saying this - a lot of it is likely worthless (free access is the only way people will consume it). It is not a retroactive rationalization as you put it. I would argue the fatal flaw in your thinking is that all the creations out there have monetary worth. Technically it does, but it is so small as to be essentially nothing. If, putting pirates aside, these works were to be sold in a free market, they would likely fail to sell. My conclusion is piracy isn't really stopping the market from determining the worth of a lot of these works. And perhaps collectively as a service with a lot if relatively low value properties it equals to something substantial. Perhaps in the article's example not.

I do not condone piracy (just in case your definition of violence was aimed at me - I am quite certain I didn't say that). It is to me though quite besides the point.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:55 am Reply with quote
SciasSlash wrote:
One reason these artists might be poor that isn't piracy is that lezhin has been noted as underpaying and abusing the artists that work for it several times. Strange how this article doesn't note that at all.

Perhaps the reason why Lezhin isn't giving great rates and sites like Crunchyroll aren't paying top dollar for translators is BECAUSE of piracy. When the alternative is to not be paid at all for your work, then even being underpaid sounds good.

There's no moral justification for piracy (especially since these aren't essential goods you'll die without). If you're going to do it regardless, let's not kid ourselves about that. Any boons that piracy might give fall flat if the original creator doesn't want you to pirate their work. Piracy may or may not hurt as much as some people claim but arguing that it is a net positive for the pirated needs a lot more mental gymnastics.
juaifan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:28 am Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
This is a good way to shift the blame from the consumers to basically anything else...let's blame it in capitalism, let's blame it on companies that exploit other's people work, let's blame it on society...but in the end people should be aware that if they pirate something they can cause an economical damage to the original artist: if you pirate "One Piece" the damage is neglectable, since it already sells millions of volumes anyway, if you pirate for example "Asper Girl", which probably sells only thousands of copies, the damage is much more extended.

Is there any way to prove if something is not selling due to piracy rather than it not selling simply because it's not popular or interesting to a lot of people? Confused If something gets cancelled due to piracy then it's on the fans for not supporting the work. But some things get cancelled just cause its unpopular then it would have gotten cancelled anyway. I think whoever said the market adjusts accordingly is right. If a series is liked enough there will be enough people supporting it to keep it going despite pirates. If not, then the punishment for pirates is the series they like being cancelled. I guess it depends on what niche you're aiming to? If you're aiming to an audience that has a lot of disposable income then those will probably get more financial support than aiming to an audience who maybe doesn't have a lot of money to spend on luxury items. There might be something to be said about marketing towards an audience that doesn't or can't buy the comics they read.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:12 am Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:

Is there any way to prove if something is not selling due to piracy rather than it not selling simply because it's not popular or interesting to a lot of people? Confused If something gets cancelled due to piracy then it's on the fans for not supporting the work. But some things get cancelled just cause its unpopular then it would have gotten cancelled anyway. I think whoever said the market adjusts accordingly is right. If a series is liked enough there will be enough people supporting it to keep it going despite pirates. If not, then the punishment for pirates is the series they like being cancelled. I guess it depends on what niche you're aiming to? If you're aiming to an audience that has a lot of disposable income then those will probably get more financial support than aiming to an audience who maybe doesn't have a lot of money to spend on luxury items. There might be something to be said about marketing towards an audience that doesn't or can't buy the comics they read.

Well in this case an artist has said that his only non-pirated work makes 20 times the pirated ones, this means piracy can have a huge impact for a relatively unknown artist. We can't ignore that, we can't always say that "manga got cancelled because they weren't popular enough" (in many cases it's true). People should be aware of the consequences of their actions. But many people don't care if a manga/manhwa is cancelled, because there are tons of new stuff to read anyway.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:38 pm Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:

Yes? While not a 1-to-1 relationship, the accessibility of pirate sites has a clear effect on animanga, and manwha stuff. Whenever a pirate site goes down, traffic to legal sites spikes. Unsurprisingly, there are a lot of people that are willing to pay for something if they have to, but won't if they don't.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I have downloaded and follow a few webcomics in different apps and I just follow the rules to get the free coins or whatever currency that app uses.
It can be a bit annoying, but I’m getting “currency” for free and I get to access these webcomics legally.
My biggest gripe with these official distributors is their localization decisions and sometimes lackluster translations.
I don’t think there is any excuse for official distributors to not deliver quality translations. They’re supposed to be the professionals.
Other than that, if I really like a webcomic I’ll add it to my queue and gather the free currency in order to read the chapters.
I won’t say that I haven’t dipped my foot into pirate sites, because let’s be honest, who hasn’t, but at the same time, if stuff is taken off it’s not really a deal breaker for me. I’m usually already purchasing what I really want to be reading anyway. I mainly like lurking on those sites to read comments from other fans. Unfortunately, on the official channels there is hardly any discussions from fans
And sadly there are some people out there that no matter if it’s available for free legally, they will still chose piracy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4