• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Progressive Film Gets IMAX Screenings in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pedram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
Something that has always been bothering me and I might as well say it here lol

Tons of People and articles keep calling SAO Progressive novel a "retelling" of SAO Novels and I keep on wondering will they ever realize that's not true xD

Retelling is when you tell a story again. basically re-tell it.

But SAO Progressive is not telling anything from SAO again, NOTHING AT ALL.
not a single scene is shared between the 2 series.

SAO Volume 1 started in Floor 74, then flaskback for Day 1 of Death Game.
SAO Volume 2 had a few side story all happening in Floor 25+.
SAO Volume 8 had 1 side story on Day 1 of Death Game.

SAO Progressive start 1 month after Death Game in Floor 1.

The Author literally called it a Sequel to Volume 8's side story, since it start 30 day after that side story from SAO Series.

SAO Progressive is canon to SAO Series and it's event is literally mentioned in SAO Series too many many times.

The Author even mentioned how his plan on writing SAO Progressive is to only tell the story of what was skipped in SAO and not retell anything, that's why the story start 30 day after Death Game and not on Day 1 of it.

But many people still keep on calling it a retelling as if it's retelling the same story in a different way.... imo, it should be called something like a "Midquel" or even Prequel would sound better than retelling. coz only 1 side story happen before it.

On a side note, SAO anime Episode 2 was already adapting SAO Progressive's Floor 1 story they just skip a lot of it. as mentioned by the author himself in Volume 1's afterword.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:27 am Reply with quote
Pedram wrote:
The Author even mentioned how his plan on writing SAO Progressive is to only tell the story of what was skipped in SAO and not retell anything, that's why the story start 30 day after Death Game and not on Day 1 of it.

It'll still skip a lot of the whole Aincrad story, even with Progress, most likely any floors above the conclusion to the elf war arc, with perhaps a few exceptions...
Pedram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Pedram wrote:

It'll still skip a lot of the whole Aincrad story, even with Progress, most likely any floors above the conclusion to the elf war arc, with perhaps a few exceptions...

Yes, that's the most likely senario.
At best, we might have a constant slow pace of floor by floor volumes story up to Floor 25.

which is already unlikely but even if we reach that point, after that it will be either ending or increasing it's pace. since we know already from Main SAO that spoiler[Kirito & Asuna's duo will split apart at Floor 25 after they finished Floor 25 boss fight. and Progressive is all about Kirito and Asuna together.]
Lin Liren

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:04 am Reply with quote
Oh neat! Hopefully there will be an accompanying 4DX option as well, for an almost-literal cinematic-roller-coaster ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1