• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Her Royal Highness Seems to Be Angry GN 1 & 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:49 am Reply with quote
Hello, Rebecca, just curious, how are the translation quality of these two volumes, in terms of diction, grammar and other metrics? Some of their translation quality can be a bit inconsistent at times, so much that even a non-native speaker like me can tell the difference. I wonder if this title is among the better ones
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
They're decent. Not quite top-notch, but definitely better than some of Tokyopop's other titles and pretty smooth to read.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:49 pm Reply with quote
So the double isekai, or isekaiception, does have me intrigued a bit. It at least provides a more different take on the typical fare with isekai novels/manga.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Boy, the title makes me think it'd be some sort of observation diary style story of a butler watching his stuck up mistress (and romance ensues), rather than such a dark story.
It sounds interesting! I hope the light novel gets licensed, as I'd rather read that than the manga (especially if it's got random fanservice, and because I don't really want to support TP).
wacclay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Though it is a shoujo title the genres - military medieval fantasy isekai - and concept has a lot of potential to attract the shonen demographic. Its dark subject matter could attract a seinen audience too. That likely explains the fanservicey art. Based on the cover art alone a person would presume a seinen or younger shounen title (hopefully it isn't off-putting to its primary shoujo audience).
andramus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I understand the appeal of fan service. Heck when I was a teenager it was especially effective on me. I remember liking Star Trek Voyager a lot more when Seven of Nine was added to the show. However I've started to realise that I prefer what I would describe as for lack of better terms innocuous or incidental fan service. That is to say scenes or imagery that may happen to titillate me as the reader/viewer but is organic to the story being told. Scenes or images that could be deliberately included for the purpose of titillation or not as the case may be but are depicted in a way that doesn't take me out of the story or the point of view of the character.

Because I've been enjoying watching Yashahime I've started reading InuYasha for the first time and every now and then there will be a bathing scene with some bare breasts on display. As titillating as that could be - especially for a teenage me - it doesn't feel like it's done in a way that takes me out of the story. Breasts happen to be in the scene but the "camera" doesn't focus on them to the exclusion of all else.

I enjoyed reading Her Royal Highness Seems to Be Angry but some of the fan service took me out of the story. Perhaps especially when the "camera" was positioned from below looking up at the skirts/butts of the female characters. Funnily enough there didn't seem to be much in the way of gratuitous "breastage". If there was I was so distracted by the "buttage" I missed it.

I have a theory that there could be some time travel shenanigans involved in this story. I think there might be an alternative timeline version of Nao from an alternate future who is trying to change the past in order to get back with Leticiel. So far the Nao/isekai aspect hasn't been heavily utlized and I have to wonder if the story will circle back to that in some way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1