• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chinese Internet Conglomerate Tencent to Invest in Kadokawa

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
I hope I'm being paranoid, but this will probably be bad for creative freedom.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
IMO this is a "All your base are belong to us" moment. Shocked
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:07 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I hope I'm being paranoid, but this will probably be bad for creative freedom.

They barely own anything at this point. Now if it was 50-60% of the company that would be another story. Also Japan is very protective of their companies and % of shares that foreign investor's buy into.
Zynurosa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:29 am Reply with quote
this is the beginning of the end for the free anime industry.
we are all so fucked.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
Keep in mind, this is only a minority stake. Still, I have a feeling the Chinese government is gonna go after Tencent much like they went after Wanda Group (the former owner of AMC) for having so many foreign investments.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
Is this the same company who put out Mo Dao Zu Shi?
Series5Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The scary part is if they start limiting and or Censoring content to please their Chinese Investors, that's what I'm most afraid of, as Kadokawa has it's hands in almost all aspects of the Anime / Manga / LN Industry in Japan
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Guys, cool it with the doomsaying. This is merely a minority stake and as the user mentioned before, Japan is very protective of their companies from most foreign purchase, so at least for now, this is just mere investments and not the beginning of China dominating the anime industry.
Touma55

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Ikr? I swear some people love to live in fear of everything.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Chinese companies have been investing in anime for years now. These overreactions are a sign of ignorance, nothing more.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Chinese companies have been investing in anime for years now. These overreactions are a sign of ignorance, nothing more.
John Cena would like to have a word with you

https://deadline.com/2021/10/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-mocks-john-cena-apology-china-1234861606/

It's things like this along with NBA/Hong Kong scandle in 2019 and the Disney Mulan scandle that have people worried. The PRC and it's state run media have already flexed and forced foreign business (media and entertainment businesses in paticular) to take the knee. Being concerned is nit unreasonable as these things are already happening
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The China of today is radically different than the China from 10 years ago. Especially when it comes to media censorship. If a Chinese company in the early 00s bought a minor stake, I would be more inclined to agree with the people shrugging their shoulders. But we don't live in that world anymore (and haven't for a long time). Any movement on this front is newsworthy and I would argue that there is a far greater harm in under-reacting then over.
vampiyan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:06 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
John Cena would like to have a word with you

https://deadline.com/2021/10/last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-mocks-john-cena-apology-china-1234861606/

It's things like this along with NBA/Hong Kong scandle in 2019 and the Disney Mulan scandle that have people worried. The PRC and it's state run media have already flexed and forced foreign business (media and entertainment businesses in paticular) to take the knee. Being concerned is nit unreasonable as these things are already happening

Don't all you have to do is not call Taiwan a country? That's what the Kiryu Coco and John Cena controversies were about.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
@Connor Dino

What makes you sure of that?

@09jcg

What you showed were western examples. We haven't see something from Japan yet, so that part doesn't count. And Hololive in particular is a moot point given that they've stopped doing business in China because of the harassment.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:16 pm Reply with quote
@vampiyan

And what about the other two controversies I listed? If a nuclear superpower and gets bent out of shape because one c-tier actor calls Taiwan a country than yes, I think that's something to be worried abut. That whole freedom of expression thing.

@Ryuji-Dono

That's a fair point and I sincerely hope that remains the case. I'm not going to act like its a nothing burger though. Its certainly news worth reporting and monitoring and the fact that the PRC HAS weaponized its economic clout to encourage censorship and dissuade freedom of expression should always have people concerned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3