• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Berserk Manga Volume Since Kentarou Miura's Passing Ships in U.S., France Next Summer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:09 pm Reply with quote
This article lists the stuff from earlier this year, but any hard core Berserk fans hear anything since September through the grapevine about the manga's future? Or are we still in limbo?
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Still going strong collecting the hardcover omnibuses. Look forward to picking up volume 41. Hope Dark Horse adds some form of the extras that were added to the Japanese version. Either way, still incredibly sad whenever I go back and re-read passages of Berserk. Miura-sensei will always be sorely missed, his art and storytelling helped me and so many others.
Kyo Hisagi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
This article lists the stuff from earlier this year, but any hard core Berserk fans hear anything since September through the grapevine about the manga's future? Or are we still in limbo?

Still in limbo. I really am wondering what are they going to do with such massive property. Just end it here? Or assistants are going to continue his work? Maybe publish rough sketches and overall plot in script format?
We'll have to wait and see. It's all depends on family' wishes, Miura's will and publsiher. I am okay with any outcome.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:

Still in limbo. No news or tweets from assistants, or anyone official yet.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Well this will have to be bought when its released.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:44 am Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Connor Dino wrote:

At this point I have to assume that they're putting together some sort of continuation behind the scenes. If they had decided to simply end the series with Miura's last completed chapter, I imagine they would have announced that when that chapter was published.
Donkey-er

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:40 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Connor Dino wrote:

At this point I have to assume that they're putting together some sort of continuation behind the scenes. If they had decided to simply end the series with Miura's last completed chapter, I imagine they would have announced that when that chapter was published.

It's very possible they didn't state that before so that wouldn't back themselves into a corner if they changed their mind a few years later. At this point I've made my peace with either outcome and I'll just see what happens (if anything happens) when we get there.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:31 am Reply with quote
Duranki´s tankobon features 83 pages of notes, story breakdowns and sketches by Miura. All I want from Berserk is a such a publication. They could easily get at least 200 pages together if the original notes from the mid to late 80s are also included. Especially with the "lost" chapter. Infos on abandoned plots or changes during the writing process (editors would know that) as seen in the colored volumes of The Walking Dead, a post mortem interview with Studio Gaga, art by friends of Miura based on notes. Stuff like that. If Xenogears PERFECT WORKS exist then why not this and what to do with the manga is still "undecided" as of Vol 41´s releases. An editorial note confirms the IP´s limbo.

We also need proper artbooks for all of Miura´s art. Like the ones Hirohiko Araki gets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
I sincerely hope this will include the lost chapter. Echoing the poster above, that and any unused notes and sketches are the only kind of resolution I’m interested in at this point.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Ordered a copy of the NYT because I want to save this historic moment.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Vol 41 has nothing new outside of both covers and 2 colored pin-ups. All finished by his assistant. The new page of Guts that homages the cover to Vol 27 Darkhouse used for its ad should also be by them. Anything truly new will hopefully be put together for Berserk´s version of Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-earth. Miura´s 80s doujinshi feature a version of sci-fi Guts but we only saw glimpses of it in Berserk´s one late 90s artbook. Pages from that one too need to see the light of day. Enough unseen and obscure Berserk content exists to round out its legacy.

There are technically 2 artbooks now. The Artwork of Berserk was only sold at the 2021 exhibition so it's a limited release by design and Berserk: Illustrations File from 1997. A gap in the market that can´t stand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1