• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sabikui Bisco (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:42 am Reply with quote

Sabikui Bisco (TV)

Genres: action, adventure, fantasy
Themes: post-apocalyptic

Plot Summary: In the far future, a disaster known as the “Rusty Wind” has transformed the majority of Japan into a barren desert and left civilization in tatters. After his teacher falls prey to the rust, the roguish Bisco Akahoshi embarks on journey through the sandy wastes to obtain a mushroom known only as the Rust Eater, rumored to cure the ailment. Together with the dashing young doctor Milo, the pair will have to contend with the unforgiving environment and their fellow wanderers in order to make it back alive.

Jan. 10, 2022 (Mondays; Crunchyroll, FUNimation)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
A lot of color and flourishes, but frankly, this is another show whose story feels like it was written by an algorithm, where someone put "mushroom" as the RNG seed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I'd liken this to a movie you would watch based on word of mouth, "you got to see this, this and that happens!" only to find out all that stuff's at the end... except in this case, it doesn't happen at all.

It's a post-apocalyptic story done in the Desert Punk style but unlike the actual Desert Punk series, it doesn't bother to set up the world, tone or lead character in its first episode. Instead, it

Just kind of stops. Great trailer, great premise but that's all outside stuff, inside the story it's all "black market mushrooms" but also "mushrooms are illegal because they're causing a disease" but also "doctor is using mushrooms to control the disease" but also "doctor is looking for new black market mushrooms to fully fight the disease".

People keep telling me this adds up to actual facts we learned but I can only see that they contradict one another.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 am Reply with quote
Mind you, Desert Punk might have been improved by not introducing the lead character ever.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Now that feels like a Deus ex Machina. That he is just alive now, Or also that I thought that actually killing him off earlier was so unlikely that I had started emotionally checking out because it might somehow pull off something like this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I still don't like him just suddenly coming back to life, after essentially falling into what was lava. If the strange liquid was dangerous regenerative, it makes me think all the more silly to try and take the villain out in it. And also why I was so annoyed they didn't just kill him several episode ago when they defeated the guy, while they knew he was dangerous and would cause big trouble by letting him live. He had already at that point gone past the point on showing mercy after his body puppeteering.

I don't know, I wasn't too super with this show. I think that might have leaned a bit too much on wacky for the sake of it, that sometimes things happened that were like it expected us to understand. Such be like we were meant to know what type of thing the giant was when the villain turned into it and started shooting lasers. A bunch of people in space suit like things that were apparently speaking a different strange language also showed up, and we didn't get much explanation if they were aliens, or just people of a different language.

The series also bookended with scenes that felt a bit disconnected from the rest of the series, such as having to wear costumes when entering communities, and some government thing of controlling what medication. Was the government just misinformed, or were they actually in line with the psycho villain who turns people into mushroom zombies? I did like the not negative portrayal of sex workers, although it really wasn't relevant for the rest of the show.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
There were a number of shows that started strong for me this season but then sort of limped to the finish line. This was definitely one of them, as was Tribe Nine. Poor Pawoo. I think Milo had a better shot with Bisco than she did, something she seemed to even recognize herself at the very end when she decided not to interrupt their, um, "male bonding' moment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think Milo had a better shot with Bisco than she did, something she seemed to even recognize herself at the very end when she decided not to interrupt their, um, "male bonding' moment.

My interpretation was that they were very close, that it went beyond any attraction that may have had towards female characters. I was thinking that there characters might be more consistent in that way, since I think they mostly had some girls show interest in them, but in the end Bisco and Milo were about being together forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1