• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Orbital Children Ending Explained

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casenumber00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the getting people off earth will solve the overpopulation problem. The problem overpopulation addresses is its not exactly the people causing the problem its the extra consumption of finite resources. Moving people to space still has the same problem, maybe even worse since it will take more energy and materials to move people to space and send them constant supplies.
Netero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
Moving people to space still has the same problem, maybe even worse since it will take more energy and materials to move people to space and send them constant supplies.

Why should materials be a problem if you already have the technology to capture comets? You could mine asteroids for everything you needed. The other thing you'd want would be fusion energy, presumably they had that too. So there's no real reason why, say, a moon colony of sufficient size couldn't become self sustaining.

But we see right at the end that Future Seven (or whatever you want to call it) was thinking of places much further than Earth orbit and the Moon anyway.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Not only did this not explain the ending (who was missing when they gathered? Who were they expecting? What the hell was FITsZ? Why did Nasa think she had to suicide?), it didn't even get some of the obvious details right. It wasn't a meteor, it was a comet, created by the same company that created Seven, to harvest "Comet Water" to sell. What remained of it after the ice melted were nanobits of Second Seven, I think. Could be wrong on that, but it wasn't leftover meteor for sure.

And they didn't teach Second Seven empathy to get it to change its plans. Rather, they got it to view "humans," which it saw as expendable, as being as important as "humanity," which it wanted to save. Seven's apparent solution was pretty much the same thing our own bodies do. Apoptosis, i.e., programmed cell death, is a biological mechanism that sacrifices individual cells for the survival of the whole organism.

Even if the article was a bust, I enjoyed the series, technobabble and all. Not as great as Dennou Coil, but that's a hard act for anyone to follow. I especially appreciated the part about Seven Corp. going bankrupt leaving no one to sue for all the damage Seven caused, since that's exactly what fracking companies do right now - get the gas regardless of environmental damage and then declare bankruptcy so no one responsible has to pay.

Shut up, Twelve.
Shutting up.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
Finally watched this. I enjoyed it very much.

The last couple posts sum up pretty much what I wanted to say, small errors in the article:
Meteor instead of Comet, and others did not mention that Mina had a pretty small following in Social Media before the trip.. only tens of thousands.. but her broadcasting in the middle of a disaster certainly got her the millions she wanted!

The ending was to make you think. I know there will not be a sequel, but I can imagine what it would be like, and I think it is intentional. Seven is pushing humanity to the stars, where apparently it has managed to already transcend. The ending is fairly poetic, and the series was pretty thrilling with enough good hard science for you to suspend disbelief all the way though.

This little gem surprised me, and I will be recommending it to my friends.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:04 am Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:

It was no surprise to those of us who watched Dennou Coil all those many years ago. Now that Netflix also licensed it (as "Den-noh Coil"), you should give that a look. One of my top-ten anime series ever released.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:

It was no surprise to those of us who watched Dennou Coil all those many years ago. Now that Netflix also licensed it (as "Den-noh Coil"), you should give that a look. One of my top-ten anime series ever released.

Good advice.

I never did get around to finishing Dennou Coil when it came out, but I am starting it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1