• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Reddit Anime Awards 2021 Crown Sonny Boy, Mushoku Tensei

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I’m just glad the jury chose ‘Heikousen’ by Eve x Suis for best short. It’s a great MV as with the case for all of Eve’s MVs
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Man, Mushoku Tensei moped the floor.

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna play a fiddle for Gintama.

Last edited by tintor2 on Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
zero-r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Lol.... the "Reddit Anime Awards". Who comes with all these worthless/redundant awards? Do anyone actually really cares about this BS?

Also what does the winner(s) get besides a group of random Reddit users adulation that probably most Japanese animators/directors/studios won't ever read or care about?
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad someone remembers Sonny Boy...

The lack of love for that anime from others is insane
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:41 pm Reply with quote
zero-r wrote:
Lol.... the "Reddit Anime Awards". Who comes with all these worthless/redundant awards? Do anyone actually really cares about this BS?

Also what does the winner(s) get besides a group of random Reddit users adulation that probably most Japanese animators/directors/studios won't ever read or care about?

Yeah, so what? Most complained about CR. I think this is a more transparent way of voting.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Really interesting group of nominees, let alone winners. Sad Heike Monogatari couldn't manage to win anything, but it did pretty well in rankings for the most part (even though I don't put too much stock in the full list of rankings since I'm sure some of super close calls).

Glad Megalobox: Nomad and Fruits Basket managed to win something (Drama and Cast respectively). They were two of my favorites next to shows like Heike but I wasn't sure if they'd break through in any of them.

Really happy for Pompo the Cinephile (jury movie winner) to get some recognition, and excited for the film to hit a wider release this Spring, not just during festivals (in-person or online) and cons (I saw it at ANYC). It's a really fun movie and has so much visual flair that it's hard to forget.

Also, something really surprising to me is just how well Odd Taxi did with public votes. While its definitely well-regarded, I didn't think it had the numbers to beat out shows like Attack on Titan in genre categories or even AOTY. Super impressive and really shows you just how far that series has come along through good word of mouth.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I really like the jury write-ups highlighting what's so great about the winners (and the runners-up) specific to the categories that the shows won. It makes me want to check out the anime that flew under my radar and adds to my appreciation of the ones I did watch, whether I liked those shows or not.
Theleux

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
zero-r wrote:

I mean, it says right in the article that multiple people from the industry responded to the awards, so...

SaneSavantElla wrote:
It makes me want to check out the anime that flew under my radar and adds to my appreciation of the ones I did watch, whether I liked those shows or not.

Glad to hear that, that is kind of the intention for a lot of this. So much goes under the radar each season, highlighting anything that was truly exceptional in a year so that people can experience those too is one of the biggest reasons for even holding these. As well as for commending the hard work the staff put into these shows!
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:48 pm Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:
I really like the jury write-ups highlighting what's so great about the winners (and the runners-up) specific to the categories that the shows won. It makes me want to check out the anime that flew under my radar and adds to my appreciation of the ones I did watch, whether I liked those shows or not.

For me, it's always the short films since SO many are released, I'm bound to miss a bunch (plus they don't usually get recognized in major industry awards). I know I've re-watched Mahou no Uta specifically a bunch since seeing it on the noms list.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see more awards in general take this private/public voting format.
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:32 pm Reply with quote
That community was amusingly irked at some CR snubs, and the response was totally predictable, but when I see so few titles win so many "public" awards while the industry "jury" award winners are more diverse and eclectic, it makes me think...yeah, kinda hard to vote for something you haven't seen.

On the other hand, it's sort of useless when critics and the vox populi agree because then we are left wondering what even is the point of having critics and industry insiders giving their opinion?

But I think that's always the juggling act of public vs professional consensus. Critics have to force feed themselves all sorts of material and not get burnt out or lose sight of what's really good about this work or that...but popular consensus and approval is rightfully the reality of a work's success as a product rather than 'merely' art.

I deeply appreciate it when critics and industry experts expose me to stuff I otherwise wouldn't know to watch...but equally, when they 'get it wrong' it's good to look at something more encapsulating like a MAL ranking and figure, well, this might not be a great work, but very very entertaining. I do believe to top MAL though, a work does have to show both technical greatness and be very, very entertaining.

So thanks for writing about this, Kim. I skim that sub for episode discussion but never would have known its awards had professional involvement. Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The way this "awards" voting turned out compared to CRAA interests me as I think it represents a truer window on show "goodness" basically for the diversity of it's findings. I don't know why some people don't find formats where the choices are inherently limited by a "select" group for another group to vote on suspect. Especially when the voting system guarantees that other group's votes have no possibility of impacting the outcome. Here it seems both "experts" and the fans have input which becomes interesting in how they compare.

To those who have wondered who or what such "awards" are for, I believe it is for all concerned. It is for creators to critique each other's work and encourage excellence in creation in it's many forms. It is for fans to see what creators think is excellent as well as express their appreciation of the same and when all creative disciplines come together to make a whole work. To the extent creators are actually involved in the process and fans are free to express their views there is merit in this comparative exercise and can itself be a product all are interested in.

Are such awards "needed"? Only to try to lessen the inherent market pressure to produce works that "sell" as "guaranteed successes" and to foster better and more diversely creative works. Discerning people do like those latter forms of art and if the creators and their sponsors are made to understand how much, the results will be more pleasurable for all parties (as Yugiri observed in ZLS).
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Non Non Biyori Nonstop got some love. As the 3rd season of a show that last aired 2015 i knew most people wouldn't really pay attention to it. It's a nice watch for slice of life fans though
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I don't know why some people don't find formats where the choices are inherently limited by a "select" group for another group to vote on suspect. Especially when the voting system guarantees that other group's votes have no possibility of impacting the outcome. Here it seems both "experts" and the fans have input which becomes interesting in how they compare.

The problem with any situation that rests on a select group of jurors is it just becomes a vehicle for them to push their own personal tastes and picks, rather than an actual democratic process of determining what the community at large actually liked and celebrated. And the question that it always comes down to what exactly makes someone qualified to be a juror in these kinds of things and how they get to be one.

Despite the fact none of the jury nominated Mushoku Tensei, it still won quite a few categories here. Meanwhile with the Crunchyroll Awards it was completely shut out because of the way they handle the jury and audience split. So the way the voting was set up here with the jury and public split help better reflect the actual anime community.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:31 am Reply with quote
follow8nf the latest posts unlike the Cr awards, there is less comercial bias in this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1