• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Series Gets 2 New Live-Action Movies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:15 am Reply with quote
kamina170 wrote:
Wonder how they will deal with the English dub with Vic Mignogna being blacklisted?

That is a damn good question. Thankfully I never watch live-action Asian cinema in the dub unless it's mst3k'd, so I don't really care. Still nice to see Aaron Dismuke return to voice Alphonse again, thanks to their characters being cast as older.

Honestly, if any anime series needed the Netflix adaptation it was this. It has the most Goddamned European setting out of all the choices. Why the hell would anyone wanna adapt the cartoony world of One Piece? It was built for animation. And half the time it's all water. Anyone remember Waterworld? Exactly.
#rajsaha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:53 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
27 volumes = 6 and half hours of footage. Bravo. Kenshin doing it right was a fluke. Lone Wolf & Cub 1-4 are also pretty respectable. (This 6 part series ventured off into original territory by the end.) Hollywood will get better at this faster than Japan.

Hollywood is trash.
TheBeastAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:06 am Reply with quote
So based on the trailer, it looks like they're just going to burn through the rest of the manga minus most of the supporting cast and major ones like Greed? I am morbidly curious to see how this is going to work.
While a lot of people love Brotherhood/the original manga, I will always stand by the 2003 anime as a go to example of how people can creatively remix a pre-existing story and make it work on its own. I don't know why this live action adaptation isn't doing a similar thing and doing it's own take on the material? As it stands what we'll get will basically be a cliff notes version of the manga.

And as for the casting: I know this is a live action made by and primarily for the Japanese, but scar's casting was always going to be a oof!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:20 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised, mostly because the LA FMA wasn't that great. I would have honestly preferred the rest of Bleach to be adapted, but I gather the actors have aged out of their roles.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:01 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Just the other day I was thinking if they were going to continue with this project, honestly unlike other adaptations like Cowboy Bebop or the upcoming One Piece show Fullmetal would work as a live-action series made in the west.
People were saying for years how CB would be an ideal Anime to adapt into live action in the West, no one says that now. So maybe best to keep expectations on that, if it ever happens, in check.

If it does get dubbed, it will be a hassle either way. Because whether or not Vic Mignogna does reprise the role of Ed, it will still put him in the spotlight and bring up the whole controversy back up again.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:13 am Reply with quote
The first one was so bad I'm not going to watch these probably. For FMA a longer series is needed, there is too much to cover for just a few movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:20 am Reply with quote
GNPixie wrote:
MFrontier wrote:
What's next? Bleach live-action coming back and adapting the Soul Society arc?

I know you're probably joking but I would absolutely love this.

I actually really dug the Bleach movie, more so than I was expecting given how everybody talked about it.

Same here, I enjoyed it more than the vast majority of live-action anime adaptations. Also the ending must be pretty depressing for live-action-only viewers.

Much of a second film could probably be taken up with introducing some elements largely absent from the first film (e.g. cast members whose roles were minimised), combined with training from the end of the first arc, leaving the bulk of Soul Society for a third film in a trilogy. To be honest I’m not sure Soul Society mightn’t benefit from being cut down significantly, but that’s just me.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, that looked horrible.

Let's stick to less fantastical stuff, like Kenshin and Slam Dunk, and slice of life, dramas.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
It is pretty cool that they got OG!Ed and Al (Romi Park and Rie Kugimiya) to narrate the movie promotion
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Gross. The first film was pretty awful. Not only did all the cast members just look like cosplayers, but it suffered from the same issues other adaptations have.

Instead of taking liberties and adapting the story into a more cohesive film narrative like Kenshin did, it tries to just replicate the plots from the show and becomes essentially the abridged version of all those story beats with mediocre execution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2