• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Tests New Payment Model for Account Sharing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Netflix has one more price increase left in me, before I throw in the towel. I won’t pay 20.00 for a streaming service I don’t use often. I love their live action originals and several of their anime, but I also have Crunchyroll, Hulu and HBO Max so the higher priced service will be the first to go.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Nothing makes customers flock to your service in the current over-competitive streaming market as telling them they now have to pay more for using it the way they always have been. I've been "leeching" from a family member's account for years, if Netflix thinks forcing my relative to kick me off their account is gonna make me want to hire their service they couldn't be more wrong. Punishing users to try to squeeze an extra dime out of them is not the thing that's gonna make me want to give your company more money
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
If you're telling me you're hiking up the price again after you did it a month or so ago with the bullshit excuse of "it's so you can be safer streaming from another household", then I seriouly hope this model fails spectacularly and Netflix loses some subscribers in the process.

For every Arcane, Dark, Squid Game, Mindhunter and Kingdom show, we get three Cowboy Bebops, seven Jupiter's Legacies, four Warrior Nuns, ten slideshow anime adaptations, and some dumb run-of-the-mill thriller miniseries, so their shitty offering doesn't justify two price hikes in less than two months. And before some dumb wiseass comes here asking people tHeN wHy dOnT yOu jUsT cAnceL YoUr AcCoUnT, it's because I've also been "leeching" from a shared account a family member pays for in my house, so I don't think stop using my account would hurt them in any way whatsoever, not that I've been using it since last time I saw Cowboy Bebop.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:29 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people pay for Netflix BECAUSE they can share it with their family or friends. If Netflix is going to raise their price and then cracking down on that, they're charging more money for less service. And then they wonder why the other streamers have been eating their lunch lately.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I see Netflix increasing prices

Don’t see Netflix increasing content quality

Also don’t see Netflix fixing their horribly outdated interface

Nobody cares about [expensive] ad-free content. The market is clearly skewed toward ad-funded, free/cheap content, re: Hulu, Peacock, Tubi, YouTube, etcetera. Get up during an ad — Take a piss, grab a snack, check on dinner — Sit back down.

Last edited by Tenbyakugon on Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
They try this in the US I'll be canceling the account. You just raised prices as is, and not even 6 months later you're announcing this? No thanks. You already limit how many screens can be in use based on the plan you have. So even if people share accounts they're still limited by that and how many can use the service at once. Why does it matter who/where those 4 streaming devices are if I am paying for 4? Whether it's in my house or another is irrelevant, I am still paying for those 4 devices, or 2, at once. Especially when all of your "original" content is not top quality, and other non-original content keep getting phased out more and more for this original content that is more miss than hit.

So you can take this additional increase Netflix, turn that sumbitch sideways, and stick it straight up, your candy ass.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Rate increases, axing the free trials and trying to crack down account sharing is all proof of a business aware it's reaching subscriber saturation. This is why they're making a big push into markets that are monetarily not worth much, but have large populations. I know some of the poorer Asian markets have substantially lower rates than the west and they offer material for free in other countries. Once those areas reach a certain subscriber number, you'll probably see Netflix do the boiling frog thing to them, too. All in an effort to constantly grow.

Their competitors have all or are in the process of developing ad-supported tiers (which helps mitigate subscriber stagnation). I wonder if that's something they're looking into or if they now view that as a unique selling point to be ad-free with their basic price.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:35 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I haven’t canceled my account with this nonsense is because my account is a complimentary service from my cell phone carrier. Without that, it becomes a massive detriment except for certain months.
shadowypoet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:37 pm Reply with quote
If they start enforcing the one household rule, my account gets cancelled immediately. The only reason I still have an account is so my niece and her daughter can watch it at their place. Netflix does not have enough shows I actually want to watch to justify having an account on my own.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
They try this in the US I'll be canceling the account. You just raised prices as is, and not even 6 months later you're announcing this? No thanks. You already limit how many screens can be in use based on the plan you have. So even if people share accounts they're still limited by that and how many can use the service at once. Why does it matter who/where those 4 streaming devices are if I am paying for 4? Whether it's in my house or another is irrelevant, I am still paying for those 4 devices, or 2, at once. Especially when all of your "original" content is not top quality, and other non-original content keep getting phased out more and more for this original content that is more miss than hit.

Pretty much this. I'm sharing my account with family that practically live down the road from me and they are sharing one of their streaming services. We all can't be on at the same time. And you know Netflix is going to then turn around in 2 years and raise prices on the additional users who are sharing. This is nothing but a greed move and their programing hasn't been good lately.

My ISP has raised prices, Amazon Prime has raised prices on me, some of my software providers have raised subscription prices, and Netflix recently did it. At some point I'm going to cut some service off and I'm not getting free shipping from Netflix and they aren't providing my internet access, so guess who's going to get the axe.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I feel like if Streaming Services keep getting more and more greedy, Cable might actually make a comeback. Owning these Streaming Services is already almost the same amount as Cable if you combine the prices for all of them. And then if they start charging you extra for sharing the account, it will just feel easier just to get Cable so that way you only have a pay for 1 service instead of like 20.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:16 am Reply with quote
I swear if it wasn't for the fact my 5 year old watches Barbie Dream House 24/7 I would just cancel Netflix and they are about one price raise away from me deciding the tantrum is better.

These prices raises is just going to drive people right back into pirating content like in the old days.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:41 am Reply with quote
This is a dumb idea. It's like you buy a large burger for one and share it with a friend but the restaurant demands the other guy has to pay extra for "sharing" it.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:24 am Reply with quote
Well, you know what they say!

“If it ain’t broke, manufacture a problem for profit.”
matt78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
This is a dumb idea. It's like you buy a large burger for one and share it with a friend but the restaurant demands the other guy has to pay extra for "sharing" it.

There are actually restaurants that do this. I've been to a few where if you buy a meal to share they will charge you for the second plate. I've been to others that don't allow sharing at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2