• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crossbone Gundam X-11 Manga Ends on June 24 (Updated)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:02 am Reply with quote
Crossbone Gundam has had half a dozen manga series at this point but it still can't get an anime version.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:03 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Crossbone Gundam has had half a dozen manga series at this point but it still can't get an anime version.

Mainly the same reason why we won't get anymore thunderbolt. It utterly destroys the canon and Bandai has stated anything animated is considered canon. Things like this, Thunderbolt at this point and 0083 rebellion are I forgot the actual term but are like "What ifs" of the UC.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:29 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Mainly the same reason why we won't get anymore thunderbolt. It utterly destroys the canon and Bandai has stated anything animated is considered canon. Things like this, Thunderbolt at this point and 0083 rebellion are I forgot the actual term but are like "What ifs" of the UC.

Nonsense. How can it "destroy the canon" when the original manga was written by Yoshiyuki Tomino himself as an official sequel to Gundam F91 that has nothing else in the time period to contradict?
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:54 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:

Thunderbolt was always its own thing. The reason why we didn't get more animated Thunderbolt after Bandit Flower was because it had largely caught up to the manga at that point iirc. I do think they could do more if they wanted. If anything, they could be waiting until it's done and they'll just do it in one big swoop.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:08 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
Zeino wrote:

This is incorrect on every possible level. You have absolutely no evidence to support this baseless conjecture. Additionally, not only does what you said have no basis in reality, but on a meta level, it is incorrect. There is nothing in Thunderbolt that contradicts the actual canon of the UC. You can complain about the mechs being too advanced (or something) but Gundam has never been consistent with that anyway. Why does Thunderbolt suddenly ruin everything?

If you are referring to the author's tweet, then you are mistaken. The author of Thunderbolt stated he didn't feel constrained by the timeline...that is a WEALTH of difference from disregarding all the events of the One Year War and Zeta...especially when, again, nothing has happened in the story that makes it unable to fit into the UC. There is a lot about the 7 years between the OYW and Zeta that we do not know. This bizarre theory that someone on reddit probably started due to a mistranslated/misinterpreted tweet by Thunderbolt's author needs to cease.

Furthermore, I could easily posit a baseless (but far more plausible) theory that Sunrise is slowly expanding the UC timeline post UC 100 with works like Hathaway, potentially leading to filling in the gaps to F91 and then maybe doing Crossbone. But we shall see and I do not pretend that what I am saying is right or even likely. It comes down to money. Will the model kits in Crossbone sell? If the answer is yes, then we are far more likely to see an anime. If not...too bad. Notice how none of these theories have anything to do with Thunderbolt (also now that the manga is wrapping up, we might see more of it animated in the future).
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
One gundam does not care about cannon. Two crossbone post the first manga is a mess of nutty and just bad ideals that would be hard to sell on a good day.
ZakuConvoy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I feel like AGE was pretty close to a Crossbones adaptation. Just look at the AGE-2 Dark Hound and tell me that doesn't look like the Crossbones. It's not 1:1, but there's a lot of overlap.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:24 pm Reply with quote
dark hound sure but AGE is not crossbone not by a LONG shot
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
You know, if Gundam fans ask for a Crossbone Gundam manga adaptation, what they're asking for is actually a further development of its story and ideas, with expanded plotlines and redone designs, and not really a straight-up adaptation.

Something like what happened between the Gundam Unicorn anime and its original novels.

As fun as the Crossbone series is, it really had a lot of bonkers ideas.
Oby

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:03 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
Amiantos wrote:
Zeino wrote:

You have absolutely no evidence to support this baseless conjecture.

First (I'll get this outta the way), I disagree with Amiantos' comment about Ban-rise's "reluctance" in adapting Crossbone is due to it "breaking canon" (whatever the hell that means). That's coz Ban-rise was/is never afraid of making parallel UC entries that can contradict each other (eg. MSG TV & Trilogy, Zeta TV & Trilogy, Origin & Thunderbolt).

Second, a strong indication of Thunderbolt being an alternate UC that stands on its own is the model kits. As you know, all mainline UC kits are released under the HG Universal Century (HGUC) label (heck, they even acknowledged Twilight Axis mechs as HGUC):

Meanwhile, Thunderbolt & Origin have their own distinct labels of HG kits. Namely HG Gundam Thunderbolt (HGGT) & HG Gundam The Origin (HGGTO):

So yeah, as you can see above. Bandai made sure that the customers (which some might not even watched the anime) can differentiate between Origin/Thunderbolt and the rest of the mainline UC. That's a really strong indication that both Origin & Thunderbolt timeline stand on their own more than other parallel UCs. You can rarely get more official than the HG kits line when it comes to confirming the status of each show's universe.

But here's the real question though: So what if Thunderbolt & Origin are alternate UC? Does it really affect your enjoyment of said shows if they're "canon" or not?

Being an alternate UC is not a bad thing. Heck, if Thunderbolt & Origin are any indication, being an alternate UC is actually a good thing, an intriguing thing and an exciting thing. We don't need to fit a square block into a round hole and ruin both the block & the hole. Let the square block be its own thing and no damage will be done and everything will be fine & dandy.
Nate148

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:13 am Reply with quote
god how many times must the words there is no canon be said.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:24 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
You know, if Gundam fans ask for a Crossbone Gundam manga adaptation, what they're asking for is actually a further development of its story and ideas, with expanded plotlines and redone designs, and not really a straight-up adaptation.

Something like what happened between the Gundam Unicorn anime and its original novels.

As fun as the Crossbone series is, it really had a lot of bonkers ideas.

Yeah it goes deep into side story levels of craziness, especially with the mechanics, Ghost itself has mechanics that are crazier and headscratching than even the Missing Link manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1