• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam: The Witch From Mercury Anime Reveals Staff, Story, Characters, Mecha

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:01 am Reply with quote
Ichiro Okouchi also did scripts on Turn A Gundam and series composition on the also Yoshiyuki Tomino directed Overman King Gainer.

I'd sort of written him off after Guilty Crown and Valvrave, but Devilman Crybaby, Princess Principal, and Lupin the Third Part 5 were all great. I hope we're getting his A material here.

Aside from that it looks, uhhh, almost like Gundam Three Houses or something. I'll hope for the best.
saganatsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Guel Jeturk, a second-year student in the piloting department, who transferred to the school from Mercury. Suletta is timid and somewhat lacks communication skills. She is the pilot of the Gundam Aerial developed on Mercury."

This is obviously a copy of Suletta's description, but it's for Guel
GNPixie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hiroshi Kobayashi

On one hand, Dragon Pilot.
On one hand, Kiznaiver.

Please be more like Dragon Pilot and less Kiznaiver.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:23 am Reply with quote
I wonder if there's meaning behind her last name being Mercury (like orphans on Mercury without known last names are given that by default) or if they just really wanted to drive the fact that she's from Mercury home to anyone not paying enough attention?

That Dilanza looks like it's from SD Gundam Laughing

Well, I'll hope for the best, but if it has a split season, then at least the first half should be good Laughing
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:27 am Reply with quote
Oh snap! Okouchi getting a full time gig in Gundam now rather than a few episodes. Same for Kobayashi. With all due respect... Miorine looks nice. Pharact looks nice as well.

Inb4 Vaisaga returns to another Mercury article to intentionally (due to ignorance or trolling) point out their issue about "1st Gundam in 7 years" because they think the spinoff Build series is part of the main Gundam series when it has been explained by Sunrise and the article from the start.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:35 am Reply with quote
Well, I wasn't too convinced with the character designs to be honest but you totally got me with Takashi Ohmama doing the music. His soundtrack for dances with dragons was out of this world (and, given how totally ignored both the anime and the music were I totally thought that he was never going to be given a big time project like this).
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:55 am Reply with quote
The school setting with real mechs idea was something I expected from Star Driver way back then. It feels weird to see it realized now.

Judging from the character descriptions, I don't think the series will have deep characterization. But with Okouchi handling it, I expect we'll at least get a fun ride.

Very intrigued by the mech designs. You can see the designers went all out. I wonder how they'll handle the world design.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:56 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Was gonna say, hopefully it's just the line art and the real thing won't be so derpy.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:22 am Reply with quote
Anime's equivalent to Star Trek in my opinion.
Oby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:29 am Reply with quote
Wait, so Peil Technologies is the company (among the Big 3) that produces Gundams? So is Suletta also backed by Peil (like Elan) or has connection with Peil? The fact that Elan is already mentioned having some interest to Suletta is interesting.

meiam wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Was gonna say, hopefully it's just the line art and the real thing won't be so derpy.

Dilanza is just a purple Gundam Gusion/Rodi Frame with big horn:

No big deal Wink
chronium

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
With the title of The Witch From Mercury this is not the plot description I was expecting. I was expecting something more serious like Iron-Blooded Orphans then a school drama plot.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:13 am Reply with quote
MS design isn't too bad overall, most MS have a bit of IBO inspiration to them, Suletta is kind of cute as well, but doesn't this plot remind me a tad bit of École du Ciel with far less of the grit that had.
methedemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:24 am Reply with quote
This looks horribly uninteresting.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:47 am Reply with quote
The premise is certainly... different. But the mecha design is decent enough, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do with a girl main protagonist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:48 am Reply with quote
So far, the show looks pretty good Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4