• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bukimi Miki's Shy Manga Gets TV Anime at 8-Bit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:46 am Reply with quote
Bandai Namco must have been completely satisfied with how popular Iruma-kun was that they must've sought more Akita Shoten manga. I'm glad they chose this one and with 8-bit too? I can't wait till it airs.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Bandai Namco must have been completely satisfied with how popular Iruma-kun was that they must've sought more Akita Shoten manga.

From what I remember this is absolutely not like Iruma-kun, though. Not even the same target audience... It has cute girls so I'm sure it's going to do well, though.

(Still, I have to question the wisdom of pushing a story that heavily features exaggerated national stereotypes, in today's general... uh... state of affairs.)

Last edited by SHD on Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
Wow, more WSC manga getting anime. You love to see it.

Obviously, people are gonna see what SHY is all about and immediately compare it to MHA, but it's such a different superhero series than that. Way different in tone.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:36 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:
Bandai Namco must have been completely satisfied with how popular Iruma-kun was that they must've sought more Akita Shoten manga.

From what I remember this is absolutely not like Iruma-kun, though. Not even the same target audience...

They're both in the same magazine. Yes two things that are wildly different in tone, storytelling, and audience can coexist in the same magazine. Kubo-san runs in the same magazine as Oshi no Ko for example.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:46 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
SHD wrote:
DamianSalazar wrote:

From what I remember this is absolutely not like Iruma-kun, though. Not even the same target audience...

They're both in the same magazine. Yes two things that are wildly different in tone, storytelling, and audience can coexist in the same magazine. Kubo-san runs in the same magazine as Oshi no Ko for example.

Oh wow, really? You don't say. I would've never thought this was even possible. I never read any manga magazines. Yes, I'm being sarcastic right now.

Anyway, I was trying to point out that this manga is completely unlike Iruma-kun, and that "Iruma-kun is doing well, let's adapt Shy!" is not exactly a natural flow of logic.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:55 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Oh wow, really? You don't say. I would've never thought this was even possible. I never read any manga magazines. Yes, I'm being sarcastic right now.

Anyway, I was trying to point out that this manga is completely unlike Iruma-kun, and that "Iruma-kun is doing well, let's adapt Shy!" is not exactly a natural flow of logic.

I can tell. What went on in my mind was the idea that a producer associated with Bandai Namco's production of Iruma-kun would go to Weekly Shonen Champion's offices and asked their editors-in chief which of their ongoing series is popular, despite it not having an anime, and that would lead them to Shy and the rest is history.

Edit: I just took a look into the Iruma-kun anime entry on the encyclopedia, and it seems I was way off on this one. Bandai Namco Pictures may be credited for animation production, but their parent company Bandai Namco isn't credited for production.

So my hypothesis is now BS.
Kenfra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Is this Yuri?
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
The manga has lots of yuri potential from early on, and later on gets an explicit lesbian relationship, IIRC. It's overall pretty gay.

And yeah, the national stereotype heroes are a bit iffy. At least they do give the characters more depth than that.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I am bit buffed that author given all foreign characters gibberish names that only vaguely sound like something from that country. Is it so hard to name your foreing charas appropriately nowerdays?
XSp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Not having read the manga, I take it the US hero is a male, obnoxious, muscular, athletic and ignorant type then?
3ngag3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:12 pm Reply with quote
To put it a certain way

Shy is the Sailor Moon to My Hero Academia's DBZ

If that makes any sense
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:47 am Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
To put it a certain way

Shy is the Sailor Moon to My Hero Academia's DBZ

If that makes any sense

At first I was a bit stumped by that comparison, but now I understand it. MHA and Dragon Ball feature a protagonist starting from the bottom to become the best hero, whereas Shy and Sailor Moon feature a female protagonist who has already made it regardless of training.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:57 am Reply with quote
@DamainSalazar

I don't think that's what 3ngag3 meant (maybe)
Shy is a superhero manga but borrows a lot of tropes from magical girl genre. Think like the show: Miraculous ladybug.

@XSp
The american hero is more of a Capt America/All might type.
XSp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:44 am Reply with quote
Hal14 wrote:

@XSp
The american hero is more of a Capt America/All might type.

Well, that's not too bad then... xD
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
This looks cute and fun! And we don't get a lot of Superhero anime's with female leads.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1