• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Do It Yourself Worth Watching?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:11 am Reply with quote
I can't believe you restrained yourselves from signing off with the obvious pun—"Be well, do good work, and love Yua Serufu!"

But I do have to stick up for the character I think is the true "secret sauce" of the show, the one no one ever notices (and goes entirely unmentioned in this article!): Hikage Takumi is the ultimate and most moving example of how DIY can improve your life.

Unlike the other girls, we never get the slightest glimpse of Takumin's home life, but what we don't see speaks volumes: she gets fantastic grades but never seems to take any pride in her achievements. She naturally lets herself fade into the background and initially gets nervous when Serufu starts treating her like a real person. In episode 2 she looks up from her book only to gaze admiringly at her peers walking to school talking about their friendships. Most heartbreakingly, her reaction to the praise she receives after designing the club's signboard (and to Shii's delighted response to her vase hanger in episode 5) shows us that she has simply never been praised for much of anything before. In short, Takumi clearly comes from a home where she is isolated, unacknowledged, and valued only insofar as she does nothing to trouble others, and where her personal interests are of no consequence. Although a fundamentally goodhearted person, she has never been given any cause for self-esteem or reason to take pride in her own work.

And that's exactly what DIY does for her! It gives her friends who recognize her value and encourage her to explore her unique talents, it lets her express herself in a way that is comfortable for her and gives her a deep sense of accomplishment, and it provides a gateway out of admiration for "girls with friends" into supportive, healthy friendships of her own. We'll probably never see anything more of Takumin's private life—and certainly, being the only non-tomboy of the group (note that I do love my tomboys!), she'll never be as popular among anime viewers as her peers—which unfortunately leaves me free to imagine the most horrible home possible, but what the show has so gently and naturally insinuated about her internal journey out of solitude into the salvific light of Yua Serufu represents the most touchingly affirmative statement of this lovely little show's thesis.
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:12 am Reply with quote
I realize that it would hide the cute girls, but decades in science labs makes them not using appropriate safety equipment terrifying. You will put your eye out!

Last edited by sadoldguy on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
I can't believe you restrained yourselves from signing off with the obvious pun—"Be well, do good work, and love Yua Serufu!"

But I do have to stick up for the character I think is the true "secret sauce" of the show, the one no one ever notices (and goes entirely unmentioned in this article!): Hikage Takumi is the ultimate and most moving example of how DIY can improve your life.

Unlike the other girls, we never get the slightest glimpse of Takumin's home life, but what we don't see speaks volumes: she gets fantastic grades but never seems to take any pride in her achievements. She naturally lets herself fade into the background and initially gets nervous when Serufu starts treating her like a real person. In episode 2 she looks up from her book only to gaze admiringly at her peers walking to school talking about their friendships. Most heartbreakingly, her reaction to the praise she receives after designing the club's signboard (and to Shii's delighted response to her vase hanger in episode 5) shows us that she has simply never been praised for much of anything before. In short, Takumi clearly comes from a home where she is isolated, unacknowledged, and valued only insofar as she does nothing to trouble others, and where her personal interests are of no consequence. Although a fundamentally goodhearted person, she has never been given any cause for self-esteem or reason to take pride in her own work.

And that's exactly what DIY does for her! It gives her friends who recognize her value and encourage her to explore her unique talents, it lets her express herself in a way that is comfortable for her and gives her a deep sense of accomplishment, and it provides a gateway out of admiration for "girls with friends" into supportive, healthy friendships of her own. We'll probably never see anything more of Takumin's private life—and certainly, being the only non-tomboy of the group (note that I do love my tomboys!), she'll never be as popular among anime viewers as her peers—which unfortunately leaves me free to imagine the most horrible home possible, but what the show has so gently and naturally insinuated about her internal journey out of solitude into the salvific light of Yua Serufu represents the most touchingly affirmative statement of this lovely little show's thesis.

Takumi's my favorite too. Love your analysis.

I only started watching this show because I was getting more and more frustrated with Bibliophile Princess. But I'm glad I did, as it's pretty cute and fun...though would it seriously kill the girls to put on goggles and gloves?! Safety equipment exists for a reason, people!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:52 am Reply with quote
Of course it is worth to watch. It is a shame that it is being overshadowed by all the hit anime airing right know. I think DiY would be the best anime I have watched this year.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
There is something that kinda pisses me off...

Purin has all the right to be mad at Serufu for failing her entrance exam and the show never acknowledges it.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It's a fun show and I like that they explore something that hasn't really been done in any anime. Sadly I wish they would take that boldness in topic and apply it to character, almost everyone just play to their stereotype with very few attempt to break the mold. The tsundere, the klutz, not just one but two foreign rich girl and so on. This is where the show really fail, especially when compared to laid back camp where characters feel much more like real human rather than stock archetype.

I also wasn't crazy about the big drama of the missing materials, why store your material right next to the trash? Best case scenario, you have to move them somewhere else once a week. At the very least just put a note on it saying not to dispose of it... I think if they wanted to create some drama it would have been better to center around them not getting permission to build the tree house.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
*please* wear breathing protection when drilling into glass. Under no circumstances whatsoever drill into glass while not wearing breathing protection.

(Gujjobanai!)
OnaraKao21

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:46 pm Reply with quote
All the tools (powered and non-powered) featured in the show are from Takagi Co. Ltd, which is based in Sanjo, Niigata Prefecture. The show itself is set in Sanjo. Both Takagi Co. Ltd, and the city government of Sanjo are official partners of Do It Yourself!!. A lot of local businesses in Sanjo have also been featured on the show.
https://www.takagi-plc.co.jp/do_it_yourself

yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Just happened to buy a Ryobi powered screwdriver and wondered why they didn't take advantage of the chance for product placements. Now I see why.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:16 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
*please* wear breathing protection when drilling into glass. Under no circumstances whatsoever drill into glass while not wearing breathing protection.

(Gujjobanai!)

That's thought to be what killed Spinoza --- who made his living grinding lenses when he wasn't scandalizing Holland with his writing on religion.

I do wish they'd put more emphasis on working safely --- especially eye protection.
Exodus007

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:35 am Reply with quote
The show is great and I know it frames Purin as a love interest but I believe she just really cares for her friend and her Tsundere side makes everything seem less platonic than it is. No one is romantically interested in one another. It's just a cool vibe show with no BS.

Just like many other anime nowadays people forget platonic relationships exist and can be just a close or strong as non.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1