• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Prosecution Pushes for 2.5-Year Sentence, 172.5 Million Yen Fine for Game Director Yuji Naka

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Defense asks for reduced fine, suspended sentence

Don't reduce anything. The guy intentionally did the inside trading first for his own personal gain then later sued Square when he had the inside trading wrongdoings in his closet. The sheer audacity of Naka. It should be increased.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Don't reduce anything. [...] The sheer audacity of Naka. It should be increased.

Exactly so!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
The sentencing sounds a bit harsh, how about up to a year in jail, it's not like he's a danger to others.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Getting him to jail ain't even that a necessity and the court can easily replace it with a house arrest or suspended sentence. Even the amount of penalty asked by the prosecution, considering how much actual profits he made from the purchase of shares (really, he only made around 150k USD from this financial adventure), is quite enough to slap him on the wrist.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Kind've fascinating how much more seriously this offense seems to be taken by the Japanese courts than the various cases we've seen of mangaka/translators/etc involved with pedophilic images/video.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Really surreal moment for me as a Sonic fan.
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:27 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The sentencing sounds a bit harsh

Yeah but this is the Japanese Judicial System... it's notorious for being rather heavy handed, for good and ill.
NeverConvex wrote:
Kind've fascinating how much more seriously this offense seems to be taken by the Japanese courts than the various cases we've seen of mangaka/translators/etc involved with pedophilic images/video.

Honestly that likely has alot to do with the fact that it's banking system is extremely fragile, so white collar crime tends to not be over looked. Their is also the fact that the prostitution tends to be really, really cauious... they don't move to trial unless they can expect an conviction from the evidence.
MFrontier wrote:
Really surreal moment for me as a Sonic fan.

I am sorry to here that. For me, Yuji Naka is a creator that I just feel has moved on for me.... I don't really care what happens to the man at this point. Sonic is in better hands for the most part.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:16 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The sentencing sounds a bit harsh, how about up to a year in jail, it's not like he's a danger to others.

Martha Stewart only got 5 months for insider trading. And she's still doing it going off some of the news I've read. Usually celebrities get off pretty lenient. Glad to see them being held accountable for a change.

Yuji Naka being heralded as some grand anti-corporation, pro-union icon right before being busted for insider trade is still one of the funniest things to me. Dude tried to deflect so hard when he knew he got busted and tried to rally people against Square-Enix and saying they didn't care about their fans rather than accept responsibility for his bad game and decisions.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:23 am Reply with quote
Amazed it's not a suspended sentence since seems like every non-murder thing in Japan is a suspended sentence.

"Headline: You go to jail for 99 years!............. Backpage: suspended for 2 years." Laughing
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, this is the capstone to a career filled with stories about how much of an asshole Naka is. He's always been a greedy, selfish prick who profited off the backs of workers and was a major part of SEGA's dysfunction during the 90s and 00s. And to rub salt and lemon juice in it, he did this for a game that was dead by the time he was sentenced. What an ignoble end
alabamabeachmouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
To be honest, this is the capstone to a career filled with stories about how much of an asshole Naka is. He's always been a greedy, selfish prick who profited off the backs of workers and was a major part of SEGA's dysfunction during the 90s and 00s. And to rub salt and lemon juice in it, he did this for a game that was dead by the time he was sentenced. What an ignoble end

I always heard about the weird hatred/rivalry between the US and JP branches of Sega, especially in regards to the Sega Saturn failing in the west. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1