• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation App Shuts Down on April 2 as Its Accounts Merge With Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:08 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Also, this whole thing just proves again that torrenting is the superior customer experience.
If it is not available for streaming, then sure. But honestly, I would rather stream a show, or own it on Blu-ray if I plan on rewatching it, than have to go through the hassle of downloading it and then converting it to be compatible with my TV. And even then I might get visual glitches or subpar video quality.

...I didn't say this in here, did I? I'm sure I did elsewhere, because it sounds like something I'd say, but I know it wasn't in here. You had me in a bit of an existential crisis for a moment. Laughing
No, sorry, that was my fault. I had a quote within a quote, and I must have done something when I was editing it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
This is why I collect discs. Physical media is still king.

And long may it reign. I know its death has been prophesied for many years now, but I fear at some point that prophecy will come true.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

And long may it reign. I know its death has been prophesied for many years now, but I fear at some point that prophecy will come true.

I work a site with a Gen Z (or something), says he might own a single disc and only an older X-Box that could play it... but he also pirates everything, so....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:25 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Companies have been setting things up for it bit-by-bit. Netflix doesn't do physical releases of its stuff, and what little has seen a physical release was through someone else. Microsoft and Sony both came into this console generation with their own takes on systems without disc drives. Movie companies will advertise a digital release of a movie with "get it before blu-ray" even if it is only by a couple weeks. Unfortunately, all of this telegraphing hasn't prompted any meaningful changes in legal customer protections. Companies still insist that you're only buying a "license" to use a product when you click 'buy' and so they can take it away later when it isn't convenient to offer it anymore.

Maybe the powers-that-be deluded into thinking that customers have other options, or that it was ok because something removed for sale could still be downloaded by a prior purchaser, but Sony's actions recently have made it incredibly apparent that any purchase that requires access to a service is not truly selling what it claims.
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:35 am Reply with quote
Imagine those who paid (X amount of money) to get their favorite anime.
And now it's gone.
Something like "You own nothing and still be happy"

Anyway, this is one of the reason I prefer getting the disc, over any streaming companies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I only paid for a few months of Funimation, and that was many years ago. So I can't say that this bothers me personally. But, I do feel for the people who preferred Funimation to CR.
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Outlaw Star (sub/dub)
The show is on CR, it's the dub that is absent.

I did a search for every one.
Doesn't show up in a search. If it was there, might not be anymore.
TheFanCon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:06 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
The end of an era. Funimation may be gone soon, but the brand's legacy of bringing Dragon Ball Z to the States and saving One Piece from becoming a flop will forever cement it into anime history. And for that, I will forever be grateful. And for good measure, its acquisition by Sony - for some reason - turned me into fan of their consumer electronics.

Yes, their legacy of totally misrepresenting DBZ with not only their borderline adaptation dub, but also their atrocious home video releases down the line. Can't imagine any reason not to be grateful for that (especially when there were much better options than them at the time they were founded).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:57 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I only paid for a few months of Funimation, and that was many years ago. So I can't say that this bothers me personally. But, I do feel for the people who preferred Funimation to CR.
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Outlaw Star (sub/dub)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G61X9E3Q6/outlaw-star
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:52 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Outlaw Star (sub/dub)

https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G61X9E3Q6/outlaw-star

This is not available in the United States. The page states that it is licensed from Anime Limited, so I guess it's available in the UK.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:14 am Reply with quote
blahmoomoo wrote:
This is not available in the United States. The page states that it is licensed from Anime Limited, so I guess it's available in the UK.
I hadn't seen that (you have to click more info to see it), I just saw that it was streaming and assumed it was put on there after the CR buyout.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
There is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to dubs on Crunchy, where very often secondary subs for translations of on-screen Japanese text are missing that causes the viewer to miss out on significant context.

InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
I really hate this whole thing. Crunchyroll and Funimation were fine apart.
I hate monopolies and capitalism.

But capitalism also allows for competitors. Part of that of course means some are allowed to fail and be bought up. If you start a company, you have a right to sell it and be compensated for the work you put into it.

Anyway, it's not like this would be the end. Others like Disney, Netflix etc. are also in the anime game, certainly nowhere as large or as exclusively anime as Crunchyroll, but Crunchy still has to compete in order to get the good stuff, besides the stuff funded directly by Netflix etc.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:16 am Reply with quote
NickCMedia wrote:
Kakalini wrote:
Knew this was coming, but still annoying--I much prefer Funimation's player and settings to CR's, and, crucially, CR has far few English closed captions. Funimation had some gaps, but Crunchyroll almost never has English CC and it makes watching so much harder, it's really unacceptable.

Actually, English closed captions have just started on Crunchyroll (I think this started earlier this week). For now, only a few recents have them. It'll take time for more to come.

Besides, I knew something was going down when closed captions were finally coming to Crunchyroll.

it feels like the twilight zone.

i mean think about it. if someone back in 2007/2008 told you that in 19 years from now, an infamous pirate streaming website like crunchyroll (which is what it was in those days alongside FAKKU in the eroge/hentai side) would one day go legit and acquire BOTH funimation & right stuff/nozumi animation, you would think that they are either trolling you ala an april fool prank or their EXTREMELY HIGH ON DRUGS!

while i knew all good things must come to an end, i definitely did not wanted it to end like this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:14 am Reply with quote
@jr240483

Crunchyroll did no such thing, at least not the Crunchyroll that started as a pirate site. Sony bought Funimation, Crunchyroll and Right Stuf!, merged them into one company and is remaking the result to suit its own ideas. The only thing left of the old Crunchyroll is the name. Don't let the name confuse you, this is all Sony's doing.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:00 am Reply with quote
Just to note, Chris Beveridge didn't make that Google document. What likely happened is he posted it because 3 months ago I posted this in The Fandom Post forums. It was originally found on the r/Crunchyroll subreddit.

Anyway, sad to see the brand finally retired for good a month short of its 30th birthday, further showing the corporatization of the anime industry. In the future more people will know what a Media Blasters is (they still exist) than a FUNimation which feels crazy. Things just feel so foreign now comparing things now vs. when I got into anime in November 2008 after the anime DVD bubble crash. You had multiple companies, they weren't owned by large companies (FUNimation was owned by Navarre at the time, but they weren't like an AMC Networks or Sony Pictures), and things still felt like they were by fans, for fans. Now you get so much corporate speak and there's very few companies left. So many anti-consumer moves made since the merger, and they've been met with gaslighting in the form of corporate speak. We're seeing so much history being rubbed away in favor of very aggressively rebranding everything as Crunchyroll. The FUNimation blog over the summer is now gone. I really hate how things are now, and the corporate atmosphere is suffocating.

The loss of digital copies doesn't affect me that much personally as when I could redeem them (they didn't always work), I didn't use them as I would rather watch the discs. I feel bad though for anyone that actually paid for any digital copies. This once again shows the problem with DRM and how it has crippled digital distribution. Content you paid for can just vanish, meanwhile if you still have a DRM-free digital copy or a disc, the content is still accessible.
jr240483 wrote:
it feels like the twilight zone.

i mean think about it. if someone back in 2007/2008 told you that in 19 years from now, an infamous pirate streaming website like crunchyroll (which is what it was in those days alongside FAKKU in the eroge/hentai side) would one day go legit and acquire BOTH funimation & right stuff/nozumi animation, you would think that they are either trolling you ala an april fool prank or their EXTREMELY HIGH ON DRUGS!

while i knew all good things must come to an end, i definitely did not wanted it to end like this!
As mentioned above, FUNimation bought Crunchyroll, not the other way around, but looking back at old articles vs. now is quite something. A small handful that appear at the very bottom of the encyclopedia entry for Crunchyroll.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-11/video-site-with-unauthorized-anime-gets-us%244m-venture
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-12/funimation-responds-to-crunchyroll-us%244m-funding
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-13/gonzo/gdh-reportedly-contacts-crunchyroll-video-site
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-05-22/crunchyroll-to-stream-adv-welcome-to-the-nhk
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-09/crunchyroll-to-add-new-gonzo-titles-12-adv-titles
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-11/gonzo-gdh-gets-capital-reveals-crunchyroll-investment
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-02/naruto.com-crunchyroll-hulu-begin-shippuden-streams
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-07/crunchyroll-posts-gonzo-last-exile-chrno-crusade-others

I'll also leave this here...
HelpMeHekuta wrote:
To commemorate the news that Crunchyroll is finally giving Funimation the axe, I'm releasing a new Sony global anime business #OrgChart (now with the results of Sony's international M&A spreed).
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFyNz95WYAAnuwF?format=jpg&name=orig
https://twitter.com/HelpMeHekuta/status/1755433946647552194

Would be nice if this country actually enforced antitrust for once. I did submit this (where I even reached the character limit) to the FTC back in August in the hopes something could happen but alas.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:22 pm Reply with quote
at least sony didn't try going after hulu which was also started off as a semi pirate site before going legit alongside crunchyroll in those days

also because of crunchyroll's past as a former pirate site, sony could have easily had done this to them instead of funimation, but sadly that didn't happened. and according to known anime minds like Jlist and others, its because of their own malpractice that caused this downfall. their article more or less shown the rights and wrongs of their time

https://blog.jlist.com/your-friend-in-japan/rip-funimation-whats-your-reaction-to-the-news/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6