• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Comix Classix App Censored for iPhone, Not iPad/Android

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
Typical. And you still have to be 17+ to buy, unlike the Android version, or how it is with other media in general.

And apple is not the "forward thinking" company they appear to be at all. If anything, they've regressed from their roots since Steve's return.

I find this so apropos in describing the current American sentiment today:
Quote:
Omaha had been the focus of a 1986 obscenity case that eventually led my biz partner, Denis Kitchen, to found the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. And here we are censoring Omaha again in 2011.

Quote:
Director Guillermo del Toro said it best during a Dark Horse panel I attended. He was talking about how censorship was an everyday battle in Hollywood. He said, “the MPAA is the seventh circle of Hell. I can decapitate eighty people and that’s okay, but sex is not.”
Spinal Cord Fluid-kun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
forward-thinking company like Apple

Wait! What? Laughing
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
And apple is not the "forward thinking" company they appear to be at all.

Apple has never been known to be forward thinking. Since the introduction of their Apple II machines, they've always been about proprietary control. Apple's systems are not open and will never be.

As for the topic, not surprising by anyone who knows how this business operates.

The only reason the app isn't blocked on the iPad is the attention the move would draw from the US government for anti-trust violations, given the iPad isn't a (mobile) phone, but more a personal computer.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Apple really is treading a very thin line here with its censorship. I know this isn't the first time and most likely wont be the last but there is a huge inconsistency with what they do specifically with this comic app. There are many manga apps out there (some well over a year) that just blatantly steal work from the creator without consent from the creators at all. Yet this one app gets taken down.

If apple is going to censor things they have to be transparent and obvious about what they do. This is a huge battle that honestly I don't think they should even be bothering with. There are so many flaws and inconsistent reasoning of why anything in the app store will get censored or pulled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1