• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Angels, Devils, and Goddesses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
kitsunelady wrote:
Our collections made the rest of you want to contribute too!? That is so cute. e.e *proud* I was pretty blown away by some of the first collections too, but...all of the stuff I've bought is dear to my heart, so I feel no shame. =D

I loved your collection. Sailor Moon box sets = win. And that gorgeous Escaflowne box is a glorious centerpiece. I've never seen that before. Does it hold VHS tapes? If so, it almost makes me wish I'd collected the series on tape too, just for that artwork.

Paul's puppy dog is so cute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chaosbladeuk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
Was there a Kaleidostar Box Set as well on the doggie!? Woo
Raelanura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else disagree with the "unbearably obnoxious" comment on the new AMG opening? I thought it was a beautiful song from the first time I heard it. Maybe it's just because of the bagpipes. I think they're an acquired taste... and being Scottish, well...
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
The game is pretty good if you like TRPGs. And its actually funny. if you are looking for the next Final Fantasy Tactics, you'll be disappointed as the game is not plot driven and rarely takes itself remotely seriously. But if you just want a solid (not particularly deep or complicated) TRPG battle system with fun characters to go with it, you'll probably like it.

In terms of story content, it's not deep or complicated, but while Disgaea is an easy game to enjoy, it's quite a deep game in terms of content.

Of course, I prefer the second one considerably more over the first one (recently became addicted to it for about the fifth time), but the first one's story and characters are worth keeping it around.

I'd say it's vastly superior to Tactics in terms of content, characters, story...and pretty much everything else, but I'm not a fan of the Final Fantasy Tactics games, so I'd take the woefully mediocre Kartia or Stella Deus over either FFT game.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I'm an Ah My Goddess fan and I wouldn't recommend the second season too highly, even to some fans. I'm buying it because I did enjoy some of the moments and that makes it overall more or less worth it for me, but I have to admit that the story slows down even more than usual AMG fashion. And yes, the characters do seem awful dull here. Maybe it's best that they're not jumping right into a third season, hopefully if/when they come back it'll be fresh again.

I've never seen the second season, but yet I'm still going to buy it since I'm such a big fan of AMG. Even if it doesn't top the first season (which would be tough to do anyway), I highly doubt that I won't be satisfied. As long as Belldandy remains the same, that's enough for me. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belisarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:02 am Reply with quote
One of the things I like about this column is that Bamboo provides reviews but at the same times gives a life context that portrays an anime fan who isn't a raving mad Otaku. Too often on internet forums we come across as 1 dimensional creatures, obsessed with FMA or Eva or yaoi or Berserk, or whatever. It's nice to see someone contextualizing anime in their life in a way that shows that, hey, we're normal people with a hobby too. Cheers to you and of course, GO SOX.

Last edited by belisarius on Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
One of the things I like about this column is that the author (calling a person Bamboo Dong, I just can't do it) provides reviews but at the same times gives a life context that portrays an anime fan who isn't a raving mad Otaku. Too often on internet forums we come across as 1 dimensional creatures, obsessed with FMA or Eva or yaoi or Berserk, or whatever. It's nice to see someone contextualizing anime in their life in a way that shows that, hey, we're normal people with a hobby too. Cheers to you and of course, GO SOX.

;_____; You know, that's my real name.
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
And that gorgeous Escaflowne box is a glorious centerpiece. I've never seen that before. Does it hold VHS tapes? If so, it almost makes me wish I'd collected the series on tape too, just for that artwork.

Yep, it was a complete VHS boxset sold by animevillage.com back in the day. First anime boxset I ever bought! But yeah, the art is the only reason I never parted with it. Anime hyper The pictures on the covers of the individual tapes are just as bee-yutiful!

Too bad they didn't use the same art for the DVDs. >_>!!!!!!
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
The first shelf-obsessed photo's filled me with shame. I was too embarrassed to send photo's. But these two made me feel like it was ok to contribute.
Yeah, I felt the same way before. The first couple of pictures that appeared in the column were scary huge collections that, well, kind of made you want to hide in a corner and twitch.

These make me more willing to show off.

Same here. I just might consider sending in a picture of my collection. It won't be anytime soon though. I'll probably wait until June, once I've gotten my May/June TRSI pre-orders. I can even spruce up the photo to include my stuffed animal. It's definitely not the norm when it comes to stuffed toys. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:54 pm Reply with quote
belisarius wrote:
One of the things I like about this column is that the author (calling a person Bamboo Dong, I just can't do it) provides reviews but at the same times gives a life context that portrays an anime fan who isn't a raving mad Otaku. Too often on internet forums we come across as 1 dimensional creatures, obsessed with FMA or Eva or yaoi or Berserk, or whatever.

Bamboo's tastes tend to line up with mine better than any of the other reviewers and staffers besides maybe Justin's. Although Zak and Key are nice people I'm often on opposite opinions with them, especially going back to the old new season previews (granted this is first episode impressions, but the Stellvia impressions are really funny) that Zak wrote. Key is so critical (I suppose that is a critics job) with his reviews and tends to not like the older titles. Bamboo does come across as a fan who actually enjoys most of the titles she reviews.

As for this issue I also loved the final Rumbling Hearts volume and had mixed feelings with the third Black Cat. I've avoided Disgea, and haven't got around to watching AMG 2 yet. I was a bit surprised at Tokko getting a worthy and Gaogaigar (on hiatus) making it to rental in last column though. Kurau, Solty Rei, Le Chevalier, and Noein (I would add the "Rental" Utawarerumono, Shana and Fate/Stay) are my favorites right now and Galaxy Railways was one of my favorites from last year. Shelf Life still needs to review Ergo Proxy.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Like the one commenter, those self-obsessed pics actually don't make me feel as shameful anymore lol. Being into anime for about 18 months now and, because of my budget, having to pick and choose what I buy, my shelf looks kind of bare (anime it makes up one shelf in my bookcase lol. At least my manga takes 2 shelves).

The 2nd pic looks like an assortment of "what I've recently watched"

The Kaleido Star box is the most recent anime DVD I purchased while I just finished Azumanga Daioh and Gunslinger Girl (and am looking for what available funds I have to buy them).
Asako

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Aww... there there Sad it's okay.. I know a friend named Ben Hurr... he doesn't know why his parents named him Ben.. Anime hyper
belisarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Ooops. You know, I'd always assumed it was an alias. Well, if it's any consolation it's no fault of your name that my mind is stuck firmly in the gutter. You now may resume stabbing/lighting on fire/decapitating/running over the hastily constructed voodoo doll that was made of me shortly after you read my post.
Nermal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 am Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
The first shelf-obsessed photo's filled me with shame. I was too embarrassed to send photo's. But these two made me feel like it was ok to contribute. Now I need something as cute as that dog to arrange my collection around.....

As many others have already posted, I totally feel the same way. When people were commenting "That's not so big, I have eleventy billion more dvds than that," I really didn't want to show mine off (yes, fear is the power of the dark side, I know). It's nice to see that it's not a competition. I shall submit a picture of my collection as soon as I learn how to properly sedate a kitten Wink

The only series I've picked up this time is KgNE/Rumbling Hearts, which I didn't initially plan on buying, but hey it was on sale at TRSI and I figured what the heck I need more shows that make me cry. I too found Mayu Mayu annoying as diarrhea forever.

I really enjoy Bamboo's reviews...it gets me all excited when I see something that I've bought and enjoyed in the Shelf Worthy section, and I like her witty comparisons and honest criticism, making Shelf Life my favorite column to read on ANN.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with your so called "review" of Oh My Goddess, Belldandy is supposed to have a non confrontational personality, you're totally missing the point behind the whole series-it's supposed to be about the relationship between a goddess and a mortal, if all you think it's about is shrieking and who can yell the loudest in relationship to a comedy skit-OPEN YOUR EYES and your ears. Why don't you go rip into some of my other fav series such as Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road? I realize no series is perfect and OMG sure isn't either-but on the whole it's strong points completly outweigh the weak ones. Keiichi is the everyman that we can all relate to, Belldandy is the perfect women we all fantasize about-that's the beauty of this series and the manga that it is based on. I do a lot of anime reviews for various sites-my point is simply this-do your research before you jump off the deep end with a millstone around your neck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6