• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cromartie High School (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote
The live-action movie is unbelievable. It's a great example on how to do an adaptation of a cartoon. It matched the wackiness and absurdity of the series perfectly, especially spoiler[the anti-smoking sequence!]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
One of the best gag series I could ever come across. Here is a school where there are a bunch of delinquents, but man, they are all clueless Laughing Like mentioned above, a robot, a gorilla, and Freddie. But what gets better is when there are other schools who try to pick fights with Cromartie, only to be driven away by Cromartie's strange ways.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I saw a clip of this at an Otakon one year and rushed out to buy it. The shows is just hilarious. I love the short 15 min episodes. It's a great way to get in a quicky watch before doing something. That was one quality I liked about Galaxy Angel. My friends I swear have ADD but love ATHF due to it's short episode length and great humor. They couldn't get enough of Chromartie. If you like this try Hare'+Guu, also very funny.
energydan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I snagged this show from the bargain bin a while ago and haven't watched it yet. I was thinking of starting it soon but was curious how the dub track is on it? I typically just watch the original track with subtitles but someone told me the dub was actually better, is this true?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
And talking of the manga - anyone recommend that after watching the anime?

I haven't watched the anime but the manga is one of the funniest things out there in the medium. It obviously continues on from wherever the manga left off, and it's an absolute joy to read each volume. It also does have an ending point, so it isn't something that continues on forever and ever. And really, I don't think that there are many other manga that can reach a lot of the absurdities that Cromartie High School... well, reaches.

Definitely recommend putting it up.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
It's a great way to get in a quicky watch before doing something.

I can think of better ways Very Happy

Sorry, coudlnt resist. Yeah, I think if those episodes were longer, I'd lose track of what was going on. Another problem with it was talk talk talk talk, and when your watching the subs, as I do, after a while you lose track of what's happening .
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
energydan wrote:
I snagged this show from the bargain bin a while ago and haven't watched it yet. I was thinking of starting it soon but was curious how the dub track is on it? I typically just watch the original track with subtitles but someone told me the dub was actually better, is this true?
The dub may very well be better--I was first exposed to CHS from The Anime Network, so the dub was the first thing I listened to. The comparisons to American cartoons like ATHF are on target, which is why English felt more "natural" than it does with other anime. Plus, there are no cute girl voices to do, which is often what drags dubs down. Aside from a few episodes, I watched the series dubbed, and ADV did a great job jazzing things up in the dialogue.

CHS itself is entertaining, and the short episode lengths play a big part in keeping the pacing in line. There were a few "miss" episodes, but most of the time I found myself laughing at the sheer absurdity of it all and wondering what they'd bring out next. It's also just so different from what I normally watch that it felt refreshing -- a friend of mine was surprised to see CHS on my shelves, because he didn't think it was my kind of anime.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
I love the liner notes that ADV includes with the DVDs as well as the odd colored cases. I will agree that there is an abundance of fast dialog and in jokes which makes this one almost as hard to translate as Excel. I enjoy how many odd events and characters that appear as one shots actually reappear in later episodes. I'm not sure if I prefer the OP song or either of the ED songs better since they are all amazing. I usually skip the OP credits, but Cromartie's opening is so funny.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The dub may very well be better--I was first exposed to CHS from The Anime Network, so the dub was the first thing I listened to. The comparisons to American cartoons like ATHF are on target, which is why English felt more "natural" than it does with other anime.

I thought the dub voice for Yamaguchi was funnier--his accent almost sounded like Chef from SOUTH PARK . With its rambling randomness and pointlessness it was similar to ATHF(and most of the other Adult Swim comedies, especially TOM GOES TO THE MAYOR, but CHS is actually funny), but the show it most reminded me of is SEINFELD.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I love the liner notes that ADV includes with the DVDs as well as the odd colored cases. I will agree that there is an abundance of fast dialog and in jokes which makes this one almost as hard to translate as Excel.

I watched a little bit of this series sub (I normally watch dub and sample the sub) and like you noted there so much back and fort dialog that often times it's hard to keep up with the text on screen. Such that you often times I felt like I was missing jokes.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I'm not sure if I prefer the OP song or either of the ED songs better since they are all amazing. I usually skip the OP credits, but Cromartie's opening is so funny.

I usually skipped both OP and ED for most anime (there are exceptions) but I love the OP, that song kills me....and the animation as well it fits perfectly with the anime.
Mercury Crusader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
My brother hates anime. HATES. We have a lot of the same interests, but he and I never did see eye-to-eye when it came to anime. Yet when I convinced him to watch it when it first aired on G4 (the only time I ever suggested anybody watch G4 for any reason ever), he loved this show. And he loves the live action movie. I'll need to get him the manga, it'll be right up his alley.

I rank this show up in my top five anime series, and I first watched it on a whim. I saw the first volume at Best Buy, and though I wasn't interested in buying it, I was compelled to purchase it, as if it were calling to me. I have this weird sixth sense about anime series that I know nothing about turning into pure awesomeness. That's how I first got into Excel Saga and Azumanga Daioh, too.
energydan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies on the dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the series this week and it's hiliarious. The comedy is just off the wall and all over the place. I read Vol.1 of the manga that came with the starter set as well and find it to be very entertaining. I'd like to buy more, but has ADV cut production like they do with all of their other manga, and how many actual volumes are there supposed to be?

I rated the anime Very Good for the sheer amount of randomness and absurdity in the script and character quirks. In particular, I like the episodes that involve Gorilla and Freddie saying absolutely nothing while also being the main characters of that particular episode (like the Pootan and Sushi restaraunt ones Laughing).

I got a vibe of AzuDai meets Excel here, only it's aimed strictly at guys. I also like a lot of the delivery by the seiyuu, as I think the fast-paced dialogue makes for funnier punch lines when they just speed up and raise their voices out of nowhere with those "air gust" sound effects.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how many volumes there are in total of the manga, but volume 10 just came out this month - that's so many that it must be selling... ADV isn't exactly shy about dropping titles when they feel like it as you know.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I rated the anime Very Good for the sheer amount of randomness and absurdity in the script and character quirks. In particular, I like the episodes that involve Gorilla and Freddie saying absolutely nothing while also being the main characters of that particular episode (like the Pootan and Sushi restaraunt ones Laughing).

No doubt Freddy and Gorillia owned every scene they were in. And Mechazawa. That sushi ep was great.

Tony K. wrote:
I got a vibe of AzuDai meets Excel here, only it's aimed strictly at guys.

Perfect comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4