• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, TV Tokyo Sue YouTube Users for Unauthorized Anime Uploading

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedHammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
People gotta get sued, otherwise they just keep doing it, I mean you throw an infraction at someone and delete their account, they'll just make a new account, but if you take them to court and make them pay any amount, even a pittance like 200 bucks or something, their gonna be highly hesitant to do that again.
Also for deterrence, if other prospective uploaders see how %^&ed these guys get, their probably gonna think twice about it.

People get mad at Cruch and Tok, but their just protecting something they've invested in. There well within their rights, and fully justified to funk up anyone who violates the law.
Anyone who's upset is just a filthy pirate themselves, let me steal your wages from you and then see how you react.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
JaggedHammer wrote:
People gotta get sued, otherwise they just keep doing it, I mean you throw an infraction at someone and delete their account, they'll just make a new account, but if you take them to court and make them pay any amount, even a pittance like 200 bucks or something, their gonna be highly hesitant to do that again.
Also for deterrence, if other prospective uploaders see how %^&ed these guys get, their probably gonna think twice about it.

People get mad at Cruch and Tok, but their just protecting something they've invested in. There well within their rights, and fully justified to funk up anyone who violates the law.
Anyone who's upset is just a filthy pirate themselves, let me steal your wages from you and then see how you react.

That is the thing. One person or thirteen getting sued doesn't deter anyone else from doing the same in this kind of infringement. So the company's actions end up looking hostile towards the fandom - even though they are completely within their legal right to claim what is theirs - and thus, create more uploaders to keep up the struggle, so to speak.

There must be a more workable solution to this, but it's not quite cut-and-dry as it would seem.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Viperblocker wrote:
For those who keep saying "Crunchyroll is legal now". Ummm..NO they're NOT they are still streaming anime they don't own the rights to and hoping they will come forward to make some kind of licensing deals with them. Pretty much there bating tactics are not through with.

Yes, thats why TV Tokyo owns part of them... Rolling Eyes
Viperblocker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Viperblocker wrote:
For those who keep saying "Crunchyroll is legal now". Ummm..NO they're NOT they are still streaming anime they don't own the rights to and hoping they will come forward to make some kind of licensing deals with them. Pretty much there bating tactics are not through with.

They don't own Crunchyroll they are only licensed to work with them for uploading there anime and streaming only, "not all anime is owned by TV Tokyo" if that's what you're trying to point out. Crunchyroll is a private company that hopes to do deals with most anime companies that come forward.

"The major reason why Viacom didn't buy Crunchyroll was because of the major problems with copyrights Crunchyroll was dealing with on the part of them uploading unauthorized anime."
Kirben

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Another pointless lawsuit which will only turn people off using their services. Especially because Crunchyroll isn't viable alternative for many.

Anime titles on Crunchyroll's are frequently region restricted, meaning people have no chance of seeing anime series. Crunchyroll's streaming doesn't allow buffering, so can be completely unusable on lower speed connections, and even high speed connections at times. It is a long time (2009), since Cruncyroll allowed episodes to be completely buffered, before play back.

I bought a 1 year subscription through their last Black Friday sale, but rarely have been able to get decent streaming, and too much content (old and new) is still region restricted. It is ridiculous, when I payed for a service, but still have to download fansubs, to actually see these anime titles!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Viperblocker wrote:

Huh? Which ones? Elucidate your outlandish claims. I think it would be hard to be a member in the AJA and LIMA if they did that. Also read their about page, "Crunchyroll is legal and acquires rights to distribute its videos."
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 pm Reply with quote
batou37 wrote:
Viperblocker wrote:

Huh? Which ones? Elucidate your outlandish claims. I think it would be hard to be a member in the AJA and LIMA if they did that. Also read their about page, "Crunchyroll is legal and acquires rights to distribute its videos."

yeah that Viperblocker guy is stupid to make this game of statement without point out which anime in CR is illegal.
Everything on CR is legal now. and yes, Tokyo TV does own parts of CR.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-25/crunchyroll-gets-us$750000-investment-by-tv-tokyo

Anton Chigurh wrote:

That is the thing. One person or thirteen getting sued doesn't deter anyone else from doing the same in this kind of infringement. So the company's actions end up looking hostile towards the fandom - even though they are completely within their legal right to claim what is theirs - and thus, create more uploaders to keep up the struggle, so to speak.

There must be a more workable solution to this, but it's not quite cut-and-dry as it would seem.

Fandom is not that important if you are not giving them money. Either you pay them or they don't care about you. Just like all business without money they can run their business. We are getting less anime compare to 7-8 years ago because many smaller anime studio went out of business in Japan.

They only produce shows that will make them money now, nobody wants to make big gamble. This leads to Fandom complain about moe shows and support them with less money. Less money = force anime studio to make more otuka shows because they have money. your so call fandom has no money, there is no reason to make shows for you.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Viperblocker wrote:
Jrittmayer wrote:
Viperblocker wrote:

They don't own Crunchyroll they are only licensed to work with them for uploading there anime and streaming only, "not all anime is owned by TV Tokyo" if that's what you're trying to point out. Crunchyroll is a private company that hopes to do deals with most anime companies that come forward.

"The major reason why Viacom didn't buy Crunchyroll was because of the major problems with copyrights Crunchyroll was dealing with on the part of them uploading unauthorized anime."

It doesn't look hostile to me, or many others. It's simply a company trying to protect it's property. They revenue TV Tokyo earns from these shows allows them to produce more episodes and different series. So someone who is uploading the show illegally (especially when it's available legally on other sites) seems more hostile to the fan base then me.

They're not going after fans of the shows. They're going after people who are illegally uploading it. Since I'm not uploading episodes of it, it doesn't seem hostile to me.
JaggedHammer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
JaggedHammer wrote:

I'd have to say a massive internet slaughtering lawsuit involving multiple anime licencing companies, and a bunch of illegal streaming sites, but that would take a lot of time and money.

But, I'd love to see it someday Very Happy
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:

Pot sues kettle. Wink HEH.

Of all things, I never expected to witness the sorry spectacle of someone in the anime business mocking anti-piracy and overlooking the interests of TV Tokyo while advertising his retail store. But there it is.

Incidentally, it's been interesting to observe how many have failed to acknowledge--let alone engage--the claim about these accounts being repeat offenders responsible for millions of illegal streams in favor of basically framing the issue as Crunchyroll singling out thirteen random kids just living their lives and minding their own business.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote
JaggedHammer wrote:

Nope. Doesn't work that way.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
JaggedHammer wrote:

Nope. Doesn't work that way.

Pray tell how it does not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Viperblocker wrote:

Wait what? Mind backing that statement up with something?

Viperblocker wrote:

I don't know what I'm reading. What is this? Did you put something you yourself wrote in quotations to make it seem more legitimate?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I think that the current piracy issues reflect, to a large extent, the disconnect between what fans want and what licencees are providing. My take is that fans outside Japan want what fans inside Japan take for granted - free to air anime. For sure, Japanese fans have to stay up till after midnight to watch new release shows (or, more likely, record them for viewing at a more civilised hour).

I'm not saying that the licencees aren't trying to give us what we want. They're just scrambling to catch up with the changing technologies. With the way legal streaming has come ahead in leaps and bounds over the last two years or so, I'm sure that in two years time we will wondering what the fuss was about.

One of the major hurdles to overcome is the hodge-podge of licensing deals that restrict streaming to some markets. The simultaneous world-wide release of Fate Zero is the way of the future. Either companies will get world wide rights, or Japanese companies will stream to the entire world, or multi-national alliances will be formed to distribute product to all regions.

We, the viewers, will be the winners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
See my previous comment about "high-profile titles." (And Nichijou definitely doesn't qualify for that label.)

Honest to god, I thought that said "titties."

errinundra wrote:
I think that the current piracy issues reflect, to a large extent, the disconnect between what fans want and what licencees are providing.

Simple solution: the IP holders give what the consumer wants......within reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7