• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam (movie trilogy).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:23 am Reply with quote
I'll try to explain best I can.

1. A newtype is a person who uses both sides of their brains. People on Earth only use half of their brain, so they have the unawakaned powers of a newtype. People in space, seem to advance more and have the ability to use both sides of their brain, giving them a sort of physcic power.

2.Unfortunatley, I only saw the series, and know nothing of the movies.

3.If you are watching them in order, than yes probably, since 08th MS Team happens in UC 0079. Than Gundam 0080, 0083, Z, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Gundam F-91, and V Gundam. (i'm almost positive these are the only ones and slap me if I forget any of the UC ones.)

4. There are a couple more. Gundam Zeta has Char and Amuro, as well as most of the White Base Crew again. Gundam Double Zeta also has Char and Amuro. And of course Char's Counterattack.

I think Gundam is some of the best series' out there. My favorite is Gundam Seed of the Alternate Univereses.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Ramiel_X on Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
3. Yes, 08th MS Team would be the next one you'd watch, in terms of timeline continuity. It takes place two months before the end of the One Year War, so it's actually happening at around the same time as Mobile Suit Gundam. Same thing with Gundam 0080, which takes place half a month before the war's end.

4. Unless I'm mistaken, the entire Gundam saga as it pertains to Amuro & Char is covered in Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ, and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:35 am Reply with quote
Zeta's coming out later this year. There's been no word as to ZZ, however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lobotomoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:36 am Reply with quote
1. Yes, that's basically it. After living in space for so many years, mankind begins to adapt to life up there. It is a sort of evolution to gain newtype abilities.

2. The movies were edited together using animation from the TV series. So, there isn't much of a difference between the two. They cover the same story.

3. Chronologically, both 08th MS Team and MSG movies take place almost simultaneously. Even though they do exist in the same universe, there is very little continuity of characters between the two. So, watching 08th MS Team is optional.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:42 am Reply with quote
1. Even within the Gundam world, there's some debate as to what exactly a Newtype is, because no two Newtypes are exactly alike. You actually didn't get screwed out of a good explanation by watching the movies, though. Truth is, the movies actually place more emphasis on Newtypes than the TV series did. The issue is raised very early in the movie trilogy, but in the TV series, it didn't arise until the last few episodes. Anyway, to answer your question, a Newtype is basically one with expanded awareness, some psychic abilities, and sometimes, other limited powers which vary from person to person. Some argue that they're the next stage in human evolution, but the conclusion reached by Gundam X (which is an alternate universe, so it's not necessarily authoritative, but it is the only series that really addresses the issue of what Newtypes are) is that Newtypes are basically "gifted freaks." The space colonist propaganda is that Newtypes emerge among people living in space, and that if all of humanity lives in space, they will eventually all evolve into Newtypes; however, there have been Newtypes that actually lived on Earth (Quess Paraya, Hathaway Noa, Usso Evin, Shakti Kareen, etc.), so that's not really true.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by an "extension" of the original TV series. Basically, the movies are just a condensed version with most of the fluff of the TV series cut out. A few of the major changes made: in the TV series, the White Base crew is incarcerated at Luna II and lots of unpleasantness happens, but in the movies, the crew at Luna II willingly helps them out without incident; in the TV series, White Base participates in Operation Odessa, where Amuro plays a critical role in disarming a nuclear missile, but in the movies, White Base didn't reach Eastern Europe in time for the battle; in the TV series, White Base visits Texas Colony after the Battle of Solomon and Amuro fights M'Quve, but in the movies, they visit Texas Colony beforehand as a rendezvous point for a small fleet before the Battle of Solomon, and the battle with M'Quve doesn't take place; in the TV series, Char's fate is unclear, but in the movies, he is clearly seen escaping from the Battle of A Baoa Qu.

3. The 08th MS Team is a sidestory. It adds very little to the overall story, it just gives you a look at some grunt soldiers and how the war affects them. You don't have to watch it next; you don't have to watch it at all. Chronologically, though, it would be the next series, followed by Gundam 0080, then Gundam 0083. Those four tell the complete story (at least as complete as it is in animation) story of the One Year War. Gundam 0083 actually doesn't take place during the war proper, but a few years later when a renegade Zeon force tries a last gasp run against the Earth Federation.

4. Amuro and Char both appear in Zeta Gundam, the true sequel to Mobile Suit Gundam. Amuro's role in the show is pretty limited, but Char is one of the principle characters. Amuro also appears briefly in the Gundam ZZ novelization, but neither one of them appears in the TV series.

Also, the Japanese cast recorded a new soundtrack because the old masters were in terrible shape. That's the only reason they got the old cast together to record it again. I'm pretty certain the script is the same as it was before, although other changes like certain sound effects and the placement of certain songs is different with the new soundtrack.

Edit: There were no replies to this thread yet when I first started writing this, otherwise I would have put this part in to begin with. To address Tony K.'s question:

Zeon Zum Deikun is, indeed, the father of spoiler[Char and Sayla]. He moved to Side 3, the colony cluster furthest from the Earth, in UC 0052 and began advocating his contolism theory. Basically, this theory held that humanity was obligated to migrate from Earth and allow the planet time to heal itself. By moving into space, humanity would achieve the next step in its evolution and people would become Newtypes.

In UC 0058, he declared Side 3 an independent republic. In UC 0068, he suddenly became ill and died. The official explanation was natural causes, but in actuality, he was assassinated by his righthand man, Degwin Sodo Zabi. His two children were hidden with the spoiler[Mass] family on Earth, where his son assumed the name Edward and his daughter, spoiler[Sayla] (spoiler tags because the name is still in use by that particular character during the series). Meanwhile in space, the Zabi family declared the Side 3 republic the Principality of Zeon, named in honor of its fallen leader.

Last edited by zaphdash on Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:43 am Reply with quote
And Gundam F-91 should be coming out this year as well.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:45 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

Is Zeta officially scheduled for this year? Cause I've been hearing that for a couple years now.
Iscariot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:49 am Reply with quote
I missed like the last 15 minutes of Char's Counterattack what happened in the end?
Ramiel_X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Zeta's scheduled for this year.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:01 am Reply with quote
Iscariot wrote:
I missed like the last 15 minutes of Char's Counterattack what happened in the end?

spoiler[Amuro defeated Char and captured his escape pod when he tried to get away. Then he turned his attention to Axis, which had been blown in half. One half was fine, but another was still on course to fall on Earth, so he had to take care of that. He positioned Nu Gundam under the falling piece and began pushing back; soldiers on both sides of the conflict abandoned the battle and began to help him, but he urged them to get away and save themselves. The psychic power of Amuro and all the soldiers pushing back against the asteroid resonated with Nu Gundam's psyco-frame and they succeeded in pushing Axis away; however, the psyco-frame overloaded and Nu Gundam exploded, killing Amuro and Char. This is left slightly open-ended in the movie: you COULD reach the conclusion that they somehow got away, if you really wanted to. But the novels say pretty clearly that they died, so it's not as debatable as the animation might lead you to believe. Amuro and Char died, but the Earth was saved.]
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Louie-kun wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

Is Zeta officially scheduled for this year? Cause I've been hearing that for a couple years now.

Yes, Bandai announced it at AX2003. The rep said that they were even going to release a subbed only box set BEFORE they released the indiviual dual audio discs.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:35 pm Reply with quote
The box set will be sub only? I'd rather wait and get the individual DVDs with a dub so I get more of my money's worth. Though, an art box would be nice.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
As I understood it, Bandai will release a limited edition sub only boxset for the hardcore fans first, and then do the normal releases later.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Legato 2057 wrote:
As I understood it, Bandai will release a limited edition sub only boxset for the hardcore fans first, and then do the normal releases later.

You understood it wrong. The box set will be sub/dub. It'll be the same as any other release, except that the box set is coming out before the individual volumes, which doesn't happen very often. One place (maybe Anime on DVD, but I don't remember for certain) did incorrectly report that it would be sub only, but Bandai later cleared it up.
eva05

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:46 pm Reply with quote
As long as it coems out as box set and we don't have to get 1 volume at a time over the course of the 2 years it would take to release each 4-5 episode disc.

50 episodes is quite a handful Anime smile

All hail Bandai USA Anime exclamation

j
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2