• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - All the Lovely Parasytes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:48 am Reply with quote
Great review, lots of series I haven't heard of or anything, so it was really very interesting this time! I'm also happy that Lovely Complex got a good review <3
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:02 am Reply with quote
Never knew TP was publishing more Okazaki. I guess I could whine about them not giving Anno another shot or even giving Okazaki a shot (wishful thinking I know), but josei is hard to come by so I'll just enjoy what I can get.

I wish more shojo like Love*Com would get published in English (in other words clever and affecting without being overly melodramatic). Lucky we have High School Debut to look forward to in '08.

And of course get review of Parasite, which is surprisingly has lived up to my old memories of reading the Mixx editions a few years ago. Hope its selling well so Del Rey will consider importing Histore.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
PARASYTE looks good. I meant to pick up the first book, but the store didn't have any copies. I've keep forgetting to order it but it sounds like just the angst i'd enjoy.

The cover to Suppli looks beatiful. Maybe it can replace my Tramps Like Us? (nothing will ever replace that in my heart *sigh*)

Uzumaki means spiral huh. That explains a lot about Naruto.

I loved NGE AD. When I finished NGE I was so torn and mentally gone that I wanted to visit the charcters again. I know its pure fluff and doesn't have much meaning but I enjoyed.

Good job as always.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Angelic Days for what it was. I like romance & possible pairings in my anime, so reading Angelic Days fulfilled that need for me in Evangelion (as did Re-Take, although that's another subject entirely). Think of it as a guilty pleasure for EVA fans who want some romance between the characters. Anime smile

But touching upon the Re-Take series for a brief moment, I really wish somehow (though I know it's impossible) that it could be officially released in the US in someway. Take away the brief amount of hentai in each volume, & you got yourself an amazing story. Definitely trumps the stuff in Angelic Days by far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty interested in checking Suppli -the characters are in my age range as well and the environment that the protagonist works in gives me the impression that this series definitely got something that I will feel I could relate to.

I'm not sure about Uzumaki though -the premise looks nice, but I think I should wait and see how the next volume will fare before checking it.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The high-school friendship and romance angle is cute, but come on, that's just filler material for überfans who think pairing up characters in a series is more important than the actual story.

Unfortunately, that seems to be just about the only thing the fanbase ever debates about these days.
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
Parasyte is quite good so far. The only reason I read it was because of the strange cover art, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It has good artwork and great writing and it's enough to make me want more at the end of each chapter.

I'll be intrested in buying the other volumes when they're available.

Last edited by Pityless/Envy on Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Suppli drama, so I just ordered the manga as well. The cover art looks great!
Vashy335

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:

I'm not sure about Uzumaki though -the premise looks nice, but I think I should wait and see how the next volume will fare before checking it.

If you are wanting a seriously messed up series then Uzamaki might work for you. I read the original releases and I tried to show them to my dad who couldn't even finish the series because after volume 1 the second volume and then the third volume become extremely hard to stomach. As they get closer to the spiral the series gets a lot more disturbing.
Vashy335

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:

If you are wanting a seriously messed up series then Uzamaki might work for you. I read the original releases and I tried to show them to my dad who couldn't even finish the series because after volume 1 the second volume and then the third volume become extremely hard to stomach. As they get closer to the spiral the series gets a lot more disturbing.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
Suppli sounds like it could be really good. Yet another series to add to my "to read" list (along with Love*Com which has been there for awhile).
Berserkfury819

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Parasyte looks awesome, I need to read it. I admit I am not a huge fan of the romance genre, but there are a couple of titles I like. I kind of want to read love*com now, mostly because I'm a short guy myself. Finally, I am really looking forward to seeing how the Evangelion manga ends.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I wish more shojo like Love*Com would get published in English (in other words clever and affecting without being overly melodramatic). Lucky we have High School Debut to look forward to in '08.

Your tastes are impeccable, my friend. =D
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I need to pick up Parasyte pretty soon. I remember reading it back when it ran in Mixxzine all those years ago, and while it was fairly gory compared to my typical fare (I read Mixx for Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth), I still thought it was 'neat.'

After receiving such a glowing review I'll probably check out Love*Com during the next Viz sale at Right Stuf.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Parasyte is turning into one of my absolute favorites. I disagree that the lack of philosophical points in the second volume compared to the first is a negative, though. There's enough tension with the characters and story developments to replace that, and having to constantly raise questions would just be trite.

I also love some of the Q&A portion that were reprinted in the book. The one about the American President is simply amazing and honest.

Angelic Days is downright awful, but enjo-- well, not even that.

Though any anime to manga adaption is pretty much doomed to fail -- that includes Sadamoto's adaption of Evangelion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2