• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell's Kamiyama Announces 009 Recyborg Anime Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
Not SAC3, and in lousy CG to boot.
DanDood666

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
This makes me a sad panda Sad I was really hoping for GitS:3rd Gig. its been 7 years since the last series, its about time for more Major action! (Pun totally intended)
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
Oh... darn.

Well, good for the 009 fans out there. I'll just have to wait a bit longer for SAC 3rd Gig.
kiddtic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
The trailer has slightly changed my disappointment to optimism, sure Cyborg 009 has been adapted to death and has been average every-time but this is Kenji Kamiyama afterall and Im sure he will have a unique take on this universe and its characters.

I was hoping for another original animation but then He is not a writer but a Director in the end right. It bugs me that its CGI though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Interesting. Is there any connection between this and 009-1?

Still, yeah, TOTALLY disappointed it's not GITS: SAC 3, but also not surprised. The GITS: SAC storyline never followed the manga after all, and "Endless Gig" really is the perfect yet open ending. Plus, we DID get SSS.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not liking the CGI, it makes the characters look too stiff. I would've preferred that it be a regular anime movie, but thats just me...
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah I was hoping for 2D animated film.... I'm sorry but Japan still isn't there yet with making good 3D animated films yet. There close, I liked some of the animation sequences in the trailer, but still no where near as smooth as it needs to be.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm absolutely fine with the idea of yet another Cyborg 009 production, even if a 3D CG film wouldn't be my favorite format, as long as it turns out to be good. Who knows, maybe Kamiyama will also try to break at least a little bit of new ground and mix up or re-interpret the source material in interesting ways.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
I was excited to hear he was announcing something new, and was still excited when I saw 009, then I saw it was CG. Ugh. Kamiyama is a great director, so maybe he'll make it work, but Japan is simply not there yet with CG animation. It still looks awkward and stiff. As I was watching the trailer I could only think "man, this would look so good hand drawn."

I kinda wish this were a sequel to The Skull Man done in the same vein of that show.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote
O.o They made Jet a blonde....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
He's a redhead. Jet's fiery personality is that of a redhead.

Why did they give 008 a goatee Laughing Shocked
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Um, SAC3? Please?!
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:36 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Interesting. Is there any connection between this and 009-1?

The manga for both were created by Ishinomori, but they are apparently not in the same "universe".
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Personally, I'm absolutely fine with the idea of yet another Cyborg 009 production, even if a 3D CG film wouldn't be my favorite format, as long as it turns out to be good. Who knows, maybe Kamiyama will also try to break at least a little bit of new ground and mix up or re-interpret the source material in interesting ways.

Agreed, even if a third SAC is what I too really wanted after all the time since 2nd Gig and hope we'll still get some day, I'm still going to be looking forward to this since it's Kamiyama and I did like the 2001 009 series (and 009-1) when I watched it on Cartoon Network.

Yeah, I'd love to see them re-interpret the material a bit especially with him both directing and writing. I liked the nice modernizations in the trailer and could totally see that working with Kamiyama involved and it was still very familiar as 009 (and 003 pulling a "Major" even if 009 probably catches her was cool Smile).

Kenji Kawai doing the music should be kick-ass too as I always love his action music.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting. I like the character designs and I have faith in the production values being better than what we're seeing in the trailer. A lot of Japanese CG movie trailers tend to look clumsy and sluggish at first, but look better in the final product.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
at least half of the character designs i'm rather displeased with Sad I'll watch it anyway, because i'm a sucker for anything 009 related, but just.. I've no expectations.

and a SAC 3 at some point would be pretty sweet too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2